| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Print
Author Topic: Worklog of my car  (Read 207484 times)
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »

Okay,now we are getting somewhere....

Just opened the brakemaster, and seems like I may have found the problem.... Or problems.... Seems to be all my fault, not looking good enough at Roy's manual.

First, it seems like I have managed to insert the inner(rear) piston the wrong way, which would make it impossible to build pressure, since the valve inside would then let air back through.

Secondly, the springs were swapped. Perhaps this didn't do anything, but it's nice to have them correctly.

And thirdly, also not sure, but there was a possibilty that the piston was not inserted deeply enough for the pin to lock it, could have been inserted to it locked the piston from moving, which wouldn't help on getting any pressure in the curcuit.

Alll these have now been fixed, so will try to reassemble later today, and bleed the system. Hopefully that will fix it now.

How it was fitted:

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
maxderoswell

« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »

Does anybody know which connector this is...? I have difficulty identifying it, and one side is connected with 6 wires, the other with just 5....  Huh

Hello,

this wires go to the Lucas 6DA Wiper control modul.

It's for the wiper speed.

Friendly

Mathieu
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2012, 03:03:20 am »

Okay, after a rather eventfull summer, lost girlfriend  Grin but got new job  Grin, I have looked a little at my dear old Goldie.

Figured it was time to do something about the "not running smoothly" thing.
When I brought her, she was barely limping, had to hav almost full choke.
Tracked the first problem to be the breatherhose from the enginecover. It wasn't loose, it was completly open!
After fitting now hoses, she got better, but was still sounding like an astmathic grandmother.
Needed a lot less choke, but cut the choke and she would spit like hell and die out.
Like many, I have suspected a little airleak somewhere, so i went round and have replaced all(I think) vacuumhoses with new ones. still showe improvment, but not there yet.

So, yesterday I had an idea. there are ywo vacuum ports on the intakemanifold, since I didn't have anything to plug them with, I just shorted them with a piece of vacuumtube, and fired the old gal.

How's this for not using ANY choke on her...?  Grin

http://youtu.be/UpDdAcgxeJQ?hd=1

Tried her a little slowly up the street, and there seems to still be something "funny" going on...
although no choke was needed, she still switched between reving normally and spitting like hell when I hit the accelerator....

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »

Good to hear you're still keeping your spirits high... The two vacuum hoses you disconnected go to the headlight vacuum system, which is notorious for giving problems, and to the brake vacuum booster, which could also be leaking. The stiff pipe connecting the booster and engine could also crack. It's a good idea to disconnect them since that allows you to test for other problems.

I suggest your next step is to renew the manifold gasket: It could very well be leaking. The most difficult thing about the job is to get access to the nuts on the bottom side of the manifold, but it's not that bad if you take it easy.

I remember you had the carb off to clean it: Did you check for any spindle play? Carburettor spindles are a common source of vacuum leaks. It's normally the main spindle that leaks since that does most of the movement and if there's a lot of play, it is possible to take the spindle out and grease it well with silicone grease which resists petrol to some degree. That should get you going for a while.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:07 am »

Good to hear you're still keeping your spirits high... The two vacuum hoses you disconnected go to the headlight vacuum system, which is notorious for giving problems, and to the brake vacuum booster, which could also be leaking. The stiff pipe connecting the booster and engine could also crack. It's a good idea to disconnect them since that allows you to test for other problems.

I suggest your next step is to renew the manifold gasket: It could very well be leaking. The most difficult thing about the job is to get access to the nuts on the bottom side of the manifold, but it's not that bad if you take it easy.

I remember you had the carb off to clean it: Did you check for any spindle play? Carburettor spindles are a common source of vacuum leaks. It's normally the main spindle that leaks since that does most of the movement and if there's a lot of play, it is possible to take the spindle out and grease it well with silicone grease which resists petrol to some degree. That should get you going for a while.

/Anders

I see your point Anders, but surely the main reason has got to be somewhere in the vacuum system, since with it bypassed it idled perfectly. Come to think of it, it probably has unleaded 95 without lead substitute additive... Could that be the reason...?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2012, 08:41:45 am »

No I don't think fuel octane could be the cause of this problem.

Getting the car to idle is usually not a problem despite vacuum leaks: It's just a question of giving the idle screw a turn or two more outwards. But you are probably finding that idle isn't completely stable.

You really have to be systematic here: You have found and temporarily fixed a vacuum leaks. There are likely to be at leat one more, so I'd go and look for it Smiley

/Anders

Used to own:
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:35 am »

There is a good method to find vacume leaks.
Start the engine and adjust idle that it stays running.
Use a spray-gun (could be a old glass-clean bottle) with water.
Spray at inlet-manifold an other suspected points.
If the engine react on the spray you found a leak.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #232 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »

I was playing around some more with the car today(not much time between rainshowers and a nasty seperation here now....), trying to track further down what could be the leak. It was ideling very good, choughed a little if I gave it to much throttle at once, whereas a bit moderat acceleration gave no problem. Suddenly when it coughed, I noticed my habd was hit by some gasoline(Yes I was in the back revingit by hand) From what I can tell, this shouldn't happen, and would indicate some gasket around there gone bad....

This is a view in that direction(snatched from Anders D.)
The top gasket between the plastiv neck and carb, seem fine, but dry.
The gasket between the two halfes is a bit harder to tell, but I wouldn't think there could be any pressure bolwing out this way...
The two at the spacer also seemed fine but try.

Could some/any of these gaskets be made from materials brought wholesale, or are there very spesific materials where they are?
And if so, would anybody happen to have those two at the spacer laying around left over....?

NOT MY PIC! WILL POST WHEN TAKEN

NOT MY PIC! WILL POST WHEN TAKEN

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #233 on: July 25, 2012, 06:09:30 am »

If petrol sprays out of the carburettor when you operate the throttle levers, it must be coming from the acceleration pump. This could explain the behaviour you're seeing as without the acceleration pump, the engine will not take throttle.

The acceleration pump is the only part of the system where there is any kind of fuel pressure involved - otherwhise, a carburettor works by suction only. And my first thought is: Did you fit a correct o-ring in the stud that connects the top and bottom parts of the carburettor?

The o-ring that comes with the gasket kit is too large; fitting it results in this:

See: http://dinsen.net/murena/carburettor/maintenance

/Anders

PS: I don't mind at all you using my photos if you find them useful for illustration
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:30:13 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:02 am »

Hmm, what would be the correct size for that o-ring Anders?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:59 am »

Quote from my page  Smiley

"This must fit the 2 mm groove in the spigot and the 5.5 mm matching recess."

So a 2 x 2 mm o-ring should seal tightly.

Used to own:
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »

Hmm Anders, does this seem familiar....?   Shocked

so, next will be to get a correct size O-ring. How about the gaskets? I seem to have a reapirset for the carb from Simon, but this does not have the gaskets between the manifold/spacer and not between the airpipe-bend.
Can these be made from the paper or fibercloth "gasket-raw-material" availible at Biltema....?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

Hmm, yes it reminds me of something  Grin

Don't worry about the two gaskets on the bottom and the one on the top of the carb, as unless they are obviously blown or cracked, they will be ok.
The new main gasket (inside the carb) will need to have the hole to the spigot extended a bit.

/Anders

Used to own:
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »

Widening the hole(or mounting the o-ring after the gasket shouldn't be a problem.

I think I will try to make new ones, since the are extremly dry and would crack if I looked at them the wrong way....
Any ideas as to paper or fiber for the gasket....?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2012, 05:59:26 am »

The o-ring is not to be found in car-shops.
I found the right O-ring at a parts-delivery firm for agricultural machinery.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: