| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Murena V8...........  (Read 24543 times)
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 09:31:33 pm »

I am all with you here, as it is a very compact V6, which possibly could even fit without chassis modifications (which IMO are a no-go).

Uhmm - that could also be an option.
I just checked ebay.de - there are several Golf VR6 for sale. They don't look that expensive.
The VR6 has around 170 HP, which is below the 20% level we have in Denmark
(this is for a murena S)

So no chassis modifications - but changes still required to:
- motor mountings
- gearshift, I would like to have the VW gearbox and shift build in also
- drive axles
- exhaust system

/Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 06:54:08 am »

And don't forget:
sorting out electrics, clutch, fuel, cooling.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 12:27:01 pm »

170.4 hp is the the cut for a Murena S in Denmark... any more than that and you have to produce document that the chassis can handle it.. witch is next to impossible.
I'm not saying that you cant get it past inspection anyway.. and i I'm not saying that you might not even get it written in the cars papers.. but thats how the rules are as of fall last year..
I know this because it ended the possibility of putting the 16valve 2.0 gsi engine in the Kadett c's for some of the guys at the danish opel forum (a friend of mine included)
It doesnt matter that there are several fully legal C' coupes on the road in DK with that engine, and that you can  buy a car in Germany that has been tüv approved and everything. As long as the manufacturer (opel/matra) don't vouch for the engine swap nothing can be done.
mimu
German cars is like love but French like romance

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:07 am »

A bit old topic but I have just these plans with my Bagheera.
Replacing Simca engine to a VR6. Have done some measurements and with tank located somewhere else (front) so could VR6 engine fit in the back without much changes in the existing chassis.
Problems I have to solve is weight. A VR6 (ABV/190hp) motor with gear box is at about 180 kg (anyone know what a Simca 1.4l motor with gear box weighs?), with this weight back there the chassis must be strengthened, and new mounts placed. There is also issue with the cars total middle weight pint. So if weight point doesn't change so much I will start with modifications this fall.

One of the main reason why I want a VR6 engine is engines deliver so raw sound with open sports air filter and other cams.
It is mentioned in the thread that it is a bit of dreaming but without dreams reality becomes boring Smiley

Cheers!
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:58 am »

The 1.6 l engine and a 5 speed gear box  weigths 150 kg, I do not think that the 1442 + 4 speed is very different.
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,1477.0.html
With the RV-engine's 190 HP plus open air filter and a different cam, I think that you will tearing the enginmounts out of the bagheera's chassis.
Hans
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:07:27 am by Matra_Hans » Logged
northmurena

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 11:26:07 am »

...not only the engine mounts ;-)
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 08:03:59 pm »

In order for your Bagheera  to with stand the power of a modified VR6 engine maybe you will need to build your Bagheera like the one on the atached pictures, i.e. with a tube frame.
mimu
German cars is like love but French like romance

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 12:47:31 am »

Yeah! By "reinforced chassis" I was of course meaning to build a sub-frame so that engine is mounted essentially in the new framework which is around the entire car chassis.
Two problems though:
1. Whole body must be removed (perhaps inevitable anyway)
2. If there is a "cage" inside the coupe the car must be registered as "rebuilt vehicle" and then loses vintage status (older than 30 years in Sweden). Then the car  will be 2015 model year and all plans of having a cool car disappear, well u know the rest of the story.

Hans, the project above is of course the way to go (and bay be the only way), but with job, kids and two other cars it can (and will) take years before I hear "the raw sound" from my red charmy and rear kitty.

Well well, thanks for advice and info about engine weight.
When the job begins I will start a new topic here.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: