| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hard wiring a tomtom  (Read 12399 times)
davidewanprice
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:08:58 pm »

Hi people!

Ive just invested in a hardwire charging unit for my tomtom which gets rid of any external wires or plugging in to the cigarette lighter (i know im sad but i like a tidy car). Now its arrived ive run the cable down the left window pilar (hidden by the trim) and under the dash. My plan was to hard hire it to the back of the back of cigarette lighter unit except the lead is too short (yes i could extend it but) to reach to the right of the dash. My experience with car electrics is lets say limited so any advise as to a suitable/safe alternative 12v +ve/-ve  nearer to the driverside dash would be handy.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:43:57 pm »

You don't want it connected to the cigarette lighter as that would leave the charger permanently on and may drain the battery.

If you are after a simple solution, you could take a post ignition source from the back of the interior fan switch. A piggy back connector on the centre tab would be a suitable source.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:30:58 am »

Hi people!

Ive just invested in a hardwire charging unit for my tomtom which gets rid of any external wires or plugging in to the cigarette lighter (i know im sad but i like a tidy car). Now its arrived ive run the cable down the left window pilar (hidden by the trim) and under the dash. My plan was to hard hire it to the back of the back of cigarette lighter unit except the lead is too short (yes i could extend it but) to reach to the right of the dash. My experience with car electrics is lets say limited so any advise as to a suitable/safe alternative 12v +ve/-ve  nearer to the driverside dash would be handy.

Well if you wanted a really neat solution there is a good one, but involves a bit more work.  Early Murena had the instrument illumination from the ignition.  Yours like all the later ones has the panel illumination from the side light circuit.  However, the wiring loom still had the ignition feed wire in it, and it was just left unused.  It is in the main loom on the left behind the dash.  If it is taped over you will have to feel for the lump in the loom and uncover it first.  Then you have your ignition feed (grey wire) with a female lucar terminal already on the end just waiting for a male lucar connector to be inserted!

Otherwise you need to pick up any ignition feed behind the dash and join onto it.

Roy

davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:53:15 pm »

Would it be using battery charge even when the tomtom isnt plugged in? Id found an easy wiring behind the clock.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:17:31 pm »

Would it be using battery charge even when the tomtom isnt plugged in? Id found an easy wiring behind the clock.

That depends on the electronics inside of which we don't really know anything.

Used to own:
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:46 am »

Since the clock feed is live, not ignition, it would depend on what is attached.  If it is only some wiring with nothing to 'burn' any power then you have no problem.  If there is anything like a transformer in that attachment, you could be using power even without the actual unit plugged in.

One thing to be aware of - sat. nav. units are highly desirable at the moment and top of the 'steal' list.  If there is any, even slight, indication of the possibility of a unit in the car, you are a target.  Now with our cars, if someone smashes a window, that is likely to be a bigger nuisance than the loss of the sat. nav. as it could take longer than an ordinary car to get a replacement fitted.  It is even more annoying if there is nothing to steal so the window was broken for nothing!  And worse, they may break the rear side window thinking they can then reach in and unlock the door, not knowing there is an internal glass. So they break that too.  i have seen it done a few times...  So make sure there really is no possibility that may make the car a target. (the obvious ones are sucker marks on the inside of the glass, stands, or aerials)

Roy

davidewanprice
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:04:18 am »

Ive done it in such a way that when im not using the sat nav the wire can be hiiden away from sight, and i always take the window fitting craddle out. The link to what i bought is below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110152843151&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 07:19:08 am »

25 dollar? That smart converter is made of parts which costs 1 dollar and 3 minutes time to assamble.

davidewanprice
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:17:16 pm »

Well not everyone has the time and knowledge im affraid, if i did the thread wouldnt exist! At least im not as stupid as some! where they have used the lead from there cigarette lighter, cut the end off (the fused bit) and hardwired it that way.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:40:48 pm »

Well not everyone has the time and knowledge im affraid, if i did the thread wouldnt exist! At least im not as stupid as some! where they have used the lead from there cigarette lighter, cut the end off (the fused bit) and hardwired it that way.

That would be a silly solution as the lighter also contains a regulator to protect the navigator from voltage spikes in the car that can easily damage the unit!

Used to own:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: