| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Power steering Help  (Read 14587 times)
TonyG

« on: August 13, 2007, 11:30:58 pm »

Hi my 1992 RXE Espace is loosing power steering fluid alot and unable to see where the leak is on the rack, any help is much needed.

1992 Espace RXE
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:05 am »

If it's loosing a lot you should be able to see the red fluid if you get under the car. Last time my 1987 Espace lost fluid it was as simple as a hose clamp that had given up on the low pressure connection to the pump.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TonyG

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:51 am »

Hi.  Cant at the moment see where the leak is coming from,pipe connections look clean and dry. Will steam clean around the area and  i will see if i can spot the leak.

1992 Espace RXE
TonyG

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:26:14 pm »

Hi. Have clean the area where the leak is. Still no joy, it seems to be leaking from the housing where the steering rod connects to, but not too sure. I need some help as the car smokes when driving around !!!!!!

1992 Espace RXE
TonyG

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:34:34 pm »

Have located the leak on the rack, it is leaking from the housing below the steering column connection, it is an ally housing with a centre bolt or screw fixing.  HELP!!!!! what can i do?Huh?

1992 Espace RXE
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »

Have located the leak on the rack, it is leaking from the housing below the steering column connection, it is an ally housing with a centre bolt or screw fixing.  HELP!!!!! what can i do?Huh?

If that's what I think it is, then it has two servo connections, one from the high pressure side and the other return to the steering fluid container. It's the servo valve itself. It's a little ingenious device that converts the oil pressure to movement of the steering rack under complete control of the driver. It could be an o-ring in the bottom of the connections, but it could also be the valve itself.

The valve can be replaced, but not easily as access to it is not particularly easy. I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend here in Denmark who has and may be able to give you some tricks and instructions.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TonyG

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:48:38 pm »

Hi Anders. I am very interested in finding out more, could your friend email with some ideas on how to?

1992 Espace RXE
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 02:26:01 pm »

First Tony, is the leak actually from the housing and not a seal where the shaft enters the housing?  You need to check this very carefully.  I know it can be difficult because of the location - this why a mechanics job is often awkward.  Sometimes the only option is to strip down for access.  You need to clean the area with something which will wash the oil away, and evaporate itself, leaving the area clean and dry.  If it is difficult to get at, then some carburettor or brake cleaner is probably best.  The spray from the can should be powerful enough to wash the oil away and they will evaporate afterwards.  If the leak really is from the housing, it suggests that either the housing is cracked, or porous.  It is probably more likely that it has cracked, and the crack will start from where a pipe or union is screwed in.  This has probably been over-tightened causing the crack.

To repair a crack (or porosity) in the casing, you need some 'liquid metal'.  This is usually two tubes of chemical compounds that when mixed, will set hard and become just like metal.  Loctite and Araldite, are two common ones and there are others around.  You want the ones that form a metal, not the more normal glues that these companies sell.  As long as the metal surface is totally clean and oil or grease free they work well.  You may need to drain the oil from the system to stop the oil seeping out and spoiling the surface you need to repair.  I have used them to seal porous casings, rebuild damaged surfaces, seal cracks etc. and if done properly, they work well.

Roy

TonyG

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »

I have found the leak, its on the shaft entering the housing. When engine is running it is now possible to see fluid leaking from shaft housing. I think it would be better to obtain another rack and replace the faulty one. I have noticed while phoning around for quotes for fitting a new rack most of the garages local to me will not touch the job, I know it can be a long job. I would do the  job myself but i dont have the tools to do it.

1992 Espace RXE
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 02:51:54 am »

I have found the leak, its on the shaft entering the housing. When engine is running it is now possible to see fluid leaking from shaft housing. I think it would be better to obtain another rack and replace the faulty one. I have noticed while phoning around for quotes for fitting a new rack most of the garages local to me will not touch the job, I know it can be a long job. I would do the  job myself but i dont have the tools to do it.

The job is a days work with the right equipment and knowledge.  You really need a vehicle lift, and two special tools, which means it is not a home job.  Also if your rack has a 50mm short valve housing and you replace it with a rack that has the 60mm long valve housing, you have to replace one of the hose/pipes too.  The rack has to come out from the left wheel housing not the right.  If you have an auto gearbox the job is even worse, as there is another half a days work.  Sorry to give you bad news, but this is probably why most garages don't want to touch it.

When you say the leak is from the shaft, I presume you mean the seal where the shaft enters the housing is leaking?  So it really needs a new seal?  Where do you live Tony?

Roy

TonyG

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:54:28 pm »

Hi. Its a manual gearbox,leak is from the seal on the shaft. I live in Stoke on Trent.
Cheers Tony

1992 Espace RXE
TonyG

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 08:57:37 pm »

HI all. I got a few quotes yesterday for removing and fitting the steering rack Shocked Shocked. Price range from £1040 and all the way down to £250. You can guess who will be getting the work. Thats has solved one problem on to the next one.  Smiley Cool

1992 Espace RXE
TonyG

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 09:42:41 pm »

Hi all. Got the steering rack fitted today with new track-rod ends, new gaiters, a new high pressure pipe and new pump belt all for the great price of £175 and done in less than 5 hours. Cool Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

1992 Espace RXE
espaceman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 11:02:05 am »

Hi all.
I'm just curious about the replacement rack that has been used. I assume that the rack used is secondhand. When I fit Renault s/h racks I always check the plunger play when the rack is on the bench. It can't be adjusted while in place. I mention this because poorly adjusted plungers can contribute to unwanted steeting box play and knocking when engine is stopped. I even go to the trouble of removing the plunger and applying grease to the spring and nylon insert. It can also contribute to the oil leak on the longside housing on the rack.
Also worth mentioning is that a lot of the Renault racks have a removable cone nut on the end of the rack on passenger side (RHD). The cone nut houses the hydraulic seal is responsible for keeping in the PAS oil. This can be obtained from most hydraulic hose agents for a small price. A lot less than the cost and fitting of a rack. A "C" spanner or stilsen can be used to open the nut.

Just though I'd mention that for future ref if someone is doing a rack job. I like finding replacement parts normally not found over the Renault (expensive) counter.

This reminds me that it looks like no one replaces internal engine parts as my dated post on part sourcing is still at 0 :-(

Regards,
Espaceman
TonyG

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 11:08:07 pm »

Hi all. The mechanic at the garage checked the rack over before he fitted it,being an ex renault mechanic he likes to do things by the book. Well happy with his work Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Smiley

1992 Espace RXE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: