| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Smokey Espace 2.2Dci The Race 2002  (Read 12084 times)
Sparky

« on: December 29, 2006, 03:53:28 pm »

It's now occurred on several occasions and I think every time a hill is involved.
after only a couple of miles from cold and following a short climb up a hill when the engine is stopped there is still something running and clouds of smoke coming from under the back of the engine bay/exhaust area. this smells of unburnt fuel (Derv). I have only noticed it at night and have been unable to pinpoint it.
Has anyone else come across these symptoms as well ?  My thoughts are that the fuel is spilling onto the hot exhaust externally but where from? Its not the easiest place to look and to get a good look from below is a near impossibility.
So any thoughts on this please pass them on.

Many Thanks Bob
AKA Sparky

Drives:
Renault Grand Espace III 2.2Dci The Race
Renault SL29 Trafic 1.9Dci, Citroen XM 2.1TD Break
BMW's K1200LT, R1100GS & R65
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:08:12 am »

there is still something running and clouds of smoke coming from under the back of the engine

Many (most?) DCI's have a engine-coolant heater fitted, as the efficiency of the engine itself is too high to give away much excess heat for creature-comfort etc.

If its only happening after *short* trips, it might just be the heater still running - or in the process of cooling down ?

The exhaust pipe for the heater is a flexible hose which ends in the middle of the car, just rear of the engine.

Do you ever experience this after longer trips, where the engine reaches normal temperatures (>10-20 miles) ?

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Sparky

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:44:55 am »

Thanks Lennart,

very useful information I will have a look down under and see whats to be seen.

Yes these journeys are >10-20 Miles, longer journeys tend to be >400 Miles+ where  I don't stop at all so it may go unnoticed.

I'm a little concerned about the fuel smell still ! seems to be be unburnt fuel vapourising. I'll have a look in the vaults and see if I can find anything.

Again many thanks

/Bob Aka Sparky

Drives:
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 05:59:01 pm »

It's now occurred on several occasions and I think every time a hill is involved.

I think hills have nothing to do with this.

after only a couple of miles from cold and following a short climb up a hill when the engine is
  stopped there is still something running and clouds of smoke coming from under the back of
  the engine bay/exhaust area. this smells of unburnt fuel (Derv). I have only noticed it at night
  and have been unable to pinpoint it.

Is the smoke white.  This is quite normal.  These vehicles have what we in the commercial trade call a cab night heater.  They are used to provide heat independantly of the engine.  They burn tiny amounts of diesel which either heats up air directly, or coolant to provide the normal heating system with more/ quicker heating.  It is the latter that the Espace uses.  The burner is plumbed into the cooling system and operates when the engine is below 85 degrees and the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees.  So when it is cold and the engine has just been started it should be operational.  It is fitted down in front of the left front wheel, and the exhaust exits slightly left of centre behind the engine.  You can see the convoluted s.s. pipe easier when the undertray is off.

Has anyone else come across these symptoms as well ?  My thoughts are that the fuel is spilling
  onto the hot exhaust externally but where from? Its not the easiest place to look and to get a
  good look from below is a near impossibility.

These very high pressure systems can leak, but if you had a leak in the injection area, the fuel collects in a tray that surrounds it, and runs down a rubber hose which exits on the right at the rear of the engine area.  It would spray backwards in the airstream and cover everything underneath particularly on the right as well as coating the rear of the vehicle.  You would find the main fuel tank wet, and the rubber around the straps all wrinkled, as would be the rear wiper blade!  The right hand rear caliper and brakes also suffer...  Yes we have had vehicles in the workshop like this, which needed repairing.

So the fuel smell is probably just from the burner.  They do give off a bit of a smell which is noticeable if the vehicle is stationary when it is running.

Roy

Sparky

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:46:05 am »

Thanks Roy,

My mind has been put at rest. I'd known of these heaters on the Ford's, Seat's and VW models but didn't think of it on the Espace, it just proves you're never too old to learn.
I have found the relevant area in Lennart's Vault but will have to spend a little more time looking at the details in depth.

Again many thanks

Bob Aka Sparky 

Wishing a Happy and Prosperous New year to all readers of this Matra Forum for 2007

Drives:
MARTIN

2.2 DCI "The Race"

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:27:12 pm »

I think that the reason of these noise and smell is the heating boiler that is on, only when the outside temperature is low and the engine cold.
In this case the odour apears specially when you stop.
The boiler exhaust is the "aluminium" small pipe under the engine.
after only a couple of miles from cold and following a short climb up a hill when the engine is stopped there is still something running and clouds of smoke coming from under the back of the engine bay/exhaust area. this smells of unburnt fuel (Derv). I have only noticed it at night and have been unable to pinpoint it.
Has anyone else come across these symptoms as well ?  My thoughts are that the fuel is spilling onto the hot exhaust externally but where from? Its not the easiest place to look and to get a good look from below is a near impossibility.
So any thoughts on this please pass them on.

Many Thanks Bob
AKA Sparky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: