| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dashboard lights  (Read 14609 times)
davidewanprice
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:42 pm »

Driving home tonight and i noticed that some of my dash lights have failed? That’s the lights behind the speedo, fuel, volt meter, oil, heater and clock.

Other lights still seem to work? For example lights under fog light/hazard/rear heater button (on side of dash), i'm thinking that maybe its fuse related but i thought i'd ask you guys before i start playing. sound familiar?

Also what colours ahould the fuses be? I think all mine are blue, is this correct?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:53:35 pm by davidewanprice » Logged
davidewanprice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:29:01 pm »

Sorted, turned out to be just another loose wire! Let there be light!

Would still like to know if ive got the right fuses though?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:38:52 am »

Glad you fixed it - (at least for a while).
The fuses are all 16A except for sidelights which is 8A, check this page:
     http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/vault/fuse01.jpg

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:51:56 pm »

Thanks, the other thing about dash lights, what exact is the button marked (!) on the left of the dash, near the hazard lights, and what does it do. I think its got something to do with brakes but i've no idea what. When you press it a light comes on buts not an on/off button?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:45:17 pm »

It is, again, an old Simca throwback that is supposed to tell you if your brake pads are still OK.
I doubt it works...
davidewanprice
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:14:13 pm »

I know im doing something stupid, that is to question, but i can understand a light to warn, but a button?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:40:53 pm »

Once again, you're trying to make sense of 70s French design.
Stop it, just accept that there is a button to press to see if your brake pads are OK.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:08:09 am »

i can understand a light to warn, but a button?

The idea is/was that you by pressing the button could verify that the brake warning light (fluid level and pad wear) was actually fitted with a working bulb.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
davidewanprice
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:36:29 am »

Excellent! Those wonderful french! What an amazing idea? Still it kept me entertained for a while. Maybe i should actually look at some point to see it it is conected?

davidewanprice
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:45:15 pm »

Ok after a period of 3 weeks without use i decided to go and start the old girl and check that everythings ok. On trying to start my car the battery was low so have put it on to charge. I also noticed that some of my lights
were (and still arnt) not working, side lights for staters, rear lights for seconds, and many of the dash lights.... only this time no loose lead to explain my problems. Main beem still works and the indicators both on dash and sides of car all work. All buttons to the left of the dash and hand brake light/fog light/rear screen lights etc all work. Maybe its a fuse? will check that later....
davidewanprice
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:21:15 pm »

OK, Later i checked the fuse board, nothing wrong here but just for good measure took each one out and placed them back in again....... and guess what, let there be light. ALL my lights are working!  Smiley
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:04:39 pm »

OK, Later i checked the fuse board, nothing wrong here but just for good measure took each one out and placed them back in again....... and guess what, let there be light. ALL my lights are working!  Smiley

Hooray!

I think it's common for this kind of fuses to give problems like these... Wink

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 07:09:54 pm »

It is, again, an old Simca throwback that is supposed to tell you if your brake pads are still OK.
I doubt it works...

No, I'm sorry, that is wrong.

The button is there to test the warning light system, nothing more.  That warning light has two functions - one to tell you if the brake fluid in the reservoir has dropped below a certain level; and two, it comes on when the pads have worn to a certain point.  However, the pad function only works provided the wiring is intact.  If a wire breaks or becomes detached from the pad, you get no warning.  And the Murena only has the left front and right rear connected possibly anyway - so if your right front or left rear pads wear first, you can still get a 'metal to metal' condition without warning!  It is simply an earth wire, and if connected, it will bring the warning light on when the contact touches the disc.

The low fluid warning is more valuable as this can point to a leak before you know about it.  So use of the button will at least tell you the bulb is working.

Roy.

brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 01:09:14 pm »

Hooray!

I think it's common for this kind of fuses to give problems like these... Wink
Once in approximately three months, I had to "brush" my fuses to ensure they make good contact. Also, the connectors to the fuse board are of extremely poor quality and need to be cleaned as well. Usually I know it's time to repeat this excercise, when my car radio is starting to fail (resetting). But I think I have done a good job lately, since it's been at least a year ago since I've done that Smiley

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: