| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are headlamps supposed to stay up with vacuum disconnected?  (Read 1246 times)
Grapes

« on: October 17, 2022, 02:32:45 pm »

Hi, Figured I'd make a small new topic. I disconnected the vacuum solenoid and plugged the main hose because the solenoid is very broken (technically the plastic valve part) and figured I could rely on the manual operation whilst waiting for new parts but I noticed once I pop the lamps up they will droop after a few meters. I always thought the whole point was that they would stay upright in case of a vacuum problem, is that a misconception of me? If they droop, does that mean I need to chance the spring that's in the system?
Matraman

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 05:22:28 pm »

There's a hinge joint in the mechanism which is supposed to go beyond its straight position and lock there, but often the stop adjustment doesn't allow this to happen. If you can access the stop adjuster, which I think is through the removed left(?) headlight hole you might be able to allow the mechanism to lock in place. I'm not sure how you would get the lights to drop down again though without suction from the actuator.

Andrew
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 09:44:51 pm »

Hi, Figured I'd make a small new topic. I disconnected the vacuum solenoid and plugged the main hose because the solenoid is very broken (technically the plastic valve part) and figured I could rely on the manual operation whilst waiting for new parts but I noticed once I pop the lamps up they will droop after a few meters. I always thought the whole point was that they would stay upright in case of a vacuum problem, is that a misconception of me? If they droop, does that mean I need to chance the spring that's in the system?

You have obviously not read or down-loaded my technical article on the head light system.  All is explained in that, with diagrams, so check it out now.  Yes, the head lamp pods will stay up without vacuum as long as they are adjusted correctly.

As for getting them down again without any vacuum, that is easy and also explained in the article.  You simply reach under the front and push the bar that connects the two pods together, backwards slightly to take the pivot point passed the locked position.  Then you can simply push the pods gently back down all the way.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:58:11 am by roy4matra » Logged

Grapes

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 03:46:22 pm »

Yep, nope, sorry I forgot again. Will check, thanks Roy!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: