| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena design  (Read 7908 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: April 15, 2007, 12:43:38 pm »

Is the murenas design in anyway "inspired" by the..... eel??
The reason Im asking is, that since the weather in Denmark is excellent at the moment (and the metric displacement of my belly has taken on staggering proportions) I decided to put on the running shoes and do a lap around the block.
As I returned, I spottet my Murena through the blurr that had decended upon my sight, and thought...Hmmm If indeed the car has been designed with a murena eel in mind... the wheels HAS to be the teeth!!

Have anyone noticed just how much those alloys resemble a mouth full of tiny sharp fish teeth?
Or shoud I go lay down untill the fog has cleared ?  Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:45:25 pm by krede » Logged
davidewanprice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:17:31 pm »

You should cut down on your running!
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »

Hmmm If indeed the car has been designed with a murena eel in mind...

"Murene" in French is in fact the eel, and I think I have read somewhere that the "ready to attack" look was one of the reasons for the name chosen.

Weather Antoine Volanis ever claimed any inspiration from the eel I don't know, but I would expect him to claim nothing of the sorts - designers rarely admit to their inspirations.

On the other hand, this is from a company that named their cars using the "Jungle Book", - good thing they didn't choose Ka then :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:44:10 pm »

I have on a few occasions wondered where the name came from as I have until now found it difficult to see the similarity between a murene and the Murena - actually, I think the plump shape of the eel looks more like an Espace...

But I think now I get it... the eel analogy is good, I think, it drives like and eel swims, and if the murene is an eel with sharp teeth (is it?) the name starts to make sense - Murena's do have "bite"!

Lennart, Mowgli would have been worse, wouldn't it? Or Baloo!!?

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:26:40 pm »

Lennart, Mowgli would have been worse, wouldn't it? Or Baloo!!?

Matra Mowgli ... sounds almost like their missile MatraMagic :-)

Balooo .. lol  -  now, YOU were the one to mention the Espace first ! :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 08:40:09 pm »

I think the name fits the car pretty good.
The Morey's snout does resemble the front end of the car (well atleast to me it does)

And as diving stories go.. the Morey's are quite dorsile.. at times even frindley as long as you take care not to provoke it... pushed to far however it can cause serious injury..

I think this fits the car pretty well.. ESPECIALLY in the wet, where you quickly can find yourself is trouble if you dont respect the cars limits.. but thats just my opinion... and experience   Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:42:51 pm by krede » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: