| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many Murenas in UK  (Read 8648 times)
Tricky Dicky

« on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:13 pm »

Does anyone know out of interest how many Murena's are left in the UK. Just out of curiosity as well as for knowledgeable reasons when asked by people how many Marena's are there we can answer X amount left in the country.
Tricky Dicky
Jorgen Kristensen

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:22 pm »

Have you tried asking Roy Gillard (roy@matraclub.org.uk), who obviously would know or at least have an idea about the amount of Matra driving around UK.

Roy is the Murena technical advisor for the Matra Enthusiasts Club UK. The site (and the club) is very active and the site is well known for a very informative faq:

http://www.matraclub.org.uk/faqs.html.

Regards Jorgen

Matra Murena 2,2s ('83)
Peugeot 307sw 2,0 ('05)
Peugeot 107 1,0 ('06)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:13:15 pm »

Does anyone know out of interest how many Murena's are left in the UK. Just out of curiosity as well as for knowledgeable reasons when asked by people how many Marena's are there we can answer X amount left in the country.

This is a difficult one to answer accurately Richard, since no-one really knows the actual amount that have been imported in the first place.  Many were incorrectly registered with DVLA so it is no use asking them - I have mentioned this in another topic answer, but a search on DVLA will only provide details as accurate as the info. on their database, and as far as Matra is concerned that is hopeless!  Think about it - a Matra could be registered under Chrysler, Simca, Talbot or a combination of any of those and Matra as in Matra-Simca or Talbot-Matra.  One Murena I bought was registered as a Talbot 4 door saloon and another as a Talbot '2 axle rigid body' so you can see, they would never show up under either a Matra or Murena search.  There are probably many like this.

You might think a better search might be under the chassis number but Matra have changed their numbering system a few times and again I'm afraid those records are not as accurate as you would expect, and as we are now finding under the computerised M.o.T.  I have had to correct a number of cars already which are recorded at DVLA with incorrect V.I.N.

I have records on over 200 Murena and it's possible that as many as 250 to 300 have been imported.  However, some have since been damaged and scrapped, some re-exported and many are lying unused as the owners have never got around to doing the repairs required to put them through an M.o.T. or just to make them usable again.  Not all owners joined the MEC UK, or if they joined they never provided us with their car details, and I know of people with Murena who are not members even today, but I don't know if their cars are taxed and on the road or not.  So I cannot totally rely on my knowledge or our club records either.  Consequently, the only figure I can give at this moment is that we know of only about 35 - 40 definitely on the road.  Everytime I attend a meeting or see one on the road it gets logged.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:15:45 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Tricky Dicky

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:51 am »

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable answer very much appreciated, now I can reply with an air of knowledge when people ask me at local shows "how many are left mate" or "you don't see many of them anymore how many are there still on the road"
Richard
Dokkedal

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 01:31:12 pm »

At this day 26 Murena are knowed in GB with there VIN and 136 with there reg plates but without the VIN.
Gib

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 02:49:29 pm »

How did you get that number ?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 10:32:04 am »

How did you get that number ?

(Updated end of May)
It's quite easy James if you know the registrations of the Murena you want to check.  You can go onto the DVLA website and check any car and whether it is taxed or M.o.T'd and if you check my website, on the index page you will find a figure for the number of Djet/Jet, M530, Bagheera, and Murena on the road at a particular date.  Currently, at the end of May 2023, it is 30 Murena on the road, but it is often changing as owners have them SORN over winter and then put them back on the road for summer, or there may be other reasons why they have them off the road such as for repairs.  But you have to know all the registrations and check each one individually, because if you try to do a general search under 'Matra' or 'Murena' you will never get any meaningful information!

Also with the Murena now getting into the 40 year bracket, some are being changed to VHI (Historic) class and will no longer need an M.o.T. and may be shown as 'taxed' even though actually it is off the road for a short time, say a month or two having repairs, or during winter if the DVLA are not notified as SORN.  Also it appears DVLA don't record those 'over 40 year old cars' correctly, and some that have since been sold abroad can still appear as if they in the U.K. and taxed!  I know of several Matra like that.  Also if a search says 'Not found' it may be the car has been put on a personalised registration, so unless you know it, it can be missed.

The DVLA computer software was never set up properly (IMHO) and cannot really cope with anything other than the main manufacturers and their vehicles.  The operators only have to input a code for any given car, the code given to them by the manufacturer, and that code number then inputs all the relevant car data.  So the operator doesn't fill in things like Make or Model, configuration etc. they simply type in a code and it all gets filled in automatically.  But as Matra was not a main manufacturer and didn't supply DVLA with any codes for their cars, DVLA have to input the information manually.  The first problem then is how accurate was the information that was supplied to them?  Many times not very accurate!  So for instance one Murena is recorded as a Chrysler!  Yet Chrysler had sold their interest in Rootes and Simca long before the Matra Murena was made, so that is recorded under the wrong manufacturer for a start.  Others have been registered as Talbot-Matra, some as Talbot Matra (N.B. no hyphen) some as Talbotmatra (!), some as just Talbot, whilst one has been recorded as Tolbot, another recorded as a Matka and another as a Malra (all incorrect spellings!) and so on.  I have found Matra listed under 36 different possible manufacturers 'names' as each minor difference is 'seen' by the computer as different!

Even your own Murena is recorded incorrectly as it has the name Murena and engine size as the Manufacturer!!  That line should be the Manufacturers name, Matra in this case, not the model and certainly not the engine capacity!  In fact many times the engine capacity is wrong anyway with two Murena being recorded as having 22cc engines!!  Some that came from Germany have 2128cc as the capacity but that is the German fiscal rating not the actual capacity which is still 2155cc.

When the operator has to fill in the manufacturers name manually, then the computer software prohibits them from filling in the model name (don't ask me why, but that is how it has been set up) so when they put Matra as the manufacturer, they cannot then put Murena as the model, so my log books show Matra as the manufacturer, which is correct, but there is nowhere on the log book that shows what model it is. (if you know, then the engine capacity of 2155cc would tell you it is probably a Murena although two have 3 litre V6 engines!)

So you are never going to get accurate information from DVLA for rare cars or manufacturers that on not on the list 'known to them' which supply codes for the vehicles, you'll only get accurate info. on mainstream stuff.  Other clubs such as Alpine, and even Standard have trouble with DVLA.  I have been through this so many times over the years and even taken it up with DVLA but they are never going to change.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 04:45:47 pm by roy4matra » Logged

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 12:12:31 pm »

At this day 26 Murena are knowed in GB with there VIN and 136 with there reg plates but without the VIN.

You cannot rely even on the VIN, as I know one Murena that has the VIN as VF853C432 and nothing else!  So actually all it has is the type code and not the actual serial number of the car.  Another had a Bagheera type VIN code and I owned a Murena 2.2 that had two different VIN codes on the logbook!

Another Murena was registered as a Simca 530!  When it comes to rare or unusual cars you simply cannot rely on DVLA information at all.

Roy

Gib

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 10:49:19 am »

Hence the reason for asking where the numbers came from as the official number as per the DVLA is way of beam from reality.

As mentioned i did all the application parts on line or free hand using the options i available yet its still not right ? ! ?

It wholly possible for some one to be using a road legal Matra that the club doesn't know about and has slightly spurious details in the DVLA system.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: