| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ESPACE OIL PROBLEM  (Read 16009 times)
gt4martin

« on: November 26, 2006, 05:20:14 pm »

hello folks just joined and need some help:

i have just purchased a 2001 espace 2.2 DCI (G9T ENGINE ), on the return home the oil level light illuminated i stoped check the oil and filled, approx 10 miles from home the light was back and the oil was low. Investigations have shown a large ammount of oil flowing in the intercooler pipework. A freind suggested that this was due to turbocharger seal failure, i have just changed the turbo charger and have found the same problem, the rubber breather pipe from the top left of the cylender head area (bulk head side) was blocked and this was replaced when the turbo was changed.
Are there any other breathers Crankcase ect or pressure relieve valves on this engine?
Are there any other faults that can give this condition?
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
CHEERS MARTIN
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 05:28:29 pm by gt4martin » Logged
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »

Unless you can find an external leak I would suggest that you are getting excess crankcase pressure from somewhere.... usually either turbo "blow by" coming from the compressor stage of the turbo or from piston ring wear / failure or a cracked liner.... but if a liner is cracked then you are also likely to be losing coolant and emulsifying the oil.

You don't mention the exhaust... are you getting blue smoke out of the exhaust suggesting that the engine is burning the oil.

Perhaps someone else on the forum knows whether the G9T has an open crankcase breather system or a closed one. In an open breather system cleaning out or changing the breather pipe, as you have done, would usually solve the problem. However, in a Closed Crankcase Ventilation system there is also a filter and a relief valve (some engines with CCV also have a sensor).
If the G9T has CCV then you are certainly looking along the right path for a relief valve.... but where it can be found I don't know. Sorry I can't be of better assistance but as you had not so far received any response I thought at least I'd give what I can.

Any German speaking members on the forum able to determine whether this issue is covered on www.espace-freunde.de?

Martin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:59:37 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:55:59 pm »

Good we have you, Martin!

For gt4martin, I can add the disappointing infor that the turbo charger is the really weak point in that engine, prone to failure in the bearings and seals. I know of a few examples where the engine has runaway to a complete blow up, unfortunately because it starts running on engine oil - and rev-limiter will not be effective.

So inspecting the turbo charger carefully is probably no 1!

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:26:50 pm »

Kind of you to say so Anders....  Embarrassed  ..... but I have taken out (including loads of information from Lennarts's Vault) so I'll give back in.... if and when I can.... isn't that how it's supposed to work?  Smiley

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 08:31:49 am »

Kind of you to say so Anders....  Embarrassed  ..... but I have taken out (including loads of information from Lennarts's Vault) so I'll give back in.... if and when I can.... isn't that how it's supposed to work?  Smiley

Absolutely, you are just right, Martin... I try to do the same http://dinsen.net/espace, but sometimes there's just not enough time to do so, or focus is on other things - and some people just don't seem to agree with us!

Smiley

gt4martin, I hope your problem will be fixed. I really think it's a pity when people get experiences like you: The 2.2 DCI engine is a wonderful machine, and a perfect match to the Espace.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:53:50 pm »

hello folks just joined and need some help:

i have just purchased a 2001 espace 2.2 DCI (G9T ENGINE ), on the return home the oil level light illuminated i stoped check the oil and filled, approx 10 miles from home the light was back and the oil was low. Investigations have shown a large ammount of oil flowing in the intercooler pipework. A freind suggested that this was due to turbocharger seal failure, i have just changed the turbo charger ...

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
CHEERS MARTIN

If anyone changes a turbocharger that has been leaking oil into the inlet system, PLEASE, PLEASE, remember that you MUST clean out the intercooler and inlet system of oil.  Any large amount of oil in the inlet system can be drawn in and the engine may 'run away' using the oil to fuel itself.  You cannot switch this off, since you are not in control of the fuel supply, and the engine will possibly exceed its maximum and blow up.  If it does, the bits that fly off can injure you.  I have seen it happen on truck engines, so please do not ignore this warning.  Thanks.

Roy

gt4martin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:02 pm »

hi gents
Just a quick note to say i have finaly solved my oil problem.
This engine has two inputs for induction air, one side entry and one through the rocker cover via 4 moulded sections, these are isolated from the rocker gear/oil by a gasket in the center of the rocker cover. Unfortunate design, if this gasket bursts then induction air is allowed to pressurise the roker cover forcing oil via the vapour pipe into the induction pipe from the turbo, this in turn is transferes oil around the intercooler and into the cylinders.where it burns hence the clouds of blue smoke.
If any of your guys have the following symptoms then consider this as a possible answer.
OIL IN TURBO PIPEWORK
CLOUDS OF BLUE SMOKE ON MEDIUM TO HIGH REVS ALMOST CLEAR ON LOW REVS
OIL BEING PUSHED FROM THE ROCKER COVER (INTO INDUCTION VAPOUR LINE )
The fix is to remove the rocker cover and replace all gaskets total price from renault £70 and clean out all induction pipework and rocker cover.
Hope this helps
cheers martin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: