| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 21st century galvanising  (Read 7093 times)
Will Falconer

« on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:06 pm »

I attended an architects' seminar on galvanising today.

One interesting item that came up was that when the Murena was built, our industry - and those of you in Scandinavia will quite rightly point your fingers at UK industry - was destroying trees and polluting the atmosphere with sulphur. At that time galvanising was expected to last about 20 years because it  too was attacked by sulphur.

But a recent study has shown that since the change of century  our new clean industry - which in the UK means we don't make anything anymore - has revised estimates to the extent that galvanising may now last 60-100 years.

So my '99 Espace could still be around in 2099, but I'm not convinced thare'll be any petrol to run it on...
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:20:33 am »

So my '99 Espace could still be around in 2099, but I'm not convinced thare'll be any petrol to run it on...

Thats very good news, - but as you say, fuel will probably be taxed skyhigh, and gas-guzlers doing less than 60mpg or obtain speeds above 25mph will probably be banned.

The only allowed cars by then will be remotely operated by the state police computer, which connects to the MI5 grid, to fight terrorists engaging manual override.

I recall TopGear some time ago (as Tiff Needell was part of the team) made a fun futuristic nightmare clip, where they met up in some derilickt industial building, having sourced a whole gallon of this "petrol" - so they could fire up some of those exotic cars from the past - until the police arrived and arrested them all - "as they were evidently insane" :-)

But at least we can still LOOK at our cars, which will look as good as ever.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: