| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Flywheels  (Read 16785 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: February 21, 2007, 05:01:18 pm »

I have been told that the "s" flywheel is lighter then the standard 2.2..
Do anybody have any experience as to how much this effects performance?..
Also.. As far as i know flywheels come in both 5 and 7 bolt versions for the 2.2. 7 i rekon being the last. so.. are the "s" flywheels all 7 bolt ?
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:28:23 pm »

The purpose of the lighter flywheel is that you can increase engine rpm quicker (but then you will hear an ever bigger klonk from the engine department) However I have not tried the difference myself.
You do not have to buy a new flywheel as you can have your existing flywheel machined to the size and weight of the "S" if you have access to this kkind of facilities.

Attached is a drawing of the heavy and the lighter flywheel or Schwungscheibe.
(I also have the drawing as an AutoCAD file somewhere)

Hans
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:07 pm »

Hey Hans.. yahh I know the reason for lightening the flywheel....
The reason why I as is that Ruud "forgot".. to send the flywheel along when he sent my engine... well either that or he didnt think it was included in the deal.
anyway.. he has offered to send me a standard flywheel at zero const (only i have to pay the shipping) or he will send me a lightened "s" one for an additional 145 or so euro.
No.. I am planning to have the flywheel balanced along with the crank and clutch.. but was just wondering if it was worth the extra cost.. and if it will even fit a 5 bolt crank

Uhh.. and by the way.. I was planning on FIXING the "klonk" fault at some point soon... :-)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:00:51 pm by krede » Logged
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:33:02 pm »

I think, that if You have standard 2,2 camshaft and 1 double carb., it doesn't make sense to spend money for lightened flywheel. You also will risk that the crankshaft will be faster than have to be and the piston will have rendez-vous with the valve...

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 04:12:38 pm »

I think, that if You have standard 2,2 camshaft and 1 double carb., it doesn't make sense to spend money for lightened flywheel. You also will risk that the crankshaft will be faster than have to be and the piston will have rendez-vous with the valve...

I think it's good to hear your opinion on this Michael, as you know both. Out of interest, have you kept the lightened flywheel on your new S?

I would think the risk of valve snapping would be small as the S-cam has rather high lift, but small overlap. The original prep-142's did not get the lightened flywheel, it was something that was not introduced until the 480 S.

If I was only after performance or building a racer, I'd convert to the S-flywheel. For a road car, however, I think the heavy one is a good choise. I wouldn't like drivng in the city with a light flywheel and a lumpy cam! Cheesy

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:52:10 pm »

Of course, I used the original lightened S flywheel. I'm doing all works strictly as it was original.
But... on monday, I went to the painter workshop for painted front spoiler and rear bumper, and one stupid worker painted the rubber strip on the rear bumper to the red colour! I was sooooo angry that all workers stopped their work and was only looking how this happend  Wink In next 5 minutes the owner of the workshop promised that till friday (tommorow) it will be removed. Everything MUST be like original Smiley Tuning is for VW drivers...  Cool

GP
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »

Brilliant...Just what I needed a drawing of a lightened flywheel dimensions from Matra_Hans.
What a useful Forum.

Here is an interesting hyperlink (for me anyway!) about Flywheel lightening:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/FLYWHEEL.htm

Use the main part of the link to read about all sorts of good stuff regarding engine tuning. Ford Pinto is the most relevant I guess to the Murena 2.2 engine.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk

GP
lewisman

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:09:14 am »

Of course, I used the original lightened S flywheel. I'm doing all works strictly as it was original.
But... on monday, I went to the painter workshop for painted front spoiler and rear bumper, and one stupid worker painted the rubber strip on the rear bumper to the red colour! I was sooooo angry that all workers stopped their work and was only looking how this happend  Wink In next 5 minutes the owner of the workshop promised that till friday (tommorow) it will be removed. Everything MUST be like original Smiley Tuning is for VW drivers...  Cool

I like your new wheels.....

What make and size are are they?
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:27:23 am »

The other point to note about flywheels is that their purpose is to smooth out the firing pulses of the engine.   If you take weight off, then you are transferring more impulse loading to the gearbox, which may suffer as a result, or at least rattle more.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »

You are absolutely right Pete... I have considered having my flywheel lightened , but I'm not convinced that the 2.2 engine is suited for it, being as slow reving as it is.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:13:13 pm by krede » Logged
GP
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 04:10:56 pm »

I do agree too. But it would be rude not to try it and see what happens?

Keep you posted.

GP
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

It all depends what you use the car for.  With any tuning modifications,the extra performance is always obtained at the cost of driveability or longevity.  Competition cars tend to be rebuilt relatively frequently, but if you're building a road car, then don't overdo it.
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »

Maybe that "S" flywheel is lightened also because of that the engine characteristics are placed a little higher. I mean that 2,2 starts to push arround 3000 rpm, but at 2,2 S it is arround 4000 rpm. Maybe?  Huh

GP
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:13 am »

Oh dear, I just dug out the flywheel that I had fitted on my car last year and was a bit surprised when I weighed it and found it to be only 7kg! I had decided to take it off and put it back on my spare engine as it was part of a balanced assembly and put my old flywheel back on. Darren the previous owner had told me it had been lightened (by a firm in Reading), but I didn't realize it was that light though! Anyway it was fine when on my engine and also explains the reasons my acceleration times were slower at Prescott Hillclimb this year over the measured 64 foot distance. It will be going back on then after balancing as a single unit.

Does anyone know the weight of an original 2.2 flywheel out of interest?

GP

PS: I checked with Politecnic if their 6.5kg. lightened flywheel for the 505 Turbo was suitable for the 2.2 Murena engine and it isn't:-

Les volants moteur de 505 Turbo ne sont pas les même que pour Murena 2.2.

En effet, les embrayages sont de 235 mm sur 505 et de 215 mm sur Murena 2.2.

Restant à votre entière disposition, nous vous prions d'agréer, Monsieur, l'expression de nos sincères salutations.

Politecnic sarl

Cyril Gracia

----- Original Message -----

To: Politechnic Matra

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:55 PM

Subject: Peugeot 505 Turbo Volant moteur neuf 7 trous - série spéciale allégé 6,5 kg

Cher Monsieur,

Pouvez-vous confirmer que votre Peugeot 505Turbo  volant moteur neuf  7 trous - série spéciale allégé 6,5 kg allégé est adapté ou non pour l'installation du 2.2 Matra Murena moteur?

Merci et salutations,

Graham Pryme (UK)

Isn't Google Translator fantastic!  Grin

michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:39 am »

Does anyone know the weight of an original 2.2 flywheel out of interest?

GP

It's written on the picture up here in this topic - 10kg Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: