| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trailing arms  (Read 22064 times)
FOB

83 Murena 2.2

« on: July 25, 2007, 04:42:36 pm »

Hi everybody, could somebody tell me the exact inside diameter of the trailing arms,
where the silentblocks fits in, or the outside diameter of the silentblock ?

Finn  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:27:16 pm by FOB » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:58 pm »

Hi everybody, could somebody tell me the exact inside diameter of the trailing arms,

Finn  Smiley

Tomorrow Finn, when I've had chance to measure up my spare original Matra t/arms.

Roy

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:57:12 pm »

Finn  Smiley

The outer diameter of the bushes are 33mm Finn.  They should be an interference fit in the arms.  The bores on my original new t/arms are 32.8mm although there is some paint there for protection so they could be fractionally larger.  I'm never comfortable with metric figures at tiny amounts having been trained years ago when we still worked in imperial!  So I still think in thou'.  However, 0.2mm (10 thou) interference sounds about right.

Roy

FOB

83 Murena 2.2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:24:43 pm »

Hi Roy, thanks a lot for the information ! What should I do without this forum and
somone like you.

Concerning Inch/Metric, I have it the other way round  Grin

Thanks !

Finn
Oskar

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »

does anyone know the exact dimensions for the bushes?    inner,outer etc?

and is there  metallcase around the rubber or is it free?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:40:31 pm »

does anyone know the exact dimensions for the bushes?    inner,outer etc?

and is there  metallcase around the rubber or is it free?

Since I stated an interference fit, there is obviously a metal case - if the outside was rubber you couldn't have a 10 thou interference measurement. :-)

The bushes are fairly normal metalastic type bushes with metal case and metal tube in the centre and bonded rubber in between.  As stated the outside diameter of the bushes is 32.8 mm  The longer bushes have a flange at one end.  The shorter bush outer casing is 52 mm long and the centre tube is 60 mm long.  The longer bush outer casing is 65 mm from flange to opposite end and the centre tube is 75 mm long.  The hole in the tubes is designed to take the 12 mm bolts that bolt through them.

Roy

Oskar

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:33 pm »

just meassured and on my arm the inner tube is 52mm long and the outer 61mm,
or do you mean the inner bush is 75mm long total and the outer is 65mm total (inner metallic tube)?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:46:58 am »

Not sure, but remember the trailing arms for 1.6 and 2.2 are different... Though the bushes are the same I believe.

If you like I can measure both the 1.6 and 2.2 arms and bushes for you?

or do you mean the inner bush is 75mm long total and the outer is 65mm total (inner metallic tube)?

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:47 am »

By the way... how is your HDI swap proceeding Waldo ?Smiley
Oskar

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:50 pm »

yes i do have the 1.6.
I would be very happy if you could meassure the bushes  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »

You are confusing things by using the terms inner and outer.  These could mean the position on the car OR the bush.

What I stated was correct - I have some new bushes right in front of me to take the measurements.  The tube in the centre of each bush protrudes from each side, so the tube is longer than the bush.  My measurement were approx. and taken with a ruler so when I said the short bush is 52/60 mm and the longer one 65/75 mm long these are nominal figures, and if you have used a vernier your figures may be more accurate.

Roy

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

Regarding trailing arms. Does anyone have a drawing of the 2,2 trailing arms, showing all dimensions? Unfortunately I don't have accessto an old set.
My friend Jan and I have been discussing the possibility of making a jig to hold stainless steel bushings with the right measurements and then welding stainless tubing between them, thus making completely stainless trailing arms.
Any takers out there if we succeed?  Wink

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:45:19 pm »

Mine are almost brand new.. but I applaud the idea!.
I was actually considering something similar, since about half the people in my class are certified black smiths Smiley
Oskar

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 01:23:44 pm »

ive come in contact with someone who might be able to produce them at lower cost then the original ones.

ok, these drawings are exact.

If more people are interested I can probably supply complete set, 2 of each 4 total, for around 60-70euros. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:22:29 pm by Oskar » Logged

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 02:07:56 pm »

Jon Waywadt wrote:
Does anyone have a drawing of the 2,2 trailing arms, showing all dimensions? Unfortunately I don't have accessto an old set.

A few years back we had some set of 2.2 trailing arms made in Denmark. A machine shop known to one of our members laser cut pates for ten set of trailing arms. As a part of the original trailing is needed to produce the new set, we handed over our old set and had a new set made. I got the first set myself.
The steel plate for our reconstructed trailing arms had a better quality than the original and as we used a thicker plate the new trailing arms only had one layer of steel plate all way around. The original trailing arms had two layers on the sides.
The original trailing arms rust mainly from inside and between the two layers of plate.
Therefore I closed my trailing arms completely, drilled a hole on the upper side poured in some rust protecting oil, and then closed the hole with a plastic plug. Not stainless but I am sure that my trailing arms “will last forever”

Maybe the drawings or files for controlling the laser cutting machine will still be available at the machine shop.

If you are reproducing some trailing arms please have in mind that stainless steel does not have the same strength as normal steel.

Regards Hans
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: