| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Vacuum advance on Dellortos  (Read 10394 times)
zac

« on: August 15, 2007, 03:41:34 pm »

My Murena is now running!

Few little things to do for the MOT and a gearchange kit so we can reverse it out of the garage  Grin

The car has twin Dellorto DHLA 40s which I think originally came from a Jensen-Healey. The connection on the carbs where the pipe to the vacuum advance would normally go looks like it was sealed when manufactured, do other people running twin dellortos use the vacuum advance and if so how is it plumbed in?

I should have taken the camera down with me...
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:41 pm »

Hooray, Zac! Good to hear progress.

Krede is running Dellortos, I think we can expect him to post photos later Smiley

Yes, you should always run with the vacuum advance. You can get home without it Wink, but there's no reason not to implement it on a road car.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:39:43 pm »

The vacuum hose is the one in the middle.... don't know what's more to say...
I can take some better pics tomorrow if you'd like ?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:28 pm »

Zac,
on my DHLA45s, there is a blanking screw on each barrel. On one barrel, the screw has been replaced with a little screw-in pipe (6mm I think). The vacuum pipe is pushed onto this.

Hope this helps.

Antony
zac

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:20 am »

I'll have to have another look, the mechanic said that were there would normally be the blanking plate then the barrel was actually solid, hence asking if there was anywhere else we could take vacuum from.

macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:52 pm »

On this diagram, it is the only 2 screws not annotated at the bottom of the picture.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:28:22 pm »

Just replaced my vacuum hose today...as you can see the one on the picture is pretty well "cooked"..
I noticed that after a drive it got soft..almost to the point of melting.. so It had to go...
I believe I can feel a difference... but It might just be wishful thinking Smiley

Now lets see how long this one lasts... It sure gets hot in the enginebay... I found that out first hand last Sunday when I had to remove the carbs/manifold from the engine RIGHT after a 100km drive... av....AV AV AV!!!  Lips Sealed

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:32:44 pm »

Just replaced my vacuum hose today...as you can see the one on the picture is pretty well "cooked"..
I noticed that after a drive it got soft..almost to the point of melting.. so It had to go...
I believe I can feel a difference... but It might just be wishful thinking Smiley

It doesn't have to be! Check the fuel consumption. The vacuum advance is an "economy device" which advances the ignition when there's little load on the engine (coasting, idling, part throtltle driving), so if the vacuum hose has been leaking and the advance mechanism not working, you should be able to see a difference.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: