| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena 2.2 oil pumps  (Read 557 times)
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« on: May 25, 2024, 12:24:14 pm »

Hi. I have noticed that Politecnic has two different chains for the oil pump in the Murena 2.2.
A chain with 44 links  for the normal  i.e. 115 HP engine and a chain with 48 links for the Murena S.
Are the oilpump in the two engine types different or are the pumps the same but with different cog wheel and resulting in a different gearing.

Thanks Hans
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 10:41:16 am »

Hi. I have noticed that Politecnic has two different chains for the oil pump in the Murena 2.2.
A chain with 44 links  for the normal  i.e. 115 HP engine and a chain with 48 links for the Murena S.
Are the oilpump in the two engine types different or are the pumps the same but with different cog wheel and resulting in a different gearing.

Thanks Hans

Hello Hans, there is only one pump part number listed in the parts manual but it gives two dimensions for the height of the pump body (44mm or 57mm) so there must have been two versions made at some stage by Simca/Talbot.  There is no mention in the parts manual about the 44 link chain being for the standard 2.2 and the longer chain being for the 'S' model so I'm not sure where you got that information.  I have worked on some 'S' and they had the same 44 link chain as the standard 2.2 Murena, so it doesn't appear to be for that reason.  It's more likely that it was a normal engine design improvement/update, similar to the  change from a 5-bolt flywheel to a 7-bolt one.  I've never seen a 7-bolt crank and flywheel and that includes the 'S' I've worked on - they have all been 5-bolt, so that is another misconception that it was only for the 'S'.  It was really just an update probably to improve reliability or for some other unstated reason, and appeared on later cars, and since the 'S' was the last of the Murena, they are more likely to have these than earlier ones.  If you had a pump with the taller (57mm) body then you would need the 48 link version of the chain.

Roy

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 03:53:29 pm »

Hello Roy
I got the info from Politecnic's homepage.
Hans
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 06:55:32 pm »

Hello Roy
I got the info from Politecnic's homepage.
Hans

Personally I wouldn't trust that then, Hans! Smiley

I have noticed other things on his website that are not strictly correct too, and since I have the original official Matra microfiche (in English as well as French) from 1983 to 1988 versions, and none of them list the 48 link chain or pump as being from the 'S' model, it is more likely as I stated previously.  These were probably late Talbot modifications to the engines they produced, and so some might think they apply to the 'S' as that was the last of the Murena, but as they were all built in 1983, they may or may not have these.  Certainly those I have stripped have only had the 44 link chain and corresponding pump.

Roy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 03:38:19 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: