| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Brake overhaul booklet  (Read 39130 times)
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 11:20:55 am »

We're talking about the rubber boot that surrounds the caliper piston.  That should be filled with "rubberlube"  brake grease and only requires a small amount.  Ordinary grease can be used for the boot that encloses the handbrake mechanism.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »

We're talking about the rubber boot that surrounds the caliper piston.  That should be filled with "rubberlube"  brake grease and only requires a small amount.  Ordinary grease can be used for the boot that encloses the handbrake mechanism.

No, I was actually talking about the rubber boot encloseing the handbrake mechanism...... Grin And then like you said, ordinary grease can be used here like it was when I opened it, filling this with brake grease is what I meant wouldn't be cheap....

On all other parts in the brake mechanism brake grease will ofcourse be used.  Wink

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »

Roy, on page 11 in the booklet, you say " use some brake grease around the inside of the rubber boot" On mine the boot was packed with, I guess, regular grease. Seemed to have done the job, still there and no leaking either inside or outside.

Should I buy enough to pack the boot full with brake grease, or would a regular type suffice? And would you recommend some on the inside, or packing it full?

Sorry I only get on here occasionally.  If you are talking about the rubber boot on the back of the caliper covering the hand brake mechanism, then yes you could use normal grease.  It doesn't need to be full or packed as long as the mechanism is covered from any moisture that might creep in.  However, I use brake grease on all brake areas where grease is required simply as I keep a tub of it.  These 500 gm tubs are only about £6 in the U.K. say about £10 or £11 if mailed.  One tub will last me a long time even using it at the rate I do, and I do quite a lot of brake overhauls for customers.

You should not use normal grease anywhere near brake rubber seals as it can affect them adversely.

Roy

klumzer

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »

Was it diffiicult to assemble the brake booster?
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 09:11:11 am »

Wouldn't know, haven't put it back together yet, I donæt think it is that bad, it is a rather simple constuction.

On the downside thou, A lot of the parts I ordered Simon could not deliver, The most important being the parts for mounting the brakes like springs and wedges for both the front and the rear.....
And he could not give any ETA on when he would recieve a new shipment.

So, how important are the wedges, and would I be able to refurbish my old ones into something workable....?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
klumzer

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 09:44:37 pm »

I am afraid it is not easy to assamble the two shells because the seal between them is the diaphragm itself if I am not mistaken. So you have to press them thightly and twist. It can not be easy without special tools...
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »

Wouldn't know, haven't put it back together yet, I donæt think it is that bad, it is a rather simple constuction.

On the downside thou, A lot of the parts I ordered Simon could not deliver, The most important being the parts for mounting the brakes like springs and wedges for both the front and the rear.....
And he could not give any ETA on when he would recieve a new shipment.

So, how important are the wedges, and would I be able to refurbish my old ones into something workable....?

If you are talking about the caliper wedges and springs, then you can get the rear ones from Renault in a day (at least here in the U.K.)  If you have my brake booklet, the part number is in the list inside the rear cover.  And they are cheaper too!  (exactly the correct parts as certain Renault use basically the same rear caliper)

I have not found an alternative front kit yet.

Roy

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »

Yes Roy, those are the ones I mean.  Just checked now, and the alternative part is not available in Norway at all.  Shocked

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:56 am »

Is there any reason why the banjo is fitted to the top inlet on the rear caliper? It seems it just complicates things with an extra bleed nipple, drilled banjo etc. Is there any reason why one can't correct this now that I'm fixing everything else down there....?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:15 am »

Don't think there is a special reason.
It was in stock because it was mounted on the Bagheera, so why developa new one if it is usable.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 08:43:46 am »

(But wasn't it mounted correctly with the banjo lowest and nipple on top...?  Huh)

I have just been talking to Jürgen Roterberg(VERY helpful guy with much knowhow) about the rear calipers. It seems that the brakehoses were making contact with the propshaft when mounted on the bottomside, and this was the reason for switching position of the banjo to the top, and therefore the need for a nipple in the banjo.
Will perhaps see if there is a way of routing the hose so they dont make contact when I reassemble the rear calipers and brakes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:41:06 pm by RazorbackNOR » Logged

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 08:14:06 am »

The secret to remove is here.

Pic Urbain

Found out that you were close, but wrong Oetker  Wink

The slot for the piece holding the rod is not that one, it's underneath that ring, not above it.

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:37 am »

I have much pics, but not everything I do is exactly documented.
Also in time I forget things.
This was as close as possible, but anyway you found it.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:30 am »

No harm done Oetker.  Grin

I just could not figure out why I didn't find it. And I was a bit scarred of pulling to much on the rubber, but finally I did, and would you believe it, there was that little bugger!! Wink

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: