| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sump or carter plug size?  (Read 2149 times)
Grapes

« on: March 23, 2023, 09:26:20 pm »

Is it sump or carter by the way?
Either way. I'm looking for the size so I can buy spare ring seals instead of having to buy a whole assortment and ending up with a bunch of unused ones that just sit and collect dust for eternity.
Planning to do the oil change this weekend and last time I didn't order the correct size I think so I ended up re-using the old one which worked well enough but I don't want to risk that again.
Grapes

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 12:15:36 am »

Someone suggested 13.5 outer diameter 10mm inner diameter. Still none the wiser but it seems to match what autodoc thinks it is. Then again I have gotten wrong parts based on that before 😅
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:39:15 pm »

Is it sump or carter by the way?

That is just the difference in languages.

In English we say 'the oil sump' or simply 'the sump', but sometimes the term used could also be 'the sump pan'.

In French 'oil pan' is 'carter d'huile' so you can see why 'carter' is a term for the sump and a sump plug (or oil pan plug) in French would be bouchon de carter d'huile.

Either way. I'm looking for the size so I can buy spare ring seals instead of having to buy a whole assortment and ending up with a bunch of unused ones that just sit and collect dust for eternity.
Planning to do the oil change this weekend and last time I didn't order the correct size I think so I ended up re-using the old one which worked well enough but I don't want to risk that again.

I answered this question about sump plugs in one of your earlier postings, in May 2021!  This is why each posting should stick to one topic and not mix things as I have said before.

If you have a flat copper washer on the sump plug, then it is perfectly OK to re-use it as long as it is not damaged or degraded in any way, such as being bent, or has a scored surface.  This car did not use a crushable copper washer, such as Renault often use on their sump plugs.  You cannot re-use a crushable copper washer.  After they have been crushed once when you tighten the plug, they deform to the shape of the joint.  They cannot be used a second time as they would no longer be able to be deformed to match the joint a second time.

As for diameter, whoever suggested an inner diameter of 10mm and an external diameter of 13.5mm is totally wrong!  In the first place the difference is just 3.5mm which means the width of the washer would be just 1.75 mm.  Rubbish and that diameter is far too small.

The width of the copper washer should be about 3mm which means the external diameter is 6mm more than the internal one.

I don't have one to hand as mine are in my garage, but I'm sure the internal diameter is roughly 20mm and the external diameter 26mm, and they should be 1mm thick.  You could also use a suitable Dowty sealing washer, which is a washer that has a rubber seal all around the internal diameter.  I keep some of both in my stock, but obviously the Dowty washers are slightly more expensive than simple copper ones.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:57:36 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Grapes

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 04:45:02 pm »

Aaah, I already thought I'd asked it before and tried searching but couldn't find it. Sorry for being a slow learner Roy 😔😅 and thank you for your patience.

20-ish MM sounds much more realistic to me indeed. The whole weekend is raining so I'm postponing the maintenance a bit. Got the oil and fuel filters in later than expected as well. A dowty sealing washer sounds like the way to go. I'll try and figure out what size it is and find one.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 01:16:32 pm »

Aaah, I already thought I'd asked it before and tried searching but couldn't find it...

For you and all others that use this forum, the searching is quite easy.  On the forum index page where all the general and model categories are listed, simply click on the 'search' menu item at the top of the page.  Now fill in the box at the top with what you want to search for, then go to the bottom of that page and untick 'Check all' just above the button for Search, and tick the individual model that you want to search against, on the right, so in this case put 'Sump washer' in the search box at the top left, and tick against 'Murena' in the list on the right.  Now go to that button at the bottom of the page and click on 'Search'.

Almost immediately three topics are listed with the words 'washer' and 'sump' high lighted.  As there are only three topics listed in this case, you could simply read through them all in just a few minutes and probably find what you want.

Roy

Grapes

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 02:33:26 pm »

I think I searched for things like "sump plug size" rather than sump washer. It did not produce my big repairs thread in any case.
Grapes

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 04:13:26 pm »

Inner/outer diameter : 20mm/26mm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: