| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 99 jeon ignition barrell  (Read 5453 times)
shawnvic

« on: March 22, 2008, 03:37:12 am »

i have a 1999 jeon and the ignition barrell  has stopped returning after starting,i have to turn it back is this a sealed unit,also due to the imobiliser does this mean new keys and barrell anyone any idea as to cost many thanks shawn
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:57:45 pm »

i have a 1999 jeon and the ignition barrell  has stopped returning after starting,i have to turn it back is this a sealed unit,also due to the imobiliser does this mean new keys and barrell anyone any idea as to cost many thanks shawn

Hi Shawn,

The physical locks, the remote locking and the immobiliser are separate things.  Your present key/plip is made up of three items (see my FAQ pages) so if the steering lock barrel has failed and you need a new lock, you will have to do this:  Change the lock barrel for another (new or secondhand) which will have a new physical key or keys.  If you get a second hand one which has the old electronic Plip part too, then separate the key blade from the Plip and fit the blade to your present Plip in place of the present blade.

This will allow the Plip/blade to both unlock/lock the doors remotely using the Plip, and physically unlock the steering lock with the blade that fits the lock.  Your existing Plip will also be recognised by the immobiliser system and allow the car to start.  However, the one thing it will no longer do, is open the door lock on the front door if the remote locking fails, so you will need to either change that too or carry a key that fits it, in case of an emergency.

So if you get a secondhand steering lock, try to get the door locks too so that one blade fits both steering and door locks.  There is only one front door lock (on the left master door - remember this is a LHD design so this is the 'drivers' door and it was not changed for RHD versions).  Also the tailgate has a lock.

Roy

shawnvic

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »

thanks roy,sorry reply been so long coming been changing timming belt,to no avail may i add
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: