| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Headlights too low  (Read 7122 times)
TheJoker

« on: January 17, 2007, 09:06:13 am »

Guys,

When I got the car back, I noticed that the headlights were installed wrongly - in fact the guy who did it also noticed that, but apparently he's taken them out and tried to fix it.

What's happened is that the headlights (both high and low) seem to point about 1 meter in front of the car, rather than the normal "near the horizon" level.

Has anyone had their headlights wrongly installed before? Any tips on where to find the fault..?  Huh

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:00:11 am »

This is odd, but here's a few things to check:

- Is high beam the same, or normal?
- Have the bulbs been installed properly? They are difficult to get right in there.
- Is the adjustment mechanism and motor working?

I think you need to take the headlights out again and carefully inspect them for anything that's wrong. They are a pain to work with, unfortunately, as there's virtually no space around them. I think you need to remove the trim between the headlights to get access to the screws, and possibly also the front bumper.

Good luck with it!!

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:08:49 am »

Thanks Anders,

Yes, both high and low beam are pointing close to the car.
I don't know about the bulbs, but as they're separate and it's both high and low beams that are affected, I'm thinking that something else has been fitted the wrong way.
Adjustment mechanism is working just fine.

I know these things can be so easy to get wrong... Typically these things have an adjuster bolt and one doesn't know if the attachment to the adjustment should go in front or behind,...  Roll Eyes

Ahwell, I'm sure it gets fixed... Smiley

Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:47:54 am »

Does your car have Xenon headlights?
If so then the problem could well be with the potentiometer on the rear axle.

Because they are so much brighter than halogen bulbs all Xenon headlights have to be self levelling so they fit a potentimeter on the rear axle to electrically measure the load and adjust the headlights accordingly. So that the headlights are not re-adjusting themselves constantly due to road undulation the system has built in "damping" in that the axle loading has to be constant for more a period of time (30 seconds I think on the Espace) before they willl self adjust.

The self adjustment is very noticeable when you start a Xenon equipped car at night when parked facing a wall or the garage door because shortly after turning on the lights the beams will rise slightly after the system has sensed the rear axle load.

With your car having been parked up for quite some time whilst the belt tensioner problem was being fixed the potentiometer may be sticking so the headlights no longer self adjust..... just a thought as that would affect both high and low beam.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:42:52 am »

Martin, I didn't know that about the xenon lights. Blimey! They stick electrickery into EVERYTHING these days. But I'm glad to say my car doesn't have the xenon lights... *phew*

The problem seemed to that the adjuster inside the headlight on the left hand side (looking forward) wasn't working correctly. This was fixed with a bit of rubber band - not 100% ideal, but it works just fine now! Smiley  Cool

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: