| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to look for in a Bagheera  (Read 17050 times)
Nick Gillott

« on: October 15, 2004, 09:23:32 pm »

(well, I wanted to be the first to post in the Bagheera forum but equally this probably applies to other models)

I'm currently looking to purchase a Bagheera but I'm not an expert in the marque.

When inspecting one, what should I look for?

Here is my current list (mainly supplied by Andy Owler, with thanks):
- Verticalness of the rear wheels
- If its RHD, front antiroll bar mounting area and drivers seat runners support area
- Chassis longitudinals, especially the front.
- Front outriggers and lower cross member supporting the radiator
- The tops of the door frames.
- Inside the wheel arch at the front of the rear wheels.
- Inside the wheel arch at the rear of the front wheels.
- Under the front bonnet, reach under the windscreen wiper mechanism. Look for rot especially if the sponge is still there.

Putting it through a simple car wash tests watertightness.
Baggyjoe

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:51:23 pm »

I think all Bagheeras are "projects"

Andy is the Oracle on Bagheeras, so the advice you have is good.  I might add that the finish in the dash area of the RHD conversions was less than professional, I would steer clear of those unless you are in love with one.

Also, for LHD and RHD cars,with the metal they were made from, it would be best to find one that has had a bare metal rebuild, and has been zinc dipped.  That way you will get a few extra years before the rust bugs bite again.

Joe

78 Black & Green & Rust Bagheera X
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 11:10:12 am »

Joe ”Baggyjoe” wrote:” …. it would be best to find one that has had a bare metal rebuild, and has been zinc dipped.”

As I have Bagheera restoration project, (which I have not started working at yet) I will like to know if you or anyone else have any information of Bagheeras, which has been hot dipped galvanized? And I mean real hand on information and not just rumours!

The reason I am asking is that I have heard lots of rumours of galvanized Bagheeras, but I have never seen any, or even talked to people who have seen a galvanized Bagheera.
I have talked to people working at galvanizing workshops, who have told me that there are many problems in galvanizing old cars.
·The chassis might twist,
·One will have to drill rather big holes into any closed sections of the chassis in order to make sure that all surplus liquid zinc is drained out. If you forget to drill holes in some sections with closed compartment this compartment might explode due to the expansion of the air during the hot dip. If the holes are made too small or drilled in the wrong place you will get parts of the chassis filled up with zinc.
·Further, and in my opinion most important, in the areas where two or more plates are welded together you might have rust between the plates, but you will most likely not have any penetration of zinc, and in those areas you might have some acid etc. left over from the cleaning of the chassis which will the situation even worth.

Regards Hans

Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:29:44 pm »

All this is not too difficult to repair... compared to the support of the door hinges. And of course, it's always the driver (continental driver) side that is giving up the first.

And is impossible to source although I recently missed one on ebay
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 02:31:12 pm »

And of course I've a gavanised Bagheera in my garage
I'll explain here how to proceed

Nick Gillott

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 12:28:55 am »

Progress on the car front - seems to have no history. Not galvanised, but painted. Not bare metal, but extensive rebuild. 27,000 miles but broken speedo cable (MOT done yesterday) may suggest higher mileage. No history so I can't tell.

Good colour, not been touched for a long time. Should be good condition, but it is going to fall apart on me immediately?

Worried that I'm looking at a really serious money pit. Possibly not and taking an expert with me to view it.

Been restored car, done by very good amateur. Sounds like the real deal but a while ago.

Sounds like condition 2 and upwards. But some concerns.

Value?
Nick Gillott

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 11:11:56 pm »

Here is a smug looking Bagheera owner.

Good restored one. Some troubles but I'm hopeful for some expert help shortly :-)

Pictures available: www.gillott.co.uk/matra shows some poor pictures but some decent ones will follow after the meet. Tax disc permitting.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 06:35:36 am »

Here is a smug looking Bagheera owner.

Good restored one. Some troubles but I'm hopeful for some expert help shortly :-)

Pictures available: www.gillott.co.uk/matra shows some poor pictures but some decent ones will follow after the meet. Tax disc permitting.

Congratulations! Looks like a decent car. Fine and very detailed check list you have made there, worth copying  Cheesy

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Nick Gillott

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 10:34:12 pm »

That was why I made a blank template for anyone to help themselves.
Nick Gillott

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 10:36:32 pm »

By the way, the mileage I quoted was wrong - there is 14,000 kilometres on the clock and the engine and interior tally to that.

Not bad for a 26 year old car!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: