| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: In case you were wondering...  (Read 33432 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: January 16, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »

Then I can inform you, that the steering wheel of a Murena 2.2 WILL give up before you break the lock on the steering column !!

I know this because some god damn useless (censored) !! wanted to drive a Murena but didn't care to pay for one.. (or even ask if They could have a try)

The poor thing was sitting wounded in the street, waiting patiently for spare parts to arrive (the clutch was gone), and was completely helpless...but in PLAIN sight from my living room window!!

The damage is minor (though I'm not sure that a new steering wheel is available as a sparepart) and my insurance will cover everyting with no bonus loss... but still... I am far beond being pissed off!!!
People who know me will know how much I LOVE this car, and how much time and money I have spend on it (especially recently)... so, that people have such little respect for it.......... sod it!! Im getting a gun!!!       
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:04:02 pm by krede » Logged
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:33 pm »

OH NOOOO !!!!!!!!  Angry Shocked Cry

You know what I wish to You? To catch that piece of sh*t who made this, if I will, he can be absolutely sure that both his hands will be broken, many times also as his fuc*in head - oooh how much I hate "people" who are doing this!!!

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:43:20 pm »

Im pretty sure that If I try to apprehend a car thief, I just end up with a knife in my stomach!! 
No.. I dont want to "catch" the bastards... I want to pick them off from a far using a high powered rifle...!!
davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:49:43 pm »

I keep my car on the road and dread this happening, I just hope that everything damaged can be repaired/replaced without too much cost, was your car alarmed etc?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:30:20 pm »

Sorry to see that mate. Hope it all works out.
If you get stuck for a steering wheel, I have a spare one you can have on a long-term loan.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:08 pm »

I have an alarm, but havent gotten around to installing it yet, as I wanted the injection up and running first (for the immobilizer).
But trust me.. this job has taken priority... though I don't think i will have the time before I go to Kosovo next month.

The damage isn't that severe...no broken glass or locks.(though it remains to be seen whether the steering rack has been damaged) But than again, its pretty easy to open it with a piece of piano wire.. I know.. because I did it once.
My only real concern is that a replacement steering wheel will be very hard to come by as I recall somebody telling me that you cant get them any more.

One thing that pisses me EXTRA off is, that I'm pretty sure I know exactly WHEN the a**holes tried to get away with my car..  I clearly recall hearing a car sounding like its exhaust was broken, having difficulty starting!!!
With the TB's even I have trouble getting the car started.. theres a trick to it... But they must have gotten it running (why else try to smash the steering lock?)

Its a very unpleasant thought..... because Its parked in a REALLY crowded place where people come and go ALL the time.
I have a suspicion that they were trying to take it to a more quiet,dark and cold place , where they could have their way with it without being bothered, and where nobody could hear it scream!
BUT MY BABY FOUGHT BACK!!.. stubbornly refusing to start.. and when finally overcome.... It was saved by the unusually designed steering wheel that promptly broke in defiance of the cowardly act in progress.
Had the Momo wheel still been in the car..... I afraid that it would have defeated the steering lock though...
How far they would have come without a working clutch I'm not sure.... never thought that a car breaking down might actually be a GOOD thing...!   

ps: Thanks Macaroni... I will be sure to take that into account!... as I really like the original steering wheel design an awful lot...
Ill give finding my own a go first.. the momo one will keep the car on the road.. And Ill have about 4 months to find one before as I first return from Kosovo in the middle of may.
Simon have it listed in their new catalogue, with price and everything... so I might be lucky!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:49:55 pm by krede » Logged
davidewanprice
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »

I have an original wheel but sadly its gone soft, it was replaced with a Momo wheel and time spent in the garage didnt do it any favours. It sounds like many originals suffer the same fate so good luck finding one.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:27 pm »

Krede, how awful. I'm completely speechless. I feel so sorry for you! SO SORRY. And for your car.
Thank heavens it didn't get stolen. It's good to know that the steering lock actually works... better keep the car and miss the steering wheel than miss both  Roll Eyes
I hope you can get your car towed (or driven? though I think it may be difficult when it's so tricky to start) to a safe place while you are away.

The simplest possible immobilizer is one of these with the green screw-in thing removed and a 10A fuse connected to power the radio, clock, central locking etc. The fuse will blow immediately if someone tries to start the car, and it will take some time before the thieves spot the battery and find something useful to short the missing connection:

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:20:25 pm »

huiiii  Shocked Shocked Shocked
I feel the cold sweat running down the back.

What type of alarm are you installing - COBRA ?

/Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:17 pm »

hope you can get your car towed (or driven? though I think it may be difficult when it's so tricky to start) to a safe place while you are away.

It will be towed tomorrow morning, it couldn't be done today before the workshop closed. And since its the insurance thats gonna pay they INSIST that one of their workshops  fix it (though I offered to do the work myself once agreed what parts was acceptable to replace)...
Finding a workshop WILLING to take on a murena was actually quite hard, and of cause NONE of them have any idea where to get spares.. so I HAVE to come along tomorrow and asses the damage, and THEN get the parts myself.. for them to replace... ridiculous
OF CAUSE It just so happens that Im going on exercise until Friday next week.. stating tomorrow at 0600am!!...
BUT there is NO WAY! I'm leaving my car as it is for that long!!

Henrik: Defa..it was recommended to me by a friend.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:30:12 pm by krede » Logged
davidewanprice
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »

Im going to fit an immobilizer next, can anyone offer advice.. I have one already but it needs fitting, has anyone got pic/diagrams for me. Thanks
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:13:14 pm »

Im pretty sure that If I try to apprehend a car thief, I just end up with a knife in my stomach!! 

When You are angry and human law is on Your side, your body is able to produce twice more power than usually. I tried this when three ukrainian men (there is a lot of them here in CR, because they are cheap workers, but most of them are here illegally) crashed my silver Murena from behind. When I saw that they were driving drunk, I started to call police by my cell phone. That was what they didn't want, so they went to beat me! It was like in some movie, one of them came and wanted to hit me into my face, I was faster and he hit the ground, at the same moment second one wanted to kick me, I catched his leg and pulled it up and he fell down, than I felt that the third one kicked me into my back. It was really bad, very hard fight, but after 15 minutes they run away in their car and I had only one bumb on my head, sure it happend that good because 10 years ago I was the 5th on the Czech championship in boxing. Terrible was that all cars passed arround us and nobody stopped to help me or to call police  Sad

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »

Im going to fit an immobilizer next, can anyone offer advice.. I have one already but it needs fitting, has anyone got pic/diagrams for me. Thanks

I've collected a good deal of info and experience, which I'm ready to share over e-mail!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:12:06 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
davidewanprice
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 07:51:51 pm »

Thats great, please email me on davidewanprice@hotmail.co.uk, ta
Anders Dinsen
Administrator