| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: fuel gauge fault on 2001 2.2DCi  (Read 6650 times)
brian

« on: October 24, 2007, 12:40:10 pm »

Hi
I filled up with diesel yesterday but the display does not show all the segments light up as usual but  just shows 1 segment light flashing and a small picture of a fuel pump flashin next to it. anyone got an idea what could be wrong or where to start looking?
 Roll Eyes
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:36:48 am »

Brian, the chances are that the float mechanism in the fuel tank (which operates a potentiometer to provide the fuel level indication) has either given up or the float is stuck at the bottom and hasn't risen with the fuel level as you've filled up.

But... before you start panicking that you'll have the fuel tank to drain and remove from the car to replace the float mechanism I'd keep using the car and see if it rectifies itself next time you fill up.
The reason I say this is because I had once run particularly low on fuel and filled up on a forecourt with an unusually steep side gradient only to find that the fuel level in the gauge didn't come up and the low fuel warning (the illuminated fuel pump) was still on. I obviously knew I had a full tank of fuel so reset the mileage trip indicator and continued to run it to the normal mileage I was getting from a full tank... about 550 miles in my case for the type of motoring I was doing at the time (but kept a 5 litre can of diesel in the boot just in case Wink ) and the next time I filled up the float came back up and I haven't had the same issue since.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
brian

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 03:59:27 pm »

good idea Martin, I did reset the tripometer when I noticed. but normally on this model when you are down to the last drop of fuel the last segment goes out and then a  "service" and petrol pump sign come up where the radio info normally is. this hasnt happend. I have never seen the segment flashing and the little pump as I have described.
still you never know Undecided I will run it as low as I dare then fill up again as you suggest.
cheers
Brian

Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 06:43:32 pm »

Did your fuel gauge reading rectify itself at next fill up Brian?

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
brian

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:59:08 am »

yes,  I did as you said and filled it up again and its been working ok ever since.? fingers crossed that it doesent happen again. thanks for the advice Martin.
Cheers
Brian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: