| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2 diesel RXE 2000 model power problems etc.  (Read 6510 times)
kevinpkirk

« on: November 16, 2007, 01:59:56 pm »

Sorry for the silly subject title, I'm not sure exactly what model I have, (Phase III, JE or whatever??)
My Problem is as follows;
I start car, no problems there,
A couple of seconds later an oil can pops up on dash then bleeps, (but oil level is ok, I check all the time)
Then the diagnostic light flashes on and bleeps followed by the airbag light.
after a few seconds all goes off and then the time and temp show, these 3 lights only come on again if I switch off then restart car.
Also the main problem is I am at a set of lights and as I pull off the car seems to be pulling back, I lift off pedal slightly and then the car surges off leaving a very large amount of black smoke, after that its not too bad.
This seems to happen when I get to a slight incline as well.
Once this has cleared the car runs fine but if I push it too hard in one gear then it just coughs out a lot of black smoke.
I had a diagnostic check done and was told it was the throttle postion sensor. I've changed it with another one, although not new, but still have the black smoke and no power.
I heard of you all talking about the EGR valve, but I don't know where it is or what it looks like.
Could someone please advise on anything I have mentioned I do like the car but may have to get shut if not repairable   Cry
If poss please show a picture of egr valve.....Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 02:30:25 pm by kevinpkirk » Logged
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:07:06 pm »

Hi Kevin and welcome.

I haven't had a problem with rear wheel bearings so can't help you with your other issue other than to confirm your findings that even the aftermarket parts suppliers such as Euro Car Parts only supply rear wheel bearings complete with hubs. So I guess that there must be some particular reason for that such as the way the bearing cups are required to be assembled or pressed in to the hub that can only be done during manufacture.

Regarding the sequence of warning lights that you are getting at start up. It may seem crazy because there is sufficient power in your battery to start the car but such issues can happen if there is insufficient voltage in the battery. Mine did the same for 3 or 4 days after it had been parked up for nearly 4 weeks but was fine as soon as the battery had become fully charged again so it may well be worthwhile having your battery checked to find out if it's getting a little weak. The electronic systems seem to be very sensitive to even slightly reduced voltage.

Regarding the EGR valve. There is already a thread on the forum in which I've posted some pictures of the the EGR valve and it's location. It's on the second page of Espace topics or you can use the following link.
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?topic=345.0
This is however for the 2.2dCi engine that was introduced into the Espace during 2000 so you will need to check exactly which engine you have... because as your car is a 2000 you could have one of the last of the 2.2DT's or one of the first with the 2.2dCi. As far as I know the 2.2DT doesn't have an EGR.
A heavily carbon covered and/or sticking EGR valve can give rise to black smoke and lack of power issues but it is not the only possible cause.
I'm not saying that it is the case with the throttle position sensor because I don't know for sure but quite often with these computer based systems changing a faulty component is not sufficient to solve the problem... with some components the computer needs to know that a new one has been fitted by using the diag box and clearing the previous fault code.

Martin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:17:29 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:35:12 am »

Hi Kevin - welcome aboard.

To find out which car you've got, check the Vehicle ID plate in the righthand front door opening ( example from a J63 model here: http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/Gallery1/Med/j63_94_21td_plate.html ) - the way to decode the VIN is described here:  http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/history.html

I will however agree with Martin that it sounds as if youv'e got a 2.2dT from 2000, and as such it hasn't got a EGR. Also, the fact that the car surges when you lift off, doesn't sound like a clogged EGR to me - but rather as lack of air ?   Is your airfilter OK ?

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
kevinpkirk

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:26:32 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.   Smiley
But I don't have to worry about the power problem any longer.  Huh
Did I repair it or find out the problem?
erm....No, 2 days after posting, the car was written off  Shocked
So thanks for your help, but nevermind
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: