| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: I'm leaking! Water expansion tank in the engine bay for Murena 2.2  (Read 94385 times)
davidewanprice
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »

My other worry is is capacity, most seem to be 750 to 1000ml but the original is more like 2000ml +, surely this should be a concern ?
GP
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »

Following some discussions with Anders on a suitable replacement aluminium expansion tank, I visited Car Builder Solutions in the UK to compare their off the shelf tanks. I compared these directly with a Murena Tank and size and outlets can be compared. See pictures below to decide for yourselves on suitability?

Anyway I then visited Brise Fabrication and after discussion with them I have commissioned a one-off like for like prototype tank for myself. Although as Anders rightly points out the top pipe fitting goes to the thermostat housing which is a 6mm. / 1/4" hose, so I will request this size to be welded in. I will also have a 30mm. dia. plate 10mm. thick welded in across the minimum water level mark to give the option of fitting in a float level switch which CBS can supply.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/float-switch-flsw-5342-p.asp

Brise will only do a one off unit in the first instance for £175:00, but will be happy to discuss volume discounts if any of the Forum Members would be interested in one depending on the outcome?

http://www.brise.co.uk/tanks.html

Will keep you posted.

GP
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:37:17 pm by GP » Logged
davidewanprice
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »

Interesting!

Price is high though, BUT I understand this is custom.. Might be interested, are there any other people interested?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 06:28:29 am »

Thanks for posting, Graham. I think I forgot to answer your last e-mail Sad

I think this is the best possible solution. Our tanks are a little special. I haven't been able to find a tank off a modern car that would fit, so there's no doubt that a custom one is the best. And hopefully, the price can be somewhat reduced if we are able to collect enough orders for Brise to do a small batch of them. As a one-off item, I don't think the price is too bad, however. And this is something you don't want to compromise quality on. One thing is the water sprayed over the engine, that's not really a problem, but the risk of damaging the engine is high.

My tank is still intact, but with the problems I've seen others having with cracking tanks, I'm not going to ignore it! So I'm definitely in on a piece - even if the price will remain.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
JV

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

For a Murena 1.6 an Alfasud/Sprint and Alfa 33 expansion tank will do.
Original number: 60504309, 533765

http://www.matramania.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2029&highlight=expansie

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:21 pm »

Following some discussions with Anders on a suitable replacement aluminium expansion tank, I visited Car Builder Solutions in the UK to compare their off the shelf tanks.
------

Will keep you posted.

GP

I have found a number of promising tanks at jegs.com

http://www.jegs.com/c/Cooling-AC-Heating_Catch-Cans-Expansion-Tanks/10127/10002/-1

These are the ones I might go for myself. They have threaded holes bottom and top, plus the overflow in the neck. That way I can mount the fittings that suit the Murena.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Expansion-Tank/1244442/10002/-1

the description reads:
"EGS Expansion Tank is constructed from formed .090" wall aluminum and welded for strength and durability. Allows the cooling system to be filled from the expansion tank to minimize air in applications where the radiator is mounted low in the chassis. Includes 1/8" NPT x 5/16" hose overflow fitting, 1/4" NPT inlet bung and 1/2" NPT outlet bung. 1-1/2 quart capacity. Measures 7" H x 6.5" W x 3-3/4" D. Accepts standard radiator pressure caps. Available with a stamped or billet aluminum neck and in clear anodize or polished finish. Made in USA."

The billet version, annodized, is $106, or £67. The poliushed version is slightly more.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:31:01 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:45 am »

Jon, don't forget there will be added 6% (?) import tax + 25% VAT on import from the USA - unless you're really lucky and they let it pass.

And tell me, do you think it will look good in the engine room? It looks like something from a central heating system Wink

/Anders

Used to own:
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

Jon, don't forget there will be added 6% (?) import tax + 25% VAT on import from the USA - unless you're really lucky and they let it pass.

And tell me, do you think it will look good in the engine room? It looks like something from a central heating system Wink

/Anders

I am visiting my daughter in Albuquerque, Mew Mexico, for Christmas, so I would bring them back in the luggage.  Grin

About the look, I agree with you. They kind of look like an aluminium cooking pot with a few modifications.  Angry

I am still debating welding my own, versus buying one. They are quite expensive, IMO. I would also prefer it in stainless steel. We shall see. Wink

GP
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »

I just picked up the MK 1 ALuminium Expansion Tank Prototype which is looking promising I must say. They have also fitted an internal baffle plate to strenghten the assembly.

The liquid float level switch from CBS is suitable to fit as an optional extra without further modifications, as the compression gland is designed to compress either side of thin walled plate.

Will report back after further fitting and fettling .

NB: The company will consider reducing the price further if a larger quantity is ordered.  A firm committment will be required though from you before I proceed any further and request a price. 

GP
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:33:36 pm by GP » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 10:43:43 am »

That looks very nice indeed, Graham, and even though I'm always looking to save money, this one really looks like it definitely is worth what you've paid. The fact that it's a perfect replica makes it even more interesting.

Is this the switch you are referring to?
I'm not sure I understand how you want to fit it though and why you are referring to compressing it?

I'm definitely interested and will make a firm commitment, but I can wait for others to show interest. Anyone?
We might consider sharing this on other Murena forums as well as in the Matra Magazine.

/Anders
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:46:29 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
davidewanprice
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 10:52:51 am »

That looks nice, despite moving house and being very poor I think I'll be having one of these, any news on a definate price?
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

I just picked up the MK 1 ALuminium Expansion Tank Prototype which is looking promising I must say. They have also fitted an internal baffle plate to strenghten the assembly.
---

GP
Hi Graham.

Very nice indeed. I am definitely interested in a group buy. How many, and what discounted price are we talking about?

Did you just cut out the mounting plate from a spare Murena to try the fit? That is what it looks like in one of the photos.  Huh

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »

Hi Graham.
I am in for for a tank.
(I will take a few more working days abroad in order to be able to afford it)

@Aders.
I think this is the  level switch
You just drill a 22 mm hole tighten the nut until the silicone expands and you are up and running with a switch for a low leve alarm for the cooling water.

Hans
GP
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

Some feedback.... a picture paints a thousand words.

NB: The top outlet to the radiator was 8mm. not 6mm. as requested so I fitted a short length of hose with a nylon reducer.

Regarding discounted price I will not know until I have an indication of numbers interested. No cash required to express an interest though.

Jon: Yes I used the mounting bracket cut out of a donor car I have to give to the fabricator to ensure the tank fitted correctly.

G.P.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:19:56 pm by GP » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 09:27:49 am »

It looks fantastic, Graham. And I understand the level switch fitting now Smiley
Too bad about the 8mm outlet, but obviously only a minor issue - and since that appears to be the only flaw, it indicates they've done a really good job (the QA engineer thinks Wink )

Used to own:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: