| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rear Brake pipe  (Read 5302 times)
Tricky Dicky

« on: July 24, 2007, 05:44:41 pm »

I had an advisory about my brake pipes and want to rectify this soonest where does the pipe go to when it enters the chassis at the rear, and is it a fiddly job?
Help and advice needed.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:02:16 pm »

I had an advisory about my brake pipes and want to rectify this soonest where does the pipe go to when it enters the chassis at the rear, and is it a fiddly job?

Are you talking about the LH rear metal brake pipe Richard?  I assume you are.  This goes under the fuel tank across to the RH side to the rear pressure limiting valve.  The short RH rear metal pipe also goes to this valve.  To replace the LH pipe is difficult to do properly since you need to lift the fuel tank to get the old one out and the new one in.  There are three (IIRC) clips which the pipe sits in.  I have replaced them and it is much easier with the fuel tank out, but that is a major job!  If you are going to do it with the tank in, make sure you have almost no fuel in it (to make it lighter) and check your tank straps before starting.  Many straps are so corroded that they will probably break when you undo them.  So you need to plan for repairing or replacing them too.

For those thinking they can cut the old ones to get them out and then route the new one differently, that is one option, but if you use a new routing, make sure the pipework is secured at intervals like the original.  Why?  Because it is an M.o.T. failure if brake piping is not secured.

If you want to buy a set of ready made brake pipes, Automec have all the details from me, and you should be able to just order a set for a Matra Murena.  (Tip: their catalogue prices suggest that pipes for a car over 2 litre are higher - so if you have to give a figure say it is a 1.6 Murena!  The pipework is exactly the same - the only difference is the pressure limiting valve is different, but you are not changing that).

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: