| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Murena and Tuning...  (Read 28212 times)
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« on: April 25, 2007, 10:43:24 pm »

In England they say: Never change the winning team. I think that Murena is beautifull car as it is original. The design, orig.spoilers, colour combinations, etc. Everything is in harmony and look very nice and typically for Matra. I like it that! Why some assholes tries to change it to Ferrari or they own creature? Look at this:
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=3whd34igmlz

Bleeeee - interior is terrible, front and rear part of the car is with no charm and very ugly. And of course it doesn't look like Ferrari  Angry Cut his hands!!!

And this:
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=scfozbzbmqw

It isn't as dramatic as the first creature, but look how the rear spoiler looks bad in red colour. All rear part look so fat and disharmoned with red rear spoiler and those stupid corners of rear bumper (behind the wheels).

Does really these guys thinks that their cars are looking good, or are they as stupid that they didn't see that it is totaly ugly?
I can't understand it - why somebody damage this beautifull car, isn't the original look the best one?HuhHuhHuh

lewisman

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:55:59 am »

Its all a matter of taste. First one is without doubt a good example of bad taste  Shocked  Red and black interior re-trim with a brown dashboard Cry

Second one is not as bad - some wothwhile ideas lke smoothing out some of the panel joins - but it just doesnt work.  The rear bumper does need extending if bigger, wider wheels are fitted but the shape needs to be right, not just stack on bits.

I would never say that original designs cannot be improved on - my facelift Alfa Sportwagon is (in my opinion) a worthwhile improvement on the original version so I believe that the murena can be improved.  It has to be subtle though and any Ferrari clone attempts are just silly Roll Eyes.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:35:36 am »

I agree with Michael... why ruin somehting that's good already. But people are free to do as they like and 10-15 years ago the Murena was NOT a classic yet really. And it was an EASY victim for modifications with it's glass fibre body and long lasting chassis.

I also think the second one isn't that bad. I have always felt that the front spoiler is not really deep enough. But it's pretty like it is, and that's the way it has been designed. I am full of respect for that, also because the airflow under the car is used for engine breathing and cooling.

- Anders Cool

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:00:26 am »

German chassis tuning is well known for turning out some truly hideous freaks of cars.
The typical example would be some sort of opel or BMW... lowered with  15x10 inch rims on it and a huge engine... so far.... nice!!... BUT to finish it all off... they do the upholstery in some completely way off purple leather, and decicrate the otherwise perfect paint job by airbrushing small animals and landscapes onto it....
... WHY?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:39:15 am »

... WHY?

And worst of all: It seems to gain popularity in Denmark too! Sad

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:00:16 am »

And worst of all: It seems to gain popularity in Denmark too! Sad
[/quote]

Most of the horrors driving around in Dk are imported in that state from "the father land" :-)
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:23:10 pm »

To be honest I do not think that the Murena S spoiler looks good. It is original yes, but it looks as a cheep aftermarket spoiler that was put on a Kadet or a Golf back in the eighties.

Hans
davidewanprice
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:07:42 pm »

But Hans it was an 80's car, spoilers just looked that way, its like modern alloys, they just lok out of place on a car like ours. but i really cant see why people put these kits on murenas, its not like the one dressed up in "drag" as a ferrari looks any more convincing than a standard Murena.
lewisman

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:54:06 pm »

It is just evolution and because of the murena's long lasting construction methods and plastic panels it is relatively easy to make modifications.  Obviously like nature, some attempts at change are a disaster (especially when some fool tries to make a murena look anything like a Ferrari).

Personally I like the change of shape that the S rear spoiler makes even though I agree that it is not a quality item.  I also like the S side skirts.  Neither items were part of the original "murena" design.

Things that I dont like are the black rubber bits to cover panel gaps and some of the obvious panel joins eg front spoiler.  These are just cost cutting measures by the manufacturer in the same way that the original Mini has external but-welds joining panels together.  I also think the front bumper/spoiler is a bit weedy but as yet I have still to see an alternative that doesn't look worse.

The dirty, saggy orange velour trim in my car was bogging (Scottish expression) and any alternative would be an improvement.  Obviously hideous red and black leather would not be a good way forward....

As for modern wheels, some look awful but nobody will be able to convince me that 17" Azus 5 spoke wheels do not improve the look of a murena....shame they cost so much Sad

I hope this doesn't sound like I am slagging off the murena.  Far from it.  It is just that unless you have a really good original car - always a place for them - I would rather have something that was better if I could afford it and that could include changing the interior, front and rear spoilers and even eventually the drivetrain (an Alfa V6 would be the perfect choice).
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 07:02:43 pm »

It is just evolution and because of the murena's long lasting construction methods and plastic panels it is relatively easy to make modifications.  Obviously like nature, some attempts at change are a disaster (especially when some fool tries to make a murena look anything like a Ferrari).

Personally I like the change of shape that the S rear spoiler makes even though I agree that it is not a quality item.  I also like the S side skirts.  Neither items were part of the original "murena" design.

Things that I dont like are the black rubber bits to cover panel gaps and some of the obvious panel joins eg front spoiler.  These are just cost cutting measures by the manufacturer in the same way that the original Mini has external but-welds joining panels together.  I also think the front bumper/spoiler is a bit weedy but as yet I have still to see an alternative that doesn't look worse.

The dirty, saggy orange velour trim in my car was bogging (Scottish expression) and any alternative would be an improvement.  Obviously hideous red and black leather would not be a good way forward....

As for modern wheels, some look awful but nobody will be able to convince me that 17" Azus 5 spoke wheels do not improve the look of a murena....shame they cost so much Sad

I hope this doesn't sound like I am slagging off the murena.  Far from it.  It is just that unless you have a really good original car - always a place for them - I would rather have something that was better if I could afford it and that could include changing the interior, front and rear spoilers and even eventually the drivetrain (an Alfa V6 would be the perfect choice).

Are the Azuz 5 spoks the ones Lennart uses ? if so I think they suit the car very nicely... but they do slightly resemble the ones used on a certan car of the mark starting with "F" that we dont speak of!  Grin

Me, I choose the 70'ies look.. these are the ones Im sticking with.. It will take quite a bit of work to make them fit, but it will be worth it Smiley

Enginewise, My bet for the best murena engine would be the pug T16 from the 405.
Light 16 valve unit with plenty of power and torque... AND! just as importantly a good gearbox.. if in doubt try the one in Lennarts car.. Its awsome compared to the one in the 2.2.
And more so, its a, somewhat, straight forward job of fitting one. (in a 1.6 that is)

Having never driven a v6 I can only speculate what the weight would be like... It would surely be a blast if one could manage to fit one of those with hot cams and seperate throttlebodies!!
The Noice alone would be worth it!
But In the end Im not sure I could ever rest knowing that one of the exaust manifolds are THAT close to the fueltank.....
But then again.... I have never been known for any particular feat of courage  Grin

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:06:33 pm by krede » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 07:40:17 pm »

But In the end Im not sure I could ever rest knowing that one of the exaust manifolds are THAT close to the fueltank.....
But then again.... I have never been known for any particular feat of courage  Grin

Don't worry - the Alfa V6 mods have the fuel tank moved to the front of the car.
Not that that's much better in case of a crash, but at least it isn't melting!

- Anders

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 07:49:28 pm »

Don't worry - the Alfa V6 mods have the fuel tank moved to the front of the car.
Not that that's much better in case of a crash, but at least it isn't melting!

- Anders

Hmmmm... looks like a fueltank to me.... Huh
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 08:03:17 pm »

I stand corrected!

Used to own:
LarsB

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 08:44:12 pm »

And I still wish that was my engine room. Grin

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 10:38:35 pm »

And I still wish that was my engine room. Grin
I don't think you are alone here :-)

krede: my alloys are 15" Azev-A  5-spoke:

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/Gallery1/Med/ls_mur_ds48.html

wether they are the same as "Azus 5 spoke", I don't know. I gave "Azus" a quick google with no result. lewisman: are you sure about the name/spelling?

My engine is a Peugeot 205gti 1.9 8valve - XU9JA, not the 16 valve. I chose this for its better torque at lower revs, which admittedly is where it spends most of its time.

(unless I'm on a track or some great, abandonned country road :-) )

A V6 might be a wet dream (and that picture certainly is mouth watering), but frankly, the thought of putting all the power from my Peug 406 Coupe into the tiny Matra is almost scary.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: