| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problem reprogramming the computer under footwell right hand seat.  (Read 7148 times)
Vintage1942

« on: November 06, 2007, 09:52:32 am »

My car is a 2001 Espace with V6 engine.
A Renault shop has tried multiple times to reprogram the computer in the fusebox. The  tell me that the computer does not answer and therefore it is not possible to program it and they have not bee able to find a method to reset the computer. They have told me that in order to fix this I will need to change the computer in the fusebox and also the computer by the engine. Since I do not know how the system is built I do not know if this is required or if it is possible just to get hold of a copy of a FLASH memory and install this in my car.
Since a computer is very expensive and I do not know if I can find a used system I would very much appreciate information from someone who has experienced a similar problem or who knows how to handle the problem.
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:06:26 am »

I guess they have been using CLIP on it (or they will probably have to use CLIP on this (2001), might be to new for the XR25 but that is if so stated on the BII box visually).

- Assuming you mean programming BII configuration and not programming software update, and if they have done it correctly it is with engine not running and ignition ON and sufficiend battery power. It might be "destroyed" if configured with less than 9.8v if i remember correct.
If they can read out its configuration but it denies any reconfiguration i am afraid BII is faulty. If they cannot connect to it at all i would check wiring first.

This does however NOT mean that you have to change the ignition computer - the BII will talk to the ECU again once it is programmed with correct immobiliser data. A new BII will have to be adapted to your car using Renault diagnostic tools on many parameters, it is not plug and play.

You will not be able to use a second hand BII, immobiliser prevents this as the used box is programmed with other keys and immobiliser code not matching the ECU. The ECU can be reset to adapt the BII but still you dont have any keys to go with it and on a second hand BII you probably dont know its origin (VIN on donor car) to find immobiliser code either.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:08:34 am by renaultbiler » Logged

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:03 pm »

BBA Reman have the Espace BII unit (body control module as they call it) listed as one of the components they can repair/remanufacture.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Renault_espace_body_controller_failing

As they fix your existing unit the immobiliser code and keys are not an issue as Tom has pointed out would be the case with one salvaged from another vehicle. On reinstallation it would however still require reconfiguring by a dealer or automotive technician that has a Renault CLIP system but at least it should work out much cheaper than a complete new unit.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Vintage1942

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:57 pm »

I have bought an OBD adapter and have downloaded some software. My plan is to at least define whether the unit is faulty or not. Does anyone know where I can find a list of the codes from the Espace BII? Or even better a complete software that would allow access to the information on the BII. I suspect the original tool designed for the Renault garages will be too expensive.
My remaining problem, the odometer reads miles and I want km as it originally was.
Also during the last visit to the workshop. When they tried to help me to program it to km, they managed to change things so that I now have error reports from parts that had no problems before such as: the passenger airbag; fuel level; and one or two more indications that I believe should have no problems.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: