| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena Road Tax Exemption and Classic Car Status (UK Only)  (Read 3127 times)
AlanMurena1.6UK

« on: February 13, 2023, 11:37:17 am »

I’m just wondering if anyone has applied and managed to get road tax exception (classic car status) from the DVLA for a Murena in the UK. All I have for my Murena is two foreign MOT-equivalent documents that happen show the first registration date; I have no original documents at all. My understanding is that the DVLA has got stricter since this scheme was introduced. Matra appears to just make electric bikes now. Do they still have anything? If so, has anyone approached them? Or are we to just go on paying the full road tax rate (and MOT) every year, when owners of British classic cars have got their exemption?
JL

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 05:52:09 pm »

On the front of your V5C in the special notes section at the bottom of the page do you have any reference to manufacture date?

Cheers
John
AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:07:25 pm »

Yes, it says 'Declared manufactured 1982'. And inside on the next page, under Vehicle Details – B, it has: 'Date of first registration: 14 07 1982'. I imported the car myself in 2015 (pre-Brexit) and I must have filled in these details somewhere. I do remember sending a covering letter, the Portugeuse MOT sheets and some other other paperwork with the import application. It looks like that have accepted the dates.

Does that mean my application will be successful?
lewisman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:18:10 pm »

Watching with interest!
JL

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 10:07:35 pm »

Ok, here is information I received from the DVLA when I enquired about my '83 Murena. I could not decide if in fact they are correct for my car but for an '82 it should be fine, nevetheless I will give it a try but not until April which is their trigger month for a 40 year old vehicle - we will see!

Cheers
John

"Thank you for your enquiry.

It may help if I explain that the vehicle does qualify for the 'Historic' tax class. In order to amend the tax class to historic, you can apply in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

- V5C Registration Certificate

- V62 Application for a registration certificate if you are not in possession of the V5C* (You will need the VIN/Chassis Number to complete the application)

- valid MOT Certificate (if applicable) or V112 ‘Exemption from MOT testing’ form

- valid insurance certificate or cover note for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address (downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable, however photocopies are not)

*Please note that there is a £25 charge if a V62 is completed.

You should write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

Vehicles manufactured more than 40 years ago are exempt from MOT testing.

Please be aware that it is the keeper or driver of the vehicle’s responsibility for ensuring the vehicle is in a road worthy condition and safe to be driven on the road.

All our services are operating within normal turnaround times as paper applications are being processed within 3 to 4 weeks.

Please allow 4 weeks for your new documents to be sent to you if applying by post. Please do not call us within those 4 weeks as your application will be processing and we will not be able to provide further information.

Information regarding any DVLA services can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-services-update

More information on the Historic vehicle tax class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles.

Form V62 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Form V112 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

I trust this is of assistance to you."
Gib

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 04:09:15 pm »

As with anything official its worth putting the actual date it occurred as changes happen regularly.

14th Feb 2023

So today i have just gone to the post office with my :

V112 stating "r" as the reason i would like historic status.
V5C No changes required except tax status
V11
MOT Cert ( I registered the car for the first time in the UK last year)
Insurance details

They kept and have sent away :

V5C + V112 + Mot Cert.

Now i have to wait and see what happens.

20230214_074058 by creativeq, on Flickr
AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 06:52:20 pm »

Thanks everyone, will get the necessary paperwork together tomorrow and send off. Then it's a 4 week wait I think. Will report back with the results then.
tonyz59

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 02:31:29 pm »

my v5 for the murena . does not have section 7 onwards.  my other car v5 does.  so section 1 for vehicle changes, no where to sign though. On the front under special notes. Was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1982. My V5 looks the same as Gib posted.
AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 06:53:59 pm »

15 Feb 2023

Actually after some searching I've discovered I have official Portugeuse registration document for the car, which shows the original date of first registration (14/07/1982). This was sent to the DVLA with the V55 (import form), plus a covering letter. I  can see I entered this first registration date on the V55 and the DVLA accepted it, presumably because the Portugeuse registration document was attached. The date of manufacture must therefore be before this date, so let's hope they agree with this logic!

Incidentally, the way it seems to work is that you have to wait around for the 1st of April each year for the previous year's (minus 40 years) registrations. Here's what an official DVLA document says for this year:

'From 1st April 2023, owners of vehicles built before 1st January 1983 can apply for the exemption. Therefore, vehicles which first launched in the UK in 1982 will be joining the list of eligible vehicles this year.'

That should mean me, plus anyone else who's cars were made and/or first registered in 1982.
Here's a link to the document:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1060693/inf34-taxing-historic-vehicles.pdf

Gib

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 08:37:15 am »

Ta Da , took five weeks instead of the stated 4 weeks. But its back and all ok as far as i can tell the online status has been updated as well so all good to go .
20230411_202656 by creativeq, on Flickr
Grapes

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 01:40:04 pm »

Fantastic, congratulations! 🎉
AlanMurena1.6UK

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 01:58:45 pm »

Pipped at the post!

I took my V5C and self-signed MOT exemption form to our nearest main post office on 1st April and they did it all there in minutes. I was so stunned I did ask if I could drive the car that day and they looked at me as if I was mad – “Yes, of course.” Naturally it went out the same day.

I haven’t had my V5C form back yet but I did get a small receipt from the post office that says ‘Taxed’. Just in case I’ve checked online and yes, it is!

Thanks to everyone, I think it’s the ‘Date of First Registration’ that made it work. I wish I could help others who don’t have this, it would be helpful if there’s any advice for those in this situation…
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 04:07:50 pm »

The date of first registration only works if it was registered new in the UK.  If it was previously used abroad then the date of first registration will be the date on which it was first registered in the UK, however there should be a note in the special notes on the front page of the V5C saying when it was declared  manufactured.  If you don't have this then you may have to get proof of age, MECUK members can ask the Club for assistance in this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: