| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: espace fans  (Read 19020 times)
tanner

« on: October 06, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

hi everyone,
                        i have only just joined and am after some advise, on our 1995(n) espace only one fan seems to run when the engine warms up.
is this normal or should they both be running at the same time or does it only use both if it ges really hot?
i only brought my car 2 weeks ago but love it dearly already, so comfortable and no rot yeeha!! many thx in advance.

stuart
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:38:04 pm »

Hi Stuart and welcome aboard !

I used to have a J63 as well, and as far as I remember the fans are supposed to go on together.

It could be something as simple as poor connection on the terminals of the fans themselves.
They are sitting in a fairly harsh environment out there, and at least on my car they were quite corroded, and gave little or at one point no contact.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
tanner

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:04:10 am »

thx lennart,
                  i will investergate tomorrow if i get the time, just wanted to make sure before i start fidling with the wires.

again many thx

rgds
stuart
espaceman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:57:47 pm »

Hi Tanner,
Both fans come on together. Lennart is correct with regard to the fan connections. There is a large block connector slightly oval in shape with I think (9- 12 pins) close to the fans. This does corrode very badly especially if you are driving in salty roads in winter. The fix is to redo the connection and seal it from the elements.
Tip:
Renault did not in most cases fit rad fan fuses directly on the motor circuits. This is ok but if the vehicle was in a collosion then there could be an unwanted electrical fault. Please check that your feed wire to the fan circuit  is fused.
Rgds
Espacman

fender

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:18 am »

Both fan's should work together. I found on mine that the magnet's in one of the motor's had come adrift. I glued them back in. On the 2nd occaision of failing the terminal block had become corroded (as previously stated). I made a new connection block.
 I now disconnect the connection near the battery and hook it up to the battery positive every so offten just to make sure that they are both still working.
Rgds
Karl
tanner

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:28:34 am »

hi guys,
            fender i take it the fan motors are stripable? i have investergated and found that one of the motors is siezed, i managed to get it running for a short time ( with wd40) then found it siezinf again. if i could get inside the motor i am sure it would be just a matter of grease in the right area (shaft).any ideas?

rgds
stuart
tanner

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »

hi guys,
              no problems it is all sorted now the fans are running lovely and no new parts needed.
thx again for all your help. just one other thing is is a major job to do the cam belt on the 2 litre engine as i have no idea when or even if it was ever done it now has 102000 on it so may need doing.

rgds
stuart
fender

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 11:24:50 pm »

Cam belt change cost me £65 at local garage. Not worth me lifting bonnet at that price. By  the way what was wrong with fan's?
rgds
Karl
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:26:51 pm by fender » Logged
tanner

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 03:46:45 pm »

HI KARL,
                WHEN I REMOVED THE FANS I FOUND THAT THE SHFT ON ONE HAD SIEZED WHILE TRYING TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC FAN I FOUND THE FAN HAD SUDDLY FREED UP,
SO I PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AND HAY PRESTO THEY ARE NOW WORKING GREAT.
TO BE HONEST THIS WAS PROBABLY ONLY A SHORT TERM FIX AND I WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO REPLACE IT!
I SEEM TO NOW HAVE ANOTHER PROB THE REAR DOORS DONT LOCK ON THE REMOTE THEY TRY TO BUT JUST CANT DO IT, I AM THINKING A BIT OF GREASE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AGAIN I WILL TAKE A LOOK OVER THE WEEKEND.

RGDS
STUART
fender

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:30:06 am »

Good job on fan's and yes you can get into them. My near side rear door is lazy at locking. If I push the tab up & down a few time's it seem's to cure it for a while. Have you tried using the key in the door lock's? I have owned mine for 8yrs now and have never used the door lock's. I tried them the other week and they were solid and would not turn. 1 hour of manipulating and half a can of WD40 eventually got them free.
rgds
Karl
tanner

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:14 am »

hi karl,
            its the back door that seems to be the problem it was ok when i brought it 2 weeks ago only the last couple of days, when you activate the fob it move the plunger up and down just not enough to do its job?
it might be a lazy soliod are the rear door cards easy to get off? just dont want to break anything, as this car is imaculate i get a lot of looks driving it as its that really rich red shine like a diamond.
the onlt thing is you can hear the gearbox slightly and im sure i reconise the engine as being out of a volvo as i had a 7 seater one of these a while ago until the cam went on the m3 at 100 miles an hour bang!!!!.
are there any obvoise things i should keep my eyes on as this is a new car to me would be nice to have someback ground.

rgds
stuart
fender

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 02:16:39 am »

I maybe tempting fate here, but the only problem I've had is the Lambe sensor and it led me a right merry dance. Every garage I went to said it was'nt it because I got rough running on start-up. This is tosh or at least it was in my case cause after replaceing everything else to no avail, when I replaced said offending item normality was restored. Oh and the idle speed valve played-up, but I took it off filled it with WD40 gave it a good shake a few time's and a load of crap came out and normal service was resumed.

I do like to change the cam belt every couple of year's though. It's now done 140k and is still sweet to drive and it's had a hard life cause I live on an island right up north. Like anything, look after it and it'll look after you. That's my moto. Could'nt bare to part with it now it's so practical.
rgds
Karl
TonyG

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 11:19:18 pm »

Hi all. My Espace must read this forum cos every time someone puts a new post on, the Espace develops that problem. Fans dont run at all, and the temp gauge on dash now doesnt work. Found gauge fault, was a broken wire to sensor, now need to get a replacement plastic connector. Local scrappy has a few Espace's in at the moment so will raid them of parts. Lost on the fan problem,checked connectors they look good. Does this mean that the rad fan thermoswitch is at fault and if so by shorting it out the fans should run. Any ideas.
Cheers Tony

1992 Espace RXE
espaceman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:27 pm »

Tony,
Try the following
Bypass radfan switch - check fan for operation.
Check current feed - to fan
Check relay if fitted-
Check earth terminal / chassis earth?
Disconnect fan terminals completely from loom and use a temp feed (Fused) and earth / ground wire does the fan operate?

And I know this sounds stupid but you say " fans don't run at all" If you are describing normal operating - is your Espace hot enough,- have you got circulation?

rgds
TonyG

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 12:28:06 am »

Hi. A few times when the temp gauge was working, it went into the red zone and the fans did not work?

1992 Espace RXE
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: