| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2.2 dci Interior lights Mystery  (Read 6711 times)
choowonit

« on: February 02, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »

Struggling with this one any advice would be apreciated

Only the front interior lights come on when i open the front doors of my 98 espace, if i open any of the rears nothing comes on

I have checked all the lights, they all work in manual, tested the door pins with a meter, but scrating my head now Embarrassed
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:25:11 pm »

Struggling with this one any advice would be apreciated

Only the front interior lights come on when i open the front doors of my 98 espace, if i open any of the rears nothing comes on

I have checked all the lights, they all work in manual, tested the door pins with a meter, but scrating my head now Embarrassed

It is the lights I'm afraid.  If you take them out and look at them carefully, you will see that there is a small metal roller on a plastic pin and when you rock the switch to one side the roller makes contact with one terminal (for manual operation) and the other side is for door operation.  The problem is that the roller does not make a proper contact for the door operation, so they won't come on in this position.  You can test the continuity with a meter and you will not get a good contact.  I've seen this so many times, I've lost count!

Roy

renaultbiler

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:20:27 am »

Is it a BII box or not in your car ?? (do you have IR sender on key and Jaeger on instrument cluster?)
If it is not the lamps, they behave -and are controlled differently -depending on BII or not

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
choowonit

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »

Sorry for the hoooooge delay getting back

Thanks Roy, all the lights work very well in manual, but no power through a meter to them on the door switch input

Thanks Biler yes it has the IR sensor on the fob & Jaeger on the instruments, any clues as to why ?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »

Thanks Roy, all the lights work very well in manual, but no power through a meter to them on the door switch input...

The door switch is simply a switched earth.  The same power wire feeds the lamp whether for door switch or manual mode.  So the power (live feed) is there all the time and if it works in manual mode then it is there for door switch mode.  When you switch them on manually that tiny roller inside the lamp makes contact for the earth wire at the lamp, and they come on.  When you change the position of the switch for door operation, the roller does not make clean contact (as it should) so there is no path to the door switch for earthing as the doors are opened.  The fault is in the lamp.

Try removing the faulty lamp and fitting one that you know works, to the existing wires, and you will see that it does work.  There is no different supply, only a different earth, but the fault is in the lamp.  The tiny roller simply does not make contact in the 'auto' position.  As I said check, the continuity and you will see it is poor or non-existent.  I have seen it many times.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: