| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Spax dampers  (Read 34571 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: January 05, 2007, 01:08:20 pm »

In my quest for better suspention, I am finally down to considering the spax kit (not the one that replaces the torsion bars)..
But i think I remember reading somewhere that they tend to leak!... do anybody have eny experiences with these?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:11:39 pm »

Bernhard has experience and doesn't like them at all: "Beim Spax Fahrwerk titt oft das Problem auf, daß die hinteren Dämpfer eine sehr schwache Funktion zeigen, nachdem sie eingebaut werden. Dies kommt nicht nur von der schlechten Abstimmung und Qualität, sondern auch weil diese durch den Transport und die liegende Lagerung Luft im Dämpfungsöl haben. Der Grund ist die Konstruktion: der Luftraum zum Volumenausgleich ist nicht wie bei hochwertigen Einrohr-Gasdruckstoßdämpfern voneinander getrennt."

http://www.technikhomepage.de/kfz/fahrwerk/feder.html

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 06:24:26 pm »

yahh.. I had a look around, and Bernard dosnt seem to be the only guy that's less then impressed by the spax kit.
Bilstein would be my first choice as Its my impression that they are generally regarded at the best dampers on the market (for the price)
Sadly it doesnt seem like they have anything for the murena, so I guess I will go for a set of konis (of witch I have heard only good things).
Ill then try to find some harder rear springs to go along with them, theres a place in the UK called "rally design" that have all sorts of different shapes and sizes.... Ive bought stuff from them before (for my manta) and it seemd ok... Now all i need is to find out the specs of the original murena springs. 
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 09:34:30 pm »

Hello krede  Smiley I bought Murena 2,2S few months ago with Spax shock absorbers. The car was improoved by them in cca 1998, in 2001 was damaged the engine and than the car was standing outside for 5 years. I can say that they are clear with no leaking around.

jos

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 09:37:18 am »

Bilstein is available here :

http://www.politecnic.com/amortisseurs.htm

instead of Spax fully adjustable please use GAZ !
http://www.gaz-shocks.com/
http://www.steijntaxaties.nl/  ( ask for Brit )

regards
Jos
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

Jos!!.. your the man!!! thanks!!... the spax didnt really appeal to me anyway..
You wouldnt happen to know where to get stiffer rear springs aswell would you?
Tricky Dicky

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:48:08 pm »

Have you thought about using AVO shocks and springs. I used them on my previous classic and was very impressed they also repair their shocks as well if the seal goes in fact they will refurb them for you. There service is second to none!
I found them very helpful
Here is there web address

http://www.avouk.com/
And here is there e-mail address for any queries
sales@avouk.com
I do not work for AVO or have anything to do with AVO just want to pass on what I hope is useful info
Richard
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:05:04 pm »

Any advice is welcome mate  Smiley.. however.. it appears to me they only make "replacement" dampers, and not complete kits for Talbot.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:10:16 pm by krede » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:44:18 pm »

Ive just heard back from GAZ, and they will make me a complete kit for just over £400 + vat and carrige.....next to the spax kit, thats very cheap if you ask me, and Ive used GAZ dampers before with no problems. So i think Ill go for it again.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 08:26:39 pm »

Is this for a standard setup or is it lowered?

- Anders

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 08:30:17 am »

I'm not sure.. but since they will have to make it specially for me, I guess I can choose  Smiley ... anyway they write that its adjustable shocks AND adjustable springs.. so...
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:06:22 pm »

Interesting!

Still using the torsion bars in the front, I hope?

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 09:16:40 pm »

Yep... never felt for loosing the torsion bars in the first place.. and after What Lennart said about the frame twisting , its a no no for sure Smiley
jos

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 07:03:11 am »

You are welcome Krede Wink

The Spax are indeed really overpriced at our beloved matra parts suppliers. Value for money is no good. Spax for my other car prove that. And there is Spax and Spax of course. Think they used a cheap dampener and worked their idea out from that for the Murena. Okay there are some developing costs/return on investment / stock etc. but the sales price is really crazy. Since Spax was the only possibility for the Murena if you want to lower/adjust etc they just kept the price high.

I do not know if it is tecnically possible but you could order a set with springs for the front and leave the springs out. Whenever you decide to go for springs in the front you can just remove the torsion bars and add the springs  Undecided 
The set you order should be height adjustable ( rear only than ) plus damping adjustable of course ( uitgoing dampening that is )

Have a nice weekend Cool
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:09:40 am by jos » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 01:02:47 pm »

Yep.. the ones i have ordered are hight adjustable in the rear.. and use "coil over" dampers in front.. in addition to the torsionbars.. should be nice  Smiley.. any yep.. next to the spax kit, the GAZ one seems like good value indeed
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: