| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ordering goods from Europe for the UK after Brexit  (Read 2529 times)
AlanMurena1.6UK

« on: June 01, 2022, 03:38:57 pm »

To anyone in the UK –has anyone ordered Murena parts from Europe, e.g. from Simon in Germany, since Brexit? I’ve read and re-read a load of articles on this subject but I’m still not quite sure whether (a) VAT gets charged, (b) customs gets charged, and (c) an administration fee gets charged – by the courier. I’d like to order parts worth around 39 Euros this time round (approx, £30), but if it's going to cost a lot more I'll have to have a rethink.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:27:38 pm by AlanMurena1.6UK » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 02:46:45 pm »

To anyone in the UK –has anyone ordered Murena parts from Europe, e.g. from Simon in Germany, since Brexit? I’ve read and re-read a load of articles on this subject but I’m still not quite sure whether (a) VAT gets charged, (b) customs gets charged, and (c) an administration fee gets charged – by the courier. I’d like to order parts worth around 39 Euros this time round (approx, £30), but if it's going to cost a lot more I'll have to have a rethink.

Hello Alan,

I've always bought from Simon for many years, but I do tend to buy in large amounts as i re-sell them here to Murena owners, so my orders tend to be much larger than the figure you are talking about.  After Brexit I asked Simon how we would deal in future and in my case he would charge me without VAT and I would pay the VAT here when it arrives in the country and before it could be delivered.

However, for amounts under approx. £136 bought in Europe it appears you pay the VAT at source and it gets delivered to you without any additional cost.  You wouldn't pay the courier as that is paid as part of your invoice.  i.e. the courier charge would be part of your invoice from Simon or whoever.  Simon usually uses DHL and they either deliver themselves or it is handed over to the Royal Mail or Parcel Force when it enters the U.K. and they deliver.

However, can I ask what you are buying as I might already have it in stock.  Or some if not all what you are wanting.  Please email me if you prefer at roy@matraclub.org.uk

Roy

AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 04:18:42 pm »

Thanks Roy. I’ve finally got round to replacing the bottom front rubber suspension bushes, as first mentioned in a previous post last year. I need:

• 4 x 11054 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush (O/S at Matra Magic)

Also the top bushes are OK but old and cracked, so ideally should be replaced as well:

• 2 x 11049 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush, upper

• 2 x 11051 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush, lower

If you don't have these then I'll take a chance and order direct.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 04:52:31 pm »

Thanks Roy. I’ve finally got round to replacing the bottom front rubber suspension bushes, as first mentioned in a previous post last year. I need:

• 4 x 11054 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush (O/S at Matra Magic)

Also the top bushes are OK but old and cracked, so ideally should be replaced as well:

• 2 x 11049 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush, upper

• 2 x 11051 – lower front shock absorber rubber bush, lower

If you don't have these then I'll take a chance and order direct.

Sorry those items are not in my stock currently, but if Simon has stock you should be able to get them directly from him.

Roy

AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:33:21 pm »

Thanks for checking Roy. I've ordered from Simon and will post my experiences here for UK readers.

AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 08:51:49 pm »

My order from Simon in Germany arrived today – and no extra charges! (Under £135.)

I asked the Parcel Force delivery man about this, and he said that if there were charges I would have been contacted before any delivery was made.

Here are some quotes from Moneysavingexpert and Which? consumer magazine:

‘According to the rules around VAT charges, a total order of under £135 from an EU seller should include a VAT charge at the point of sale. If the total cost of your order is more than £135 or your gift is over £39, VAT is often collected at the point of delivery. Since the UK is no longer part of the EU's VAT regime, the new rules require EU sellers to register with HMRC to account for VAT in order to sell to the UK. While most larger retailers are likely to be registered for VAT, the smaller ones might not be.’

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/brexit-the-new-online-shopping-and-delivery-charges-you-need-to-know-aXEsX8G2Gv6K

‘If you order online from the EU and the consignment value – the total order (minus delivery charges and taxes) – costs £135 or less, you shouldn't have to pay anything extra. VAT will be included in the price you're shown when you pay online – as it was prior to Brexit – and there's no customs duty to pay. As a result, you shouldn't face courier handling fees either.’

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/buying-online-from-europe-post-brexit/

It looks like Simon was registered properly. Of course, anything more than £135, e.g. a set of stainless steel water tubes, will be different.

It would be interesting to know what happens when you order from other people. I ordered items from VTO Pieces in France before the grace period expired with no problems. Shortly after the grace period expired, all the English disappeared from their website. I wonder why!
Grapes

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:24 am »

"the new rules require EU sellers to register with HMRC to account for VAT in order to sell to the UK."

Tried to find instructions for this and couldn't, then tried to phone them and spent 10 minutes on hold and lost the will to live. I can understand why sellers with low UK export volumes don't register.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: