| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace 2.0 RXE won't restart when warm  (Read 10508 times)
davereyn50

I'm a llama!

« on: May 24, 2005, 10:39:17 pm »

The car is a 1992 2.0 inj Espace and I've done 165,000 miles no problem till now. When the car is just warm and I switch it off it refuses to restart unless I leave it for about 10 mins, when it starts and runs fine. The tickover is a bit high as well. Is this the temp sensor, and should the temp sensor be black or white?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:39:15 am »

I've had this problem coupled with a slightly unstable and high idle.

My conclusion so far is that the water temp sensor is ok on my car, as are the other sensors. I'd check the sensors tough, the temperature sensors are easy to check with an Ohm-meter. Does your car have a catalytic convertor and lambda sensor?

My fuel pump failed a while ago, and I actually think that the problems starting was related to it. It makes a distinctive noise when running, and it's located ahead of the tank in the passenger side (driver side in UK) underneath the car.

Water temp sensor at 20 deg: 283-297 Ohm
Water temp sensor at 80 deg: 383-397 Ohm

Air temp sensor at 0 deg: 254-266 Ohm
Air temp sensor at 20 deg: 283-297 Ohm

Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
davereyn50

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:48:49 am »

Many thanks Anders.

I'll check the readings on the sensor later today and replace if it does not match your values.

Yes it does have a catalytic converter and lamda sensor which was replaced about 2 years ago.

Thanks again I'll let you know the results.
davereyn50

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:00:16 pm »

Changed the temp sensor today and all seemed well until it got warm and it seems the warmer it got the weaker the fuel mixture got until just before the fans came in it stopped altogether. It now runs very erratic when warm and is very difficult to keep running, if it stops it will not start until it has cooled down. Any ideas before I take it to a diagnostics garage? Huh
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:29:38 pm »

Changed the temp sensor today and all seemed well until it got warm and it seems the warmer it got the weaker the fuel mixture got until just before the fans came in it stopped altogether. It now runs very erratic when warm and is very difficult to keep running, if it stops it will not start until it has cooled down. Any ideas before I take it to a diagnostics garage? Huh

A couple of possible problems:

- Fuel pressure too low so injectors doesn't supply necessary amount of fuel, lambda sensor should make up for that, but only intermittently. This is likely a defective pump or a fuel leak.

- Inlet temperature sensor bad too, if it reports the air temperature too low, then the computer miscalculates the fuel amount to a too-lean mixture

- Inlet vacuum sensor faulty or there is a leak in the hose from the inlet manifold

- Bad wires

I suggest you disconnect the water temp sensor until you have had it diagnosed.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: