| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Could I kill my dear Renault mechanic?  (Read 7310 times)
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« on: February 15, 2008, 08:38:46 pm »

Hello!

Some of you may recall I had a problem with my Espace stalling when passing from cold to warm... also, it is very hard to start when engine is warm or hot  Huh

When I took my Espace to Renault for the (unneeded) 5000 Euro head repair  Shocked , besides the oil-water mix,  I told them explicitly to replace engine temperature sensor.  They told me there was no error code from the ECU but, anyway, had replaced it. But problem persisted.

So as my trusty Tongue Renault garage was unable to fix that problem, I let it go for some time while thinking what I could do. Finally, I took the Espace to an independent garage I trust. Today, I have got a call from the mechanic (who is the owner of the garage). He said that there is an error code... for the temperature sensor and that it was obviously an old unitAngry Angry Angry

I am feeling really bad about this... How an official Renault garage could be so bad / untrusty / thieves cave ...?. Of course, I paid for the replacement sensor (sadly, that time I didn't ask for old parts).

Until next week I won't be sure if all the problem is just the sensor. But, anyway, I think I have had enough and will go to in few days to Renault and file a formal claim  Angry

Now I feel a bit better  Wink

Best regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:45:30 am »

These temp sensensors are not very expencive and if it turns out your car now becomes ok and the Renault garage is unable to document that they infact did change it on your request i would say you are up for some heavy compensation for your trouble on this problem - even if it is no fault code on it it is still worth renewing this sensor - they fail in various ways, it was changed on my car due to starting trouble a couple of years ago - i also have a friend that had a new heater system installed (Ebersp.) and when finished he could not get the cooling fans to start and the temperature on the car seemed really hot. System bleeded several times. No fault codes and finaly he measured the temp sensor and guess what, it was way off its normal values. Bought a brand new one, problem still not solved - lots of scratching head. After more hours, well - check the new sensor and guess what - it was broken aswell... believe it... New one ordered and presto everything ok. So i would say that these temp sensors are not fool proof in any way and should not be ignored, it is one of the cheapest parts in the engine room.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:29 pm »

Hello!

These temp sensensors are not very expencive and if it turns out your car now becomes ok and the Renault garage is unable to document that they infact did change it on your request i would say you are up for some heavy compensation for your trouble on this problem - even if it is no fault code on it it is still worth renewing this sensor - they fail in various ways, it was changed on my car due to starting trouble a couple of years ago - i also have a friend that had a new heater system installed (Ebersp.) and when finished he could not get the cooling fans to start and the temperature on the car seemed really hot. System bleeded several times. No fault codes and finaly he measured the temp sensor and guess what, it was way off its normal values. Bought a brand new one, problem still not solved - lots of scratching head. After more hours, well - check the new sensor and guess what - it was broken aswell... believe it... New one ordered and presto everything ok. So i would say that these temp sensors are not fool proof in any way and should not be ignored, it is one of the cheapest parts in the engine room.

Well, I have just received a call from my trusty mechanic... he has replaced the sensor... and problems are gone for good  Grin Grin Grin !!!

I am very happy on one side, as that problem has been present for almost three years now in the Espace (since I bought it back in March 2005!) BUT I am very upset with the Renault garage  Angry Angry... I will pick up the old sensor and the new invoice from the mechanic and then will go, without previous communication, to Renault and file a claim. Really TWO claims, as there were two different repairs. I plan also to write a detailed letter to Renault Spain.

I guess Automocion Edetana (which is the name of that sad place) will regret having taken me. Time will tell  Angry!!!

Best regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:26:32 pm »

Good luck, José!

You have gone through a lot of trouble with this car and you have been very persistent.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »

Hi Anders and all readers!

I have picked up the car today from the trusty garage... YES, IT WORKS FINE  Grin Grin !!!!!

Now, it starts on cold in just a couple seconds or less... and also in warm or hot conditions, just at the touch of the key. The mechanic has provided me with a set of several diagnostic printouts where you can see the failure it had and the instability it produced: at idle, injection time was varying a lot, from 2 to about 7 ms... now it varies just from 2.0 to 2.2ms!. Lambda value is now 1.016 at idle and 1.000 at 2500rpm  Cheesy . And so on...

Once on the road, car is plain silky... until you press on accelerator  Wink

I have reseted the trip computer as I guess consumption will be lower now.

All in all, I am finally happy with the car... after THREE LONG YEARS  Shocked

Regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: