| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Should I buy - or should I not...?  (Read 18564 times)
b-havers

« on: September 23, 2007, 03:01:53 pm »

Just been looking at a 1984 2.2 Murenna in original conditiom
56000 km on the clock, near mint interior (except from holes after loudspeakers), and exterior in pretty good shapes.

Known errors;
* Waterpump is beyond rescue (water flow out when engine is running
* Brake hoses looks to be ready for exchange
* Headlights wont pop completely up, stops ca halfway
* Outer glass on the left hand side fog/driving lights missing
* Doorgaskets are bad

Except from this I could find no faut on the car.
It has been standing still for a couple of years, which of course might explain the waterpump fail. Is there any chance that the gaskets in the engine might give up as well, and start leaking?

The trailing arms looked to be in pretty good shape; a bit surface rust, but they felt hard and compact.
A bit surface rust also on the front suspension part, as well as brake servo/masterpump.

Asking price is NOK 35000 (ca DKK 30000).

Should I buy - or should I not?

Bjorn-Anders
Fibreglass maniac; 1971 Lotus Elan, 1969 Lotus Europa, 1969 Marcos GT and 1982 Matra Murena
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:24:39 pm »

Well.... provided that there are no other faults on the car, and that the paint work on it is still ok, Id say that 35000 Nkr is a fair price... though not a bargin.(it would probably be in Dk.. but we have some ridiculous car taxes here as you surely know)
None of the faults you mentioned are particularly expensive to fix.. provided that you can do it yourself of cause..

However...
It is very hard to give advice regarding a car that you havent been able to check out yourself.. and there might be hidden faults that.. and a defect waterpump can cause other more serious issues.. such as a cracked cylinderhead , if its left to its own.

I would also have a look at all the cooling pipes and hoses (if you a
 haven't done that already)
And the brake discs and calibres..... they might be sized and rusted after not being used.

Finally.. 56000km?? really?... .. If someone bothered to install other loudspeakers in the car.. surely they would have used it a lot more then that in 23 years!

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:36:14 pm »

I think it sounds like a good buy (Norway has rediculous tax on cars too, though a bit less than we have in Denmark), but it would be wise to get the engine out and do all gaskets in it now that you are doing the water pump. That would give you a chance to look at the pistons and cylinders at the same time to determine whether anything there needs mending.

If you need to do brake hoses and pipes anyway, you can send the calipers for restoration with Roy4matra - he has the tools to do it properly so it will be quick and relatively cheap.

But krede is right, of course, there can be hidden faults - carburettor, ignition, electrics, gearbox/linkage, clutch cylinders - you name it. As a matter of fact I think that there probably *are* hidden faults. After all: It's a very old car, and a few other problems has probably developed as it has been standing.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
LarsB

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:58 am »

I would advise you to check for possible waterleaks into the cabin and thrunk, The roof andd front windshield is known to come loose and leak.

Lars

b-havers

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »

Well, I went ahead and bought the car. 
NOK 30.000,- can't be too bad.

If a lot of hidden faults turn up, then I'll just put it up for sale again... Guess you are right about both the engine gaskets and the calipers... According to the seller, it has been started up regulary during the two years of standing still, and it was driven some meters this summer...

Hoe do I best change the waterpump, if I decide not to take the whole engine out? Via the right wheelarch - or do I have to do it 'Lotus style' (bending the arms into unknown angels, and fiddeling besides the engine in the blind (I've got two Lotuses, so I know how it works...)) ?

Bjorn-Anders
Fibreglass maniac; 1971 Lotus Elan, 1969 Lotus Europa, 1969 Marcos GT and 1982 Matra Murena
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:20:44 pm »

Hoe do I best change the waterpump, if I decide not to take the whole engine out? Via the right wheelarch - or do I have to do it 'Lotus style' (bending the arms into unknown angels, and fiddeling besides the engine in the blind (I've got two Lotuses, so I know how it works...)) ?

Seems you know what to expect then.

There is a procedure for replacing the water pump with the engine in the car, but you cannot access it through the wheel arch as the chassis place will block the access. Further, if you want to do the gaskets, and even if you aren't taking the head off, getting the engine out may be your best option. Specifically the sump gasket cannot be renewed with the engine still in the car because one of the engine mounts are on the sump itself.

So since you have a non-runner anyway, I'd recommend you do the "big job" instead of trying the faster route. It will be better in the long run, I think.

- Anders

Used to own:
b-havers

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 02:08:16 pm »

There is a procedure for replacing the water pump with the engine in the car, but you cannot access it through the wheel arch as the chassis place will block the access.

Could you please let me know this procedure, Anders, as I will give it a try befor I extract the engine. Feel free to send it in danish  Wink

Got the car home last night, but due to exessiv rain I din't give it a closer look, just rolled into the garage and went to a hot shower...

/Björn-Anders

Bjorn-Anders
b-havers

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 02:10:19 pm »

Just to let you get a glimse of the car; I'll put out some pictures to my WEB-site www.haverstad.net later on.

/Björn-Anders

Bjorn-Anders
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 03:51:45 pm »

1971 Lotus Elan, 1969 Lotus Europa, 1969 Marcos GT and 1983 Matra Murena

YOU BASTARD!! Wink

ps: your car looks pretty decent from what I can see on the pictures.... and I LOVE that rear window grill !!! so 80'ies!...like the stickers.. .. niiiiiice  Cool
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 04:18:03 pm »

There is a procedure for replacing the water pump with the engine in the car, but you cannot access it through the wheel arch as the chassis place will block the access.

Could you please let me know this procedure, Anders, as I will give it a try befor I extract the engine. Feel free to send it in danish  Wink

Got the car home last night, but due to exessiv rain I din't give it a closer look, just rolled into the garage and went to a hot shower...

/Björn-Anders

Congratulations. It looks good! Cheesy
I'll do a scan of the manual in german for you and post it here - I can't promise to do it today though as I'm coming home late this evening. Tomorrow perhaps.
Looks like a very nice collection of cars you have there and the Murena will probably like the company with the Lotus'es. Murena's have feelings, as I would think Lotue's have too... Wink

Used to own:
b-havers

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:38:55 am »

1971 Lotus Elan, 1969 Lotus Europa, 1969 Marcos GT and 1983 Matra Murena

YOU BASTARD!! Wink

Grin
I've read somewhere that envy makes people tell what they really feel....

Just joking.
My cars have been put together during the last 15 years, by buying and selling, earning some money here and there, then buying a more expensive car. Selling this, earning a bit, buying a more expensive car..

Finally; I sold a Jaguar, a Caterham and a Porsche this summer, which finally made me buy a couple of cars I've really wanted - and then came the Murena gliding through my computer last saturday night. And; being a fibreglass maniac and also opting to own 'un-normal cars', I just had to buy it...

Gave it a close inspection last night, and it really seems to be in the good condition it was told to be. A bit surface rust on the left trailing arm, but an hour with the wirebrush and some Ferrobet cured it. In a day or two I'll give it a layer of Hamemrite, to make it look nice again.

Have been in contact with Matra Magic in the UK to get prices on the needed spares; are they an OK firm to do business with? Or would you suggest me using Simon?

Bjorn-Anders
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 07:46:10 am »

I have purchased parts from Simons on several occasions , and have so far been VERY satisfied with them.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:55:14 am »

Have been in contact with Matra Magic in the UK to get prices on the needed spares; are they an OK firm to do business with? Or would you suggest me using Simon?

MatraMagic and Simon, Politecnic and Jürgen (forgot his lastname, Michal... I think you got some spares from him?), Carjoy, and H.B Pièces - all good IMO. Simon is popular here in Denmark since he is quick to send stuff and freight is very quick from Germany.

I found the pages on the water pump precedure yesterday evening. It doesn't look that bad. I'll scan it tonight.

The surface rust on the trailing arms is no problem. The bad rust seems to come from the inside for most people, I'm afraid.

I saw your homepage about your cars. I think you will be happy with the Murena in your collection! I hope you made a good buck on your Caterham... Wink

- Anders
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:30:22 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
b-havers

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 01:07:48 pm »

Simon can't deliver all the required parts, whilst Matra Magic have them in stock.
Hopefully they don't ship it the usual british way (which means 'perhaps today, perhaps in a week or two...')

Bjorn-Anders
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:47 pm »

I paid for something from Matra magic on Monday morning and it arrived Tuesday morning.

You shouldn't worry about dealing with Will.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: