| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: engine swap for a murena 1.6 (MI16)  (Read 10175 times)
Laurens

« on: November 09, 2007, 10:53:56 pm »

I am researching for a engine swap for the murena.

no cutting or welding to the chassis is very important to me. so that the swap can be undone.

I am thinking of an MI16 engine of the 405 mi16 (160 bhp)

But can this engine be placed in the engine bay of the 1.6 without cutting/welding?

Has someone done a mi16 swap on this forum? What is the 0-100 time? and what are the special things you need. what are the total material costs for the engine swap?

I am still in the early stage of research. i don't know if i am going trough with it, but i still want to have a new project on my car after i have repainted it. and if i can put i 160 bhp in the 1.6. than i won't have to buy a 2.2s (ok maybe for rebuild/showcar if i see one for a resonable price).

So if you have info on the MI16 , talk to me Cheesy
P.S. how much bhp can the 1.6 chassis handle without deforming?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:44:19 am »

I considered buying a 1.6 and swapping the engine for a mi16... But in the end I chose the 2.2 as it offered more power right away... and, knowing me, I wasn't sure I would ever get such a project done, as its a bigger project then first expected!!.

To the best of my knowledge no one here has fitted a mi16 in a Murena... but at least two has swapped for a 1.9 8valve pug Gti engine.
Lennart had all the work done for him, but Bart_Maztra, I believe, did all the work himself, so he might be able to help you... maybe he even has some pats laying around Smiley
Fitting the 16v should be much the same as the 8v.. though I think it is harder to find space for the inlet manifold, and It should be possible to get the xu engine in a murena without cutting and welding the frame... but its a huge project.. and bound to be more expensive then one expects... such projects always are.

It's not possible to simply swap the 1.6 for a 2.2! .. there are lots of differences between the cars, such as trailing arms, engine mounting points, anti roll bar, driveshafts, wireing loom  and so on.
So if you want another engine, the 2.2 will be just as difficult to fit as a m16.

I would trust the chassis to cope with 200+ hp without any modification... but not the standard brakes or suspension.

Laurens

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 04:13:34 pm »

tnx for the info. i now maztra. i speak alot with him at the meetings.

i didn't meant to put a 2.2 in a 1.6 but i meant buying a whole 2.2s car.  but that is a future project. buying a 2.2s in bad condition and rebuild it as new. so i have 2 murena's 1 2.2s for show / sunday drive. and one for daily drive.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:48:06 pm »

so i have 2 murena's

What an excellent idea!!!  Grin
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:21:29 pm »

how much bhp can the 1.6 chassis handle without deforming?

Hi
A few years ago I talked on the phone to a guy in Odense (central Danmark) He had turbo charged his original 2.2 engine and he was looking for a new engine block as he had blown up his engine.
For normal street use he had 200 HP which gave no problems.
But he also took his Murena to the drag strip once in a while. With the engine set up for the strip the output was 300+ HP. With this power output he did have some problems with deformation of points for the engine mounts. Further his standard clutch left a blue smoke behind the car down the strip.

Hans

brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:26:34 pm »

I am researching for a engine swap for the murena.

no cutting or welding to the chassis is very important to me. so that the swap can be undone.

I am thinking of an MI16 engine of the 405 mi16 (160 bhp)

But can this engine be placed in the engine bay of the 1.6 without cutting/welding?
I saw Salem doing a MI16 conversion of his 1.6 last month, when I was at Carjoy's. He had to cut a part off the fuel tank and wasn't using the fuel injection.

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:44:55 pm »

There is one on the gallery

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/Conv/P1.9-16v/index.html
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: