| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: clutch master or slave ????  (Read 6308 times)
steve1962

« on: January 01, 2008, 09:27:25 pm »

clutch probs.thought id bleed the clutch before condemning it as the pedal wasnt all that firm.managed to slacken the slave cylinder bleed nipple-which took a bit of persuading with the blowlamp.however,with my wife pumoing the pedal for 15 mins,absolutely no fluid coming out at all.is this the master or the slave Huh is there alternate parts replacement Huh?
thanx
steve
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:28 pm »

Hi Steve

Is the slave cylinder piston moving (acting on the clutch release fork) when the pedal is depressed?

If it is, then there must be fluid in the system - air alone will just compress and not cause any movement.
But if not (and there is a fluid supply to the master cylinder), then I would guiess that the master cylinder is gone. It isn't difficult to take apart and take a look at the seals on the piston and the cylinder itself. Note that the fluid in the reservoir on the brake cylinder is for both the clutch and the brakes. There's a clear plastic hose taking the fluid from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder which you can seal off before removing the master.

There aren't any cheap alternative parts for the master and slave cylinders, unfortunately. Check the usual suppliers Wink

But unless the piston or cylinder is worn, you can replace the seals on the piston in the master cylinder - as described in this thread (incidentially with almost the same subject title): http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?topic=661.0

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
steve1962

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:04:20 pm »

thanx anders.iv now bought a new master amd slave.iv fitted the master but no luck,it doesnt appear,after endless pumping by the slave,er i mean wife,to be drawing fluid from the resevoir.any ideas Huh not fitted the slave yet,the other one is seized in.one good belt with the hammer and your probly lookin at a new bell housing
steve
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »

Huh

Is the hose from the reservoir open? If you remove it from the master cylinder, will fluid run out of it?

Steve, you are the slave - not your wife!! But you know, of course  Grin

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:40 pm »

The easiest way to bleed the long tube between master and slave cylinder is to attach an oil can (with a hand operated pump) to the bleed valve of the slave cylinder and then fill up the system from the “wrong end”.
I learned this trick from a mechanic friend of mine and then you do not have to discuss with your wife wo is the slave.

Hans
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: