| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace Quadra TXE (1989) Propshaft Coupling Problem ( UK Owner )  (Read 5648 times)
mogwai

« on: August 16, 2007, 03:16:09 am »

Hello evrybody  Smiley

I am looking for a prop shaft coupling(JURID ?) (DOUGHNUT ?) for my quadra.
It seems to have disintergrated. 
Was given a price of £180 including p&p...

A friend of mine had a landrover with a similar problem, £40 for part....

Any help in finding a part would be greatly appreciated.  As £180 seems a bit expensive for the part, before it's even put on.
Have 2 kids who just luv the Quadra and it's our only means of transport here in Wales...

Many Thanks

Tracy
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:57 pm »

Hi Tracy

For a new one try South Wales Propshafts in Newport . Tel 01633 263400 or 256067
http://www.southwalesprops.co.uk/propshaft/vehicles/renault/renault_espace1.htm

Alternatively there's a vehicle dismantlers in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire breaking a G reg Quadra for spares. Maybe worth trying if you want to chance a used one. Tel 01269 597691 or 07890914329

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:20:25 am »

Hello evrybody  Smiley

I am looking for a prop shaft coupling (JURID ?) (DOUGHNUT ?) for my quadra.
It seems to have disintergrated.  Was given a price of £180 including p&p...

A friend of mine had a landrover with a similar problem, £40 for part....

It's down to supply and demand I'm afraid Tracy.  The Quadra is very rare in Britain (probably less than 200) where the Landrover is plentiful...

Any help in finding a part would be greatly appreciated.  As £180 seems a bit expensive for the part, before it's even put on.  Have 2 kids who just luv the Quadra and it's our only means of transport here in Wales...

I hope the coupling failure is just normal wear and tear, but since yours is a Quadra have you noticed or checked how tight the viscous coupling is?  (when you last drove it did you get any squealing when turning on full lock, like when parking?  Did you have to use more throttle to overcome resistance when on full lock?)  I'm sorry if this may be more bad news, but it may be that the coupling is too tight causing the doughnut to fail?  Old viscous couplings seizing up is not unknown, and if you think £180 for the doughnut is heavy, a viscous coupling/shaft is around £1000.

So if there is one in a scrapyard with the propshaft complete, check yours and if it needs that too it might be worth checking the one on the scrap vehicle.  If good, see how much they want for it.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: