| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AUX input to amp  (Read 24757 times)
smouty

« on: March 12, 2007, 05:49:43 pm »

Hi,
In my '98 3.0 RXE I have seen a cassette addon that fits in the centre storage unit and there is an AUX input on the remote. Could this be used for an MP3 input? If so where would be the best place to 'patch' in to it?

Thanks

Anthony
TheJoker

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:21:03 pm »

I'm quite interested in an AUX input too, but sadly I don't have any real knowledge... but apparently there's some electrickery under the Drivers seat on the Right hand drive ones...

Does that help?

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Wezyr

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:30:46 pm »

Hi!
There is radio box under the front passenger seat. In my '97 3.0  I found one input (mono but I can hear music from all speakers) and probably two amplituner outputs. You have remove front right seat,  rear slat, rear seats mountig points and take up the lining. When I was trying to do it, I couldn't remove rear seats bolts so I broke  the lining Smiley. When you find radio box, you have to connect one chinch cable.
Have fun ;]
Will Falconer

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:48 am »

There is an easy no wires solution for this. You can use an FM transmitter or modulator.  This plugs into the headphone socket of the cassette deck and transmits on an FM frequency  that you tune your radio to, all in stereo.

I have  one which I use for my MP3 player and it works very well. These units used to be banned in the UK but are now legal here so presumably that goes for the rest of the EU too.

They are about 10€ on ebay.
smouty

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:59 am »

Thanks for the replies so far.
I was thinking that as there was an official cassette player available as an option (i don't have this fitted) that there would be a connector available for this to plug into for power and audio. I was hoping to make use of this but maybe it's not so easy.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 10:57:49 pm »

I was hoping to make use of this but maybe it's not so easy.

Probably not - but I can follow up on Will's suggestion by mentioning that Maplins here in the UK have such a iPod-2-FM thing on sale this week at 20£.  (Called a GrooveTraveller :-/ )

Now, - what we *really* need is such an mp3player-2-FM box which transmits the song titles as RDS info, so it could be displayed on the dash :-)

/Lennart

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:00:53 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Will Falconer

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:58 am »

I've got a feeling that the cassette player was fitted instead of the cd changer, so they may have used the same input on the amp. But I agree that I'd expect to find some wiring in the centre box.

I went through this problem when I found my OE CD changer was faulty, unrepairable and 750€ to replace, - only available from Renault.

Eventually having failed to find a suitable universal socket I bought a Sony changer with an FM modulator that plugged into the antenna lead.
zinx

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 09:37:02 pm »

Hi,
In my '98 3.0 RXE I have seen a cassette addon that fits in the centre storage unit and there is an AUX input on the remote. Could this be used for an MP3 input? If so where would be the best place to 'patch' in to it?

Thanks

Anthony

I have a 98 RXE and this is the tape player I had fitted in the dash.And the other pic is of the cables that connected to it.The round connector is the same as the one for my mutichanger in the boot.The power lead only has +12v when Aux is selected on the stereo.There is another connector that is in the dash(last pic the round metal one)but this was not connected to the tape player.I think it is speaker inputs for fitting an aftermarket head unit.

Thought this may be of help Huh Huh

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:15:29 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

1998 Grand Espace RXE 2.2dt G8T
roa

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 01:08:40 am »

Hi all.

Most phase 3 Espaces are fitted with a radio/amplifier(amplituner) located under the passenger seat(non UK) This is normally a Pioneer unit, and has connectors for both tapeplayer(like the one pictured above) and a CD-changer(located in the booth).
The amplituner comes in 3 or 4 versions, and some of theese feature an aux input which, sadly, is designed for handsfree phone systems only. (mono + narrow frequency band)

The cd and tape inputs require that the units connected to them, have the PBUS system. This is for track info and such. The amplituner will  mute any audio from the CD/tape-unit if it does not recongnize it as a PBUS unit.

This leaves 5 choices for connecting some AUX-equipment like MP3's in your Espace:
1.-buy a FM transmitter.
2. buy a "cdplayer-imitator" (dont know the english word for this adaptor...) Connects to the CD-input and has two RCA-input for your IPOD or such. theese are expensive and hard to find(?). Also you'll loose the use of your cd-changer.
3.-Modify your TAPE-player: Rip out the noisy mechanics, and solder some suitable wires/plugs to where the mag-head is connected. May require some resistors to adapt the signal-level.
The amplituner will not care, as  the PBUS-system is still in place.
4.-Modify the amplituner. Requires complete schematics, and some electronics knowledge.

I've performed alternative 4 in my car. Works just fine.
See detailed information here(in norwegian only- will  translate if needed): http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2214

For norwegian-reading Renault-owners - Check out  www.renaultbiler.no  Lots of useful info.
the forum pages now also contain an english section. Few posts yet, but give it a try!

Roger

TheJoker

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:33:28 pm »

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that information. Could you give me a bit more information on choice 4), please. I can read Norwegian fairly well, but when I clicked on the links in the PDF I didn't get anywhere. Huh

Anyway, just a bit more information would be appreciated. I don't know if it's too complicated for me, but I'd really like to know.  Cool

Thanks!

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:50:01 am »

I've performed alternative 4 in my car. Works just fine.

I like your modification of the AUX imput to accept stereo!

The link to it in one of the PDF's seems to be incorrect, though, so here's the correct one (for all us Norwegian reading people Wink ):

http://www.hint.no/~roa/Espace%20mp3/Bygg%20om%20AUX%20til%20stereo%20(SCU2556).pdf

- Anders Cool

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roa

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 02:29:51 pm »

Thanks for your comments, and for the link-help, Anders.

Fixed the faulty link, so the original link now works.

Hope you find the information you need, theJoker. If not, just ask.

In my car I've done both the modifications as described in choise 4.
Hooked up a dvd/mp3 player to the TAPE input, and a handsfreeset/line out for my SonyEricsson walkman/mobilephone ,to the aux input.

TheJoker

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 03:15:26 pm »

Roger,

Yes, I did read it, thank you! It doesn't seem that difficult at all. Do you have any more pictures than there's in the PDF? I'm especially interested in how you've soldered the cables onto the circuit board, and also how you've connected the rest of your equipment (MP3 player and phone).

I'm very pleased that this can be done, maybe it's time for me to acquire a real hefty MP3 player that can store all my music!?  Cool Grin

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 01:03:03 am »

so here's the correct one (for all us Norwegian reading people Wink ):

Consider it "vaulted" :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
roa

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 02:06:18 am »

The soldering is quite straight forward. Locate the right track on the printboard, then follow it until you find a pad big enough for soldering onto. This could be at some component connection ,  but  the best is to find a  test point/pad. I believe you can see this in the pics in my pdf. Dont have any other pictures tough.
Be careful not to short circuit or cut anything else than described. Recommend a good quality solderingstation and a steady hand...

Found an similar and even simpler way of mod'ing the unit(see attachment). Have not tested this but it seems ok. The attached image is from a forumpost at www.passion-espace-club.com (french)

Roger
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: