| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Head removal or not 2.2DT 1997  (Read 12176 times)
ESPACED

« on: December 23, 2007, 09:27:19 pm »

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the site and I'm hoping that I will be a long serving member.
I bought an espace that had a head gasket problem, thinking that it would be quite easy to repair using an espace repair manual did not know at the time this did not exist
There’s oil every where... It took me a day just to remover the radiator as it needed cleaning, now flushed and ready.. But have no idea were to go from here...
Some people have told me not to bother with the head and just replace the whole engine as it is easer and quicker as the sleeves may have moved?Huh
The espace engine (not being a mechanic) is a very unusual looking engine and not very conventional, well not to me that is…
Any help will be accepted with open arms or even if you can tell me of a work shop manual that I can buy..

Many thanks for taking the time to read all this

Best regards
Tony
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:31:03 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:35:55 am »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You are right, Haynes does not have a manual for the Espace. But if you can read just a bit of french (and have a dictionary), there's a very good manual available from the french publisher ETAI which documents your particular engine. It's not that strange...!

The block does not have any liners/sleeves by the way, it is cast iron, but I'm not sure there's enough space in the engine compartment to get the head off without taking the engine out of the car.

Here's a link to the book on the french Amazon: http://www.amazon.fr/Renault-espace-essence-diesel-depuis/dp/2726860311/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198478118&sr=8-1

PS: I have modified your subject from all capitals... I hope you don't mind Smiley

Regards,
Anders
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:37:36 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
ESPACED

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:54:33 am »

Hi Anders
thanks for replying,
i am using a laguna manual which is not that great..taking the engine out would be the only way forward I think as it is very tight in the engine bay...
some have told me that i should lift the car over the engine?? but that sounds a little hard to do, I do have a engine hoist but not sure if the engine can be hoisted, any views on this??? the engine  has done 170,000 miles and I'm also worried that i might be wasting my time doing the head what do you all think???
Oh thanks will look into the French manual but my French is not good .shameful infact i can't do French

Many thanks
Tony

P.S.
no problem on the modification of subject..
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 07:37:58 pm »

Well, the only way out for the engine is DOWN. Or the car can go up... However, the front bumper, radiator etc still needs to be removed, but you can't get it out that way. Up is not really an option, the windscreen will block the way.

I think it would be possible to do the job by lowering the engine out with hoist with the car on stands. You could leave the engine "inside" the engine room, as with the drivetrain lowered there should be plenty of space to work on the engine.

I had an 8V petrol Espace JE where my mechanic was able to remove the head with the engine still in the car, but I don't know if it would be possible with the DTI engine.

As for the manual, I still recommend you buy it as it has very good drawings and photos. And then arm yourself with a dictionary: Clutch is embrayage etc... Cheesy

- Anders
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:39:33 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
ESPACED

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 05:47:32 pm »

Hi Anders,
I think you are right about dropping the engine as it's looking that way, have done some reading from a Laguna Manual and only now have realised the amount of work to be done... Shocked
Oh, have ordered my espace Manual from France and should receive it soon I hope..
all I need now is good weather, a lot of time, little luck and "plenty of help"
but on a serious point I'm sure I can do it by reading the Laguna Manual and the diagrams from the French Manual, plus if you guys wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions to help  PLEASE...
many thanks
Tony
P.S.
Happy New year to all Grin
ESPACED

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:30:10 pm »

Started work today, drained the engine and the transmission oil and hoped to remove both driveshafts at the very least , but spent a day working on the control arm trying to remove the nut that sits on top of the ball joint.

How do I remove that nut? I have loosened it and the nut only needs to come off the end, but what is happening is, as I turn the nut with the spanner the ball joint just turns too. I have tried holding the shaft of the ball joint with a pair of pliers but it still spins when i turn the nut.

Any tips on how I can stop the ball joint from spinning so i can take the nut off? Also should it spin in the first place??

Advice will be much appreciated! Thanks.
renaultbiler

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 01:21:40 pm »

It should not spin but occaisonally this happends if it is loose from the cone. Good news is that it will drop off easy once the nut is off.

Only way is to make sure there is no dirt to stop the nut and then append as much pressure as possible on the ball joint either with a powerfull grip or by lowering the car appending pressure to the ball with something under it to build pressure. On the steering assembly this is tricky (easier on the suspension). Last resort is to split the nut with a small cutter or a nut-splitter (or whatever it is called in english..) or replace the ball joint as you can destroy it (cut the nut and its shaft) to get it off.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:23:17 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
ESPACED

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 05:52:39 pm »

Hi Guys,
thanks for the reply,
Good news manages to remove nut and have now removed both drivesharfts, it took me the whole day and its so cold out there.. yes I'm a nutter, I'm doing it on the driver in December.... Grin
Now the bad news my jack has decided to die.... Sad
Any way now on to the next stage, removing the engine which I think will tackle next  Saturday if the weather is good as no more time left..
Will keep you posted on my progress
again many thanks for all help given
Tony
ESPACED

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »

It's been a whole months since I last post my progress or lack of it, this is mostly due to very cold weather and to many other things to do...
This quick post is just to let you all know that you can remove the engine  with gearbox from the front of a espace..but it s not easy.....
We had to rotate the whole engine 180' degress... reposition and the rotate back 90' and host her out.
Have not taken head of yet but i do think this engine is a gonna and may repace complete..

I'm so happy I got the engine out today, not sure if she go back in the same way thought,  worry about that when the time comes,,

will keep you all post

best regards
Tony
 Smiley

ESPACED

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 12:01:59 am »

finally have removed the head..
waiting now for a bloke who knows about engines to come and see what the damage is...
I must tell you that removing the engine and taking the head off should not be done by anyone who might give up as there is a hell of a lot of bits and pieces to take off, if i knew what i was undertaking i would of never started...
let you know the out come  soon
Tony
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: