| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: murena 2.2 shocks  (Read 22438 times)
steve1962

« on: December 18, 2007, 05:59:20 pm »

hi everybody,this is my first post as a i am a new member.bought a murena 2 mths ago as a resto project and am in the process of restoring it.could anybody recommend a set of shocks for this car ?? is there a set from other vehicles that will fit ?? and the same for anti-roll bar bushes Huh Undecided Undecided
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:13 pm »

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

People have different opinions on shocks for the Murena, and Koni seems to have the best brand name. But I think you'll be happy with a set of standard shocks. The Koni's are adjustable, but as far as I know only in order to match different cars and/or to change the damping rate as the shocks wear. The originals were made by Alinquant, I think, but other makes are available too. If you ask one of our parts suppliers, I'm sure they can help you, and this site has a list: http://www.matrasport.info/pointers.html#spares

There are no other vehicles' shocks that will fit - the front shocks from cars like Simca 1100 and Talbot Alpine will probably fit physically, but the damping rate will be completely wrong as these cars were front engined and thus much heavier at the front than the Murena. Rear shocks are unique too, and different between 1.6 and 2.2.

The spare parts suppliers can also help you with anti roll bar bushes.

Cheers,
Anders
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:53:39 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
phil75

Matra Passion Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:18:49 am »

Welcome

for the shocks : http://www.hbpiecesauto.com/old/ (website in construction)

it have just received shock absorbers for murena (1.6 & 2.2) but the quantity is very limited

their new address (they moved this summer) :
HB Pièces Auto
41, Boulevard Gallieni
95100 Argenteuil
FRANCE
unchanged phone number and faxes

- Philippe -
Matra Murena 2.2 1983 engine 20000 km
Yamaha R1 2004  9000 km (engine)
VW Golf II 1.8 1990 209000 km
Rover 111 1994 155000 km
steve1962

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 04:49:35 pm »

thanx anders,not looking to spend a fortune on these as the car has so many other little expensive probs to sort out !!!have just fitted ss water pipes to cure the overheat,also an alternator and battery,but need to attend to the earthing points i think.do you know where these are Huh? having said that the car is now drivable and its a car that you want to get in and drive fast !!!! i must say,its sort of taking over my life,time and bank acc !
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:19:21 am »

thanx anders,not looking to spend a fortune on these as the car has so many other little expensive probs to sort out !!!have just fitted ss water pipes to cure the overheat,also an alternator and battery,but need to attend to the earthing points i think.do you know where these are Huh? having said that the car is now drivable and its a car that you want to get in and drive fast !!!! i must say,its sort of taking over my life,time and bank acc !

Cheesy

Glad to hear you like the car! I also find my Murena quite 'addictive' - perhaps even meditative! - to drive. I keep a wish list of purchases for it so it won't drain my bank account (which I share with my wife!) all at once, but somehow the list tends to grow faster than it shrinks Huh

Used to own:
steve1962

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:51:36 pm »

just been looking at possible replacements from other sports cars anders.
triunph tr7 shocks,standard  20 gbp each,total cost 80 gbp,ok providing they fit,i certainly think theyd be strong enuff
steve Grin
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 09:05:40 am »

Hi Steve

I would be surprised if they would work well on the Murena. Last time I checked the TR7 was front engined, i.e. significantly heavier at the front than the Murena. Further, the shocks are designed to keep the tyres safely on the ground during braking (together with the springs) where the load is shifted towards the front, and the damping rate on the shocks is tuned to achieve the shortest possible braking distance. Since the load shift on the mid-englied Murena is significanlty lower than on the TR7, I'd be surprised if the damping rates would match. On the other hand, I don't know the specifications for the Murena shocks, nor on the TR7's, so they just might match, I just don't think so, and unless you could get the spec's on both, I wouldn't recommend experimenting with this particular component Wink

Cheers,
Anders

Used to own:
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:47:56 pm »

Attention! The biggest difference between Simca/Talbot and Murena shocks is in the rubber on the top of the shock dumper, because all Simca/Talbots (1100, 1307,1308, 1510, Solara) has the rubber backstop on the chassis near the lower arm, but Murena hasn't this one and it is supplied by rubber o-ring which is situated under the upper skirt of shock dumper. Sorry for my long explanation, but hope that you understand it  Wink

Bart_Maztra

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 05:55:49 pm »

Here is my current koni adventure.  I never liked the koni rear shocks. They are 3 years old and fitted with standard 2.2 springs. They are much too soft to my opinion. Yes, you can adjust the damping, but only the outward move. The inward move is very soft.
I was able to buy some old koni's, which i sacrifice for sience.  I opened the shocks, drained the oil and replaced it by some thicker oil.  I used shell 5w forkoil.
(and a bit of fresh paint Wink)

Today i tested the "new" dampers for the first time. It was a very short testdrive, because one brake caliper was not free and it start smoking of the heat! But the first impression of the shocks are very positive!
I don't know if this thicker oil is damaging the internals. We'll see

steve1962

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:09 am »

Hi Steve

I would be surprised if they would work well on the Murena. Last time I checked the TR7 was front engined, i.e. significantly heavier at the front than the Murena. Further, the shocks are designed to keep the tyres safely on the ground during braking (together with the springs) where the load is shifted towards the front, and the damping rate on the shocks is tuned to achieve the shortest possible braking distance. Since the load shift on the mid-englied Murena is significanlty lower than on the TR7, I'd be surprised if the damping rates would match. On the other hand, I don't know the specifications for the Murena shocks, nor on the TR7's, so they just might match, I just don't think so, and unless you could get the spec's on both, I wouldn't recommend experimenting with this particular component Wink

Cheers,
Anders
yeah i know what your sayin anders,i dont know if the prob is the shoks anyway.its just bin motd so im thinking all the ball joints are ok,but its very noisy from the front,sounds like anti-roll bar bushes type noise.i shall investigate further !!!! what i was thinkin with alternative shocks is fitting front shocks from another to the rear of the murena,and rear to front Huh??
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 04:43:44 pm »

It appears the most common source of clicking and ratteling is the brake pad springs missing or incorrectly fitted...

My car rattles from the rear brakes when winter sets in, but stops again in spring - it's part of her personality Wink

Used to own:
steve1962

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 08:48:57 pm »

It appears the most common source of clicking and ratteling is the brake pad springs missing or incorrectly fitted...

My car rattles from the rear brakes when winter sets in, but stops again in spring - it's part of her personality Wink
yeah,this is definitely a suspension related knock.gonna chk it out tomorrow anders.ill let u know what i find.got loads of bits and bobs to do.speedo cable now needs changing,spose ill have to order one of those
steve Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: