| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Ignition :(  (Read 36473 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 11:56:56 pm »

Just to put you off, Waldo, today while waiting in a junction, a school class stared at my car. One of the boys was even about to get lost from the others because he was admiring it. Now, of course I fired her off in the corner, making lots of noise - just for them.

Now, would you do that in your diesel?

No, petrol for my Murena.

And mark my words: You are going to have loads of problems with your common rail diesel engine. We know these thingies from the Espace's. Great engines, lots of problems.

You can't convince me! Cheesy

- Anders
(PS: Hope to see your car this summer at a Matra meeting, hows the project going?)

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 07:47:56 am »

Hi Anders...

Well, no the engine tune won't be as lovely, but I'm pretty sure it will be more than fast enough to impress...

I'm not using the same type of engine as the Espace (DCI), and I know these HDI engines well enough to say that problems are few... very reliable and easy to tune infact!

/Valdemar
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 10:04:47 am »

I'm not using the same type of engine as the Espace (DCI), and I know these HDI engines well enough to say that problems are few... very reliable and easy to tune infact!

AFAIK the DCI and HDI engines are both common rail engines built with Bosch components?

Reputation is a strange thing: When Renault put the PRV V6 in their cars, it got a reputation for being very reliable. When Peugeot used the exact same engine in their cars, it was a horrible machine blowing head gaskets. And I'm not talking about the 24 valve head of that engine, it was the same engine.

And to compare reliability: My engine is 25 years old, it has received one complete rebuild and a new cylinder head (overheating, leaking water pump) in its life, and that's it.

I'm not trying to say your project is not worth the effort, I am sure you will have a very fast and driveable car when you are done, and I'm sure this is not the last diesel conversion project we will see on a Murena (I haven't heard about any before, though?), you are just down a completely different road than I am.

My Murena is a classic, and while I'm using it from day to day, I have to acknowledge it's an old car. She's 25 this year! When she was built, I was only in my early puberty! Sometimes, the lumpy cam and difficult choke makes me want to take my wife's car, but when the boys are staring and friends show their envy, I know that my Murena is just the way it should be. It will never be a Porsche Boxter.

I know a family with a strange garage: One London taxi, a 1966 Jaguar, a TR4 and a couple of old english motorbikes. They don't have a single modern car for daily commuting! Don't tell me a 1966 Jaguar is a reliable or fuel efficient car. But this is just the way they like it, and I must admit - I envy them.

- Anders Cool
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:06:41 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 05:54:09 pm »

If mileage is important get a Pole 3L of a Smart
I disagree - mileage is an excellent tell-tale of any impeeding problems that needs sorting. That is my major reason for calculating the mileage.

I totallty agree, however, that the Murena is all about fun, - the simplest bend can be felt, and the feedback just puts a smile on your face. Also at or under the speedlimit.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: