| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Respray Colour  (Read 9320 times)
lewisman

« on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:51 am »

The paintwork on my murena is pretty poor and is on its third colour - gold, white and now a dark green Citroen metallic.  I had favoured the ubiquitous red but having watched the documentary on Motors cahnnel - thanks Bart_Maztra - I am considering the blue Matra racing team colour.

Des anyone know what this colour was called (I might not believe French Racing Blue...) and what the paint codes would be?  Is there a Matra blue that was similar?

I will have a trawl through the espace murena website gallery to see what I can find.

Any opinions, good or bad would be welcomed.

Cheers.

David
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:58:02 pm »

Don't know if you're still interested, but I've recently purchased a Murena which was previously resprayed blue by the previous owner.  According to the receipts which came with the car, from the paint supplier, it is a British Standard colour, BS381C French Blue.  It looks to me very much like the Matra racing colour and I think it goes well with the brown trim.
Peter
lewisman

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:16:45 pm »

Cheers for that Peter.  I have just swapped some old Recaros for a big tin of two pack so it looks as if I will be joining the red murena brigade!

David
Titus

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »

I too have been looking into a respray. When I bought the Murena I thought £2000 would be a fair price but since then I have had to rethink.
I've had a quote from a company who only would do it 'properly'. Ferrari, TVR speciallist. I'm sure it would be a great job, but for this car it is too much. £5,000.!
I want all the trim and doors off, headlights, shut lines etc.
The quote included taking everything off and putting it back on, so if I was to do this myself the cost for the paint job itself would have been:
Repairing some minor damage to the front spoiler and lower rear wing corner, 6 hours @ £35.25 per hour =  £211.50
Prepare and respray including all the black scuttles below the windscreen and glass rear hatch 80.5 hours = £2837.63
For this he required the car for 6 weeks to make sure it was as dry as possible to prevent blistering.
Then all the paint and product £940.00. Water based with 2 coats of lacquer. I'm not sure if 2 pack is still legal in the UK. Can anybody advise?
So, total without the taking off and putting back on again and excluding the GRP repairs, £3777.63
I know this chap would make it mint, but it's still too high. I have had a quote for £1500 blow over but this is not what I'm looking for. £3000 is my tops for a proper job. Any advice out there?

Titus.

1.6 Murena
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:42 pm »

Two pack is still legal in the uk, indeed cellulose is still obtainable, in spite of what you may have heard.  Sounds a lot of money, but if you want a Ferrari-standard job, then those are the sort of preparation times needed.  The hourly rate sounds quite reasonable.
Titus

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:13:30 am »

I agree with you, Pete. The hourly rate is reasonable for a professional garage. However, these cars, as enthusiastic as we are, need to fit a budget. I'm not looking for a Ferrari substitute, Matra stands alone as a great mark for me. Just looking for a respray that can't be faulted.
By the way, good to meet you at the MEC UK meeting last week.

1.6 Murena
lewisman

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:21:07 am »

Mine will be a DIY job. Roll Eyes

Fortunately I have sprayed a few cars in my time, including a Rancho many moons ago, and I have a top quality compressor and gun.  My only concern is using two-pack which takes a bit too long too dry without heat and that is one thing that I don't have (there are also some health & safety issues but I can deal with them).  Cellulose is a lot easier for DIY use and I was considering going down that route but it does have a tendency to "sink" into fibreglass and the offer of enough two pack to spray the whole car was too good to turn down.

The great advantage of the murena is that almost all of the panels will be stripped off the car for painting and with a solid colour there should not be any problem with the spray angles creating funny "shades".

Fibreglass bodywork is notoriously difficult to prep hence the high labour costs.  Nowadays you can pay a small fortune for a paint job so the murena would beno exception.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56:20 pm »

I am planning on respraying my car myself (at some point).. using a HVLP spray station and some to component polyester "boat" paint.
that stuff is made specific for Fiberglass, and is supposedly easy to spray for an amateur..... like me Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: