| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Removing the back body  (Read 13741 times)
Mark - formerly c5alive.co.uk

« on: January 27, 2008, 09:26:14 am »

Can anyone tell me please how to remove the rear plastic body from the Rancho as I need to get it out of the way to get some welding done.

Also, once the body is removed, how easy is it to put it back on - should I try to weld it up without removing it, or is the removal and refitting easy enough to do ?

Can someone also tell me if there is anywhere I can still buy replacement sills for the Rancho as I need a pair, also inner wings - I need the passenger side inner wing but the other side is ok, but I feel I may as well replace them both while I am doing it.

Last question, and sorry to be a pain, but the Rancho I have here that I am fixing is quite simply a horrible colour as it has a very poor respray at some point in its life in a matt grey colour - I have no idea what colour it used to be before the poor respray. Can anyone suggest a colour that would suit the Rancho please ?

I do have 5 litres of Ford Radiant Red 2K paint here, do you think this colour would look ok on a Rancho ?

Many thanks

Mark

2 Matra Ranchos
1 Mazda E2000
21 Sinclair C5's !!!
tmrancho2

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

I've got this to come on my Rancho + I need to take the axle out so I hope someone on here has done it before and can give us both some advice.

I believe it's worth trying HB Pieces Auto in France for panels.

I think red looks good on a Rancho, what does the log book say. I don't think they where made in many colours.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:51:50 am by tmrancho2 » Logged

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:51:21 pm »

Started removing the back body from the Rancho today. It was easier than I thought once I located every single rivet and bolt. Took the front roof section off first and then the rear. The hardest part was freeing all the bonding adhesive that was on there !!

Removing the roof showed that the Rancho was suffering like many of them in the rust department, and will need many many hours of welding, but nothing that cant be fixed and certainly not bad enough to make me change my mind about restoring the beast !!

There is a big section to be cut out behind the rear arch and it will need tow new sills. The other side is almost rust free though behind the rear arches. I also removed the winds and there are a few patches to do on the inner wings.

All in all, the Rancho is bad, but not as bad as I had thought it was going to be.

I have decidced to restore the older one of the two as the B reg one is in need of major welding to the rear, the bulkhead ( very bad ), the inner wings, sills, floor, A posts, etc etc etc etc etc where as the Y reg Rancho was actually a pleasant surprise !!

I will try to get some pictures on here soon of the "work in progress"

Thanks everyone

Mark

2 Matra Ranchos
1 Mazda E2000
21 Sinclair C5's !!!
tmrancho2

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:48:34 pm »

That's good to know Mark, looks like your making excellent progress much better than me (not touched mine in 2 years) hopefully that will change soon.

Would definitely like to see some pictures how did you get on with the posting them?

Keep up the good work.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:21:53 pm »

That's good to know Mark, looks like your making excellent progress much better than me (not touched mine in 2 years)

Martin

Now would be a great time to start Martin mate, we could help each other as we go along and if you start now we can both enjoy our Ranchos in the summer !!!

LOL

I am in the very lucky position of being able to work on my Rancho every day for 4 hours or so thanks to my C5 website requiring little time to run. We have a big C5 event coming up in Wales in April so if I keep going and keep working hard every day on it, I may just get it all done in time for this event  - I cant think of anything better than going to the C5 meeting, along the M4, in my Rancho towing a trailer with 4 Sinclair C5's in it !!!!

Which actually leads me onto my next question for all you knowledgable people.

A Sinclair C5 only weighs in at 30kg each, so 4 of them equals only 120kgs. If these C5's were in a lightweight trailer, am I right thinking the Rancho would have no trouble pulling the trailer ?

I worry as the Rancho only has a little engine and after all the work I am putting into restoring it, which is good for me as my knowledge of cars is very little and I am literally learning as I go along, i would hate to put the Rancho under any strain that it is not up to doing !!

I am guessing it would have no trouble at all, but would like to ask to be sure. My Dad, who also has no idea with cars, reckons you need at least 2000cc to pull a trailer - but that cant be right can it !?

LOL

Mark

2 Matra Ranchos
1 Mazda E2000
21 Sinclair C5's !!!
tmrancho2

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:16 pm »

I really wish I could start mine Mark but unable to at the mo due to another restoration project that seems to have taken over my life.

The Maximum towing trailer weight  for a Rancho as stated in the sales brochure is 850KG (Braked), doesn't say anything about unbraked though.

The kerb-weight of a Rancho is 1129Kg so it sounds about right as they recommend about 75%-85% of the towing vehicle for the weight of the trailer, it also states the max payload is 519kg.

Are you still having trouble with pics, you could email them to me and I'll put them up if that's easier.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:31 pm »

I really wish I could start mine Mark but unable to at the mo due to another restoration project that seems to have taken over my life.

Are you still having trouble with pics, you could email them to me and I'll put them up if that's easier.

That would be great mate if you would be happy to put my pics on the forum, I will take some more good up to date pics and email them to you.

Just been chatting to a friend of mine who is in the Sierra Owners Club and he mentioned that there was a Ford enthusaist who also had a Brown/Gold Rancho, as soon as he said that I knew it was you due the the cars sat next to the Rancho in your pic !!

LOL

Thanks mate, will email the pics to you asap, probably tomorrow night, I will send you a selection and you can discard the ones you dont like !

What email address should I send them too ?

Thanks again Martin mate

Mark

2 Matra Ranchos
1 Mazda E2000
21 Sinclair C5's !!!
tmrancho2

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 10:58:47 pm »

That would be me then your mate is talking about, I'm famous now  Grin

I'll PM the email address to use, really looking forward to your pictures.

Where abouts in the country are you located, I'm in Hastings East Sussex.

P.S. tell your mate it's bronze, have you decided on a colour for yours yet.

lewisman

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:48:33 pm »

Hi Mark

The 1442 engine is quite pokey for its size, however an easy upgrade is to find a 1592 Alpine/Solara engine.  Make sure it has the twin choke carbs as some of the ones with a single choke carb had a different camshaft.  The only difference is a re-bore from 76.7 to 80.6 the stroke is the same.

Of course finding an Alpine or a Solara 1.6 might not be so easy nowadays but you found 2 Ranchos so nothings impossible!

David
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: