| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unglue/unloose the rear carbody  (Read 11608 times)
Jacobosterlindh

« on: January 10, 2007, 01:57:08 pm »

Thinking about to check and fix some rust on my bagheera -74 and wonder about how to loosen up the body the easyest way.

Is there a 1-2-3-Step? Something i should be careful with?
I don't want to cut in my bagheera so, as much information as possible would be great!

And what glue should i use when putting all together afterwards?

Greetings, Jacob Ö - Sweden
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:58:48 am »

If you don't want to cut the body, it will be difficult due to the length of the rear body.
Start by preparing a wooden stand for it otherwhise, you might break the body once you will remove it.

Also, there is an annoying difference between the serie 1 ( yours) and 2 in the way the front part of the roof is glued on the chassis.
On the serie 2, it's only glued over the chassis
On the first serie, the front of the roof doen't include the lip and is just flat. It's married with the chassis with mastic  Angry which will be destroyed at the removal and which you will have to artistically redo  Roll Eyes

Now the steps are
- remove rear bumper
- remove rear lights
- remove inox strips on the side of the roof
- remove internal panel holding the sun screens
- Drill the rivets holding the rear body ( 3 on the door side, 1 or 2 on the sills cover, some on the rear, to the boot)
- Use a heat gun on the steel part ( not the fiberglass ) on the side of the roof
After 3-5 minutes of heating, the glue should be removable and you can insert between the chassis and fiberglass a thin cutter.
Slowly you will undo the roof ( until you reach the front :-( )
The rear of the roof ( arround the boot) is just hold by this sticking white chewing gum ...

To put it back, for the boot surrounding, we now the reference of the correct product  and for the roof, I'm successfully using windscreen glue.
You can buy it from renault, asking for the glue for espace body but then, you will discover that they just package and mutliply by 5 the price of a sikaflex glue that you can buy by yourself
Jacobosterlindh

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:43:04 pm »

That don't sound all to hard. Will make some place for it in the garage then.
On the other bag i have, the roof/body is a bit loose, maybe try starting with that one.
Sikaflex sounds like a good idéa i will search for some!

What's the best solution for putting the windscreen-frame to the roof? On my bag at the time i sit here it's cracks on either side, proberbly because that the body moves so much...?
Should i put some rubber-thing there instead, maybe you have a tip?

/Jacob
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:06:19 am »

Hi Jacob,

On the bagheera-café, I have somewhere the correct sikaflex reference and another member ( Baghelux) can provide you the reference for the sticky white stuff.

I don't think that the body should move, except if the chassis is so much rusted that it's about to leave.

The windscreen glue is also a better option than the original product. This because a windscreen glue should allow a very small bit of movement, to prevent the windscreen from breaking
Jacobosterlindh

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 06:44:36 pm »

Hm, okey. I will check that  with baghelux.
but the hm, how will i describe it? where the body/roof meets the rest of the body around the windscreen, there is one crack on either side. Is it just the age that does that?
Stig

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »

Hi Jacob,

This may be a bit late but for glue I use Biltema "Vindrutetätning" vindshield glue. It is available in black, gray and white and is 45 SEK ( 5 Euro) per bottle. Look for the metall bottle.

Regards,

Stig
Jacobosterlindh

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03:58 am »

Hi Jacob,

This may be a bit late but for glue I use Biltema "Vindrutetätning" vindshield glue. It is available in black, gray and white and is 45 SEK ( 5 Euro) per bottle. Look for the metall bottle.

Regards,

Stig

Sounds perfect, worth a try when mounting the body all togheter again.! Kul med svenskar här! (hilarious with swed's here!)
Stig

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:10:47 pm »

Hej Jacob,

Jodå vi är faktiskt några stycken. Lasse (vet inte vad han kallar sig här) håller på med ett register över svenska Bagheeror. Det finns faktiskt ganska många men det mesta är nog skrot.

Jag har limmat dörrsidor, tak och skarv mellan durk och kaross med Biltemas polyuretan lim "Vindrutetätning" samma sak som Sikaflex men mycket billigare. Går att fylla stora sprickor och härdar till halvhård gummi konsistens.

Hälsningar,

Stig

PS. For non swedes I just explained that I have succesfully used the Biltema glue. Same as Sikaflex etc. but a lot cheaper. DS
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: