| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How are the rear windows fitted to the car?  (Read 9200 times)
davidewanprice
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:16:58 pm »

My driver side rear window seems slightly loose and when i pull away i think the window is vibrating a little, whats the best way to fix it? do i need to remove the outer pillar cover?
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:29:57 am »

Well, I think that the best way will be to demount those black plastic strips (very carefully) and than You can refit the window. Originally they are glued on the chassis, so You have to unglue it completelly at first, and than to glue it back again.

davidewanprice
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:46:29 pm »

lucky for me one of the strips (the bottom one) is loose, however the window is only 1/3 loose, so I think my aim is to cimb in to the back of the car and cut the window off the old glue, pulling from the outside is too risky. Which should mean I can just take off the petrol cap cover (vented thing) and slide the window back/out. Thats the plan.... Once out try to cut off all the old glue, clean up the glass and the re-attach the window. I went to my local autoglass centre who gave me a strip of black stretchy putty like stuff which should seal the window, though it never actually sets.... my other choice is to use glue it but which glue... glue and paint, and for that matter glue with plastic isn’t always a marriage made in heaven.... whats your advice? Ideally I really don’t want to have to take off the pillar as the rivets are painted and its sure to make a mess!
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:14:20 pm »

You can use the same glue, which is used for front windshield, I think... But I have never been doing this, so that's only my idea.

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:05:08 pm »

You can use the same glue, which is used for front windshield, I think... But I have never been doing this, so that's only my idea.

I think you are right and this is also what the manual instructs. Adhesive strips won't hold a window, you need the silicone glue to give strength. Remember that the window is adding stiffness to the chassis (though for the side windows, not by far as much as the wind screen).

- Anders

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
klumzer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:28 pm »

I am thinking of removing the rear side windows so your experience would be appreciated.
Is it difficult? What should I pay attention to?
Morten Blom

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:31 am »

Hi David Smiley
I removed my rear windows, by putting a guitar-string between the chassis and the window and then just pull back and forth..
The string will be so hot that it will melt the old glue   Cheesy

Best regards Morten
klumzer

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »

Good idea.   Smiley
Once I saw a similar method removing a windscreen but it was not easy if I remember well. Maybe they did not use guitar-string...   Cheesy

Which point is the best to start the job?
Morten Blom

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:07 am »

It is the easiest way to cut out windows  Smiley
The guitasstring is cheap, else the steel from springs can do the job, i think that
0.6 - 0.7 is tje best thickness for the string Wink

I started beside the fuelcap an finished the bottom first:D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: