| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Throttle Body Conversion.  (Read 25879 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:41:07 pm »

krede blabbles on and on about legal oddities.... 

I don't get it...

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:06 pm »

Anders.. I'll send you a mail.... we cant disturb the rest of the class while I explain everything for you twice...  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 08:05:41 pm »

One other thing... the guy tuning the ecu told me,that even with the original airbox fitted, the temperature of the air entering the engine quickly rises past 20 degrees C more then ambient as soon as the car was in tight traffic....

So I will fit an air duct from the bottom of the airbox and down in front of the gearbox this weekend....

Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »

If you have to be brutally honest.. SO IS FITTING A SET OF THROTTLE BODIES!!.. though it is less obvious, if you read the legislation carefully you would also in theory have to pass emissions and noise tests AND provide documentation for the new power output!

When I started my project I was told there was no emission standards for a car this old (1982)... (or perhaps only limits for petrol cars?)
Noise level is needed in case the car approval finds the car to loud I was told.
Do you know what kind of power output documentation is required?

In Denmark 170hk is the ABSOLUTE limit a Murena can be approved with, without providing some sort of documentation..... documentation that can only be obtained by undergoing expensive Tüv tests.. (and even Tüv say that if you increase the power by more then 20% the tests will be much more rigorous)
The 20% rule regarding turbo charging also mean that you CANNOT
one to a Murena "S"!!..as this would automatically be regarded as more then 170hk!.. EVEN if you swap the engine for a standard 118hk first!!!

Sorry but this sounds like absolute nonsense to me... I'm sure you won't be allowed to increase you car twice just because it have been taxed in the mean time  Roll Eyes
But then again, when we're talking about the danish car approval I guess anything is possible (or should I say impossible  Huh)

Oh... and I'm sure Jesper got a thing or to say about the 170bhp limit  Wink
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »

When I started my project I was told there was no emission standards for a car this old (1982)
There is still the CO2 in Idle.. but that should be a piece of cake with fuel injection.

You are right about the noise test... but a turbo usually makes a car more quiet.

Sorry but this sounds like absolute nonsense to me
Let me try again...
The rules state that you are ALWAYS allowed to tune up to 20% more power...!

I am allowed to increase the power of my(118hk) Murena up to 170 hp because, it is, apart from the engine, technically identical to a murena "S", witch has 142hk...
If my car was a "S" I could tune it up to 170hk because its an increase of less then 20% in power.

That my car was "approved" taxed, and registered as "tuned" means that i do not have to pay new tax of it...And, in theory, I don't have to prove that its identical to an 142hp "S" when I fit the turbo because its already in its papers.

Better? Smiley

I am crossing my fingers that Jesper has some kind of approval for his conversion.. because otherwise he will have to get a Tüv or similar..

And to be honest, I'm wouldn't dare fitting a different engine to ANY car in dk anymore without having some kind of approved paperwork of it.(like a HDI, or   alfa v6 in a murena)
After all, its a pretty major modification... and I would not at all be surprised 
if I was asked to provide documentation that the engne swap was "safe"... and thats again.. a trip to Tüv in Germany.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:44:15 pm by krede » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 08:52:38 am »

New air box set-up in the making.
I were never happy with the way my first one turned out. the inlet runners, though expensive, were very heavy and poorly made. the air box , was something I cut from sheet metal and welded up in a hurry... well look above and you can see why this wasn't suited for use in a car such as this.
One further thing. The mouth of the inlet runners ended up facing rearwards(to gain length). you will simply not believe how much this muffled the induction sound. So I decided to accept shorter inlet length, and hope for better sound (also much simpler to make).

Carsten from this forum did the flanges for me, and the air box I bought off ebay.. and just so happens to match the colour of my car almost exactly !! YEY!! Wink
Its rather big for this application, and as with everything regarding after market carbs/throttle bodies, space, or lack there of, is an issue. Thus a bit of re-arranging in the engine bay is necessary. The hoses had to be cut at a pretty steep angle, and there is little room to fit the upper nut for the flanges.
I believe that the main cause of my worries is due to my inlet manifold being of the politec type(closely followed in my poor "fabricating" skills and facilities). This goes straight rather then lifting up the carbs as does the original "S" manifold. So no matter what I do the fuel tank will be in my way.

Since my end goal is to fit the engine with a turbo and inlet manifold from a Peugeot 505 I will not do any further modifications to the throttle bodies. But if I had to do it all over (I would have kept the carbs and saved a BE-ZILLIAN euros)... ok I would have forked out on a "S" manifold, or If fitting Injection (that does not need to be level) I would have had a custom manifold made up so the inlet would be one long straight line.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:21:10 am by krede » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: