| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have any plans of going to watch any motor racing this year?  (Read 20735 times)
davidewanprice
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »

Last year I attended the Le Mans series 1000km race at Silverstone and i was one of 2 Matras to attend (sadly not on the same day but) and i was wondering if anyone was thinking of attending any races this year, maybe we can make something of it and get a few Matras together. I normally go to Le Mans every year and sadly this year im getting married, so Le Mans is off (I'm gutted, please don't tell me ive got my priorities wrong, i know i have!). However where possible i'd still like to show my face (and car) at a few local events. I will be sure to go to the 1000 km again this year but theres loads on so if you have any plans, let me know. I also know that its classic Le mans this year and Roy and other may be attending again, lucky devils. Maybe we can use this thread to get fellow Matra owners/fans to meet up.... Later i'll post a list of some of the things I’ll be attending and a few other dates to pop in your calendar
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »

I'm going to Le Mans 24h - in the Grand Espace. The Classic won't be this year - I'm hoping for 2010 Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:11:09 pm »

Well I usually go to the A1GP, DTM and WTCC at Brands Hatch in the Matra.

So if anyone goes to those events, we could get a little Matra show going on!
davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:18 am »

Your a lucky man Anders, I think this year should be good, Audi will have to work hard for a change if want to win again, and theres lots of private teams to take on the Pescarolos. As for the Classic, its something i'd love to do but its getting the time off. My dad goes every time and so does Roy, i have some great footage of some Matra Murenas doing a lap of the 24h circuit with all types of exotic cars... Maybe 2010 then! ?
davidewanprice
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:02:14 am »

Well I usually go to the A1GP, DTM and WTCC at Brands Hatch in the Matra.

So if anyone goes to those events, we could get a little Matra show going on!

Brands is a circuit ive never been to as its way down south but i'd love to go, maybe i could treat myself to a visit this year and watch the WTCC, I'll look at the dates
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:17:34 am »

Brands is a great circuit and only 30 mins drive from my house, which is a bonus.

It is set in a bowl, so you get a good view of the lots of the track from almost anywhere.

The A1GP or WTCC would be best to see as they have the Heritage Touring Cars as a support race, which is fantastic.

Let me know if you go to the WTCC and we can meet up in the car park beforehand.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:09:39 pm »

Your a lucky man Anders, I think this year should be good, Audi will have to work hard for a change if want to win again, and theres lots of private teams to take on the Pescarolos. As for the Classic, its something i'd love to do but its getting the time off. My dad goes every time and so does Roy, i have some great footage of some Matra Murenas doing a lap of the 24h circuit with all types of exotic cars... Maybe 2010 then! ?

It will be my first Le Mans, so I'm REALLY looking forward to it!! Audi worked very hard last year they ran the R8's and made it first despite everything, so I'm sure every one else is also planning to work really-really hard to beat them. They just have that reliability thing (in the team too) - and I bet they won't loose any wheels this year!! It will be fun to see how the Porsche Spyders do this year. We have a Danish entry in one of those this year. Otherwise we just plan to see what happens - I'm actually going with two of my boys!

Classic 2010 in the Murena is a deal! Smiley It will be a thrill to do the circuit!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:11:57 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
davidewanprice
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:20:57 pm »

Im sure you and your boys will love it... And you wont be alone, half of Denmark goes to le mans at the moment, which provides a great atmosphere. To say theres so many people from so many countries (and quite often theres european or world cup football cups being played too) theres nothing but a great party atmosphere, and great cars EVERYWHERE!

If i were you i'd get to the track early on race day if you dont have grandstand seating as the start is REALLY special, but it will be rubbish for the kids if your near the back.

Ive been every year since 1995.. and once you've been its hard not to go back.

I must ask Roy if he has a copy of the Murenas from the last classic, ive got it on video but should really try to get it converted for all to see!
davidewanprice
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »

Brands is a great circuit and only 30 mins drive from my house, which is a bonus.

It is set in a bowl, so you get a good view of the lots of the track from almost anywhere.

The A1GP or WTCC would be best to see as they have the Heritage Touring Cars as a support race, which is fantastic.

Let me know if you go to the WTCC and we can meet up in the car park beforehand.

Brands is a great looking track, i live 1 hour from Donnington Park which is similar for viewing and its got some beautiful corners, but i may take you up and come down to Brands, ive got some nice pictures of brands hatch with Matra 670's racing somewhere.

Whats your thoughts on A1GP? Ive never taken interest, maybe ive been missing out? WTCC sounds great though, especially with Heritage Touring Cars as support. Im not really a fan of the track but i used to go to the Coys Classic at silverstone, that was fantastic. There was literally Millions of £ worth of cars and you had unlimited accress, ive seen and photo'ed cars i never thought i'd see in anything but books! And the racing was fantastic, to see 60's and 70's cars race was fantastic, F1 cars make silverstones corners look like straights!
davidewanprice
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:09:26 pm »

Bummer!
So far looking at the dates of the WTCC im at a wedding and then i was looking at the British GT but that on a weekend im working, no good so far! found a few great events near me though, on the 13th of April at Cadwell Park there is the Historic car chamionships, the following weekend at donnington there is Classic grand prix masters.... this one sounds amazing, look it up, however im at a wedding, Ie got to that stage in my life where everyone i know is getting married, including me, why cant they have them during the weeks so not to affect my plans?Huh
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:25:56 pm by davidewanprice » Logged
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 09:56:27 pm »

A1GP is ok, but not brilliant. It is getting better though now some of the more...err...inexperienced countries are getting the hang of it.

The cars are pretty quick and are a good spectacle. The series does tend to attract a good set of support races too.

It is probably the biggest "day" at Brands and seems to attract bigger crowds than the DTM or WTCC. They use the GP circuit too, which is cool.

I've only ever been to rock festivals at Donnington, so I only know it as a track from playing GT legends on my PC. I can fling a Lotus Cortina round it in fine style!

The Coys classic sounds great and similar to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, which is quite incredible. I actually touched a Jaguar XJ13...!

Shame you can't make any of the big races at Brands, what about the DTM on 30/31 August? That is quite a spectacle seeing monster Audis and Mercs squeezed onto the Indy circuit. Alesi, Hakinen and Frentzen race too.
davidewanprice
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:39:48 pm »

I did look at that one to but it may cause issues for the bride, its my wedding day! Do you make to Goodwood most years, some of my friends have been and said its really something special, again its a long way to go, 11,12,13th July, classic Le Mans weekend and im working... Oh work sucks!

Bit of a rocker then were/are you?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:44:53 pm by davidewanprice » Logged
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:12 pm »

Surely she'll understand your need to see some car racing on your wedding day!?

Seriously though, all the best. Maybe go to Brands for the honeymoon? There's a lovely Holiday Inn nearby...

Yes, still rocking at my ripe old age! Too old for festivals though.
davidewanprice
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:51 am »

39 isn’t that old, but you'll always be 8 years on me!  Grin I'll be sure ask for the brandshatch honeymoon. Thanks for your well wishes but I’d prefer donations, its costing a fortune! My wife to be has no idea how to budget! Still I’ll be driving to my wedding in my Murena, I originally had plans of hiring something special for the weekend, but realized that I’ve already got something, and she spent my money on her cars!

How long have you had a Murena and what made you buy it?
davidewanprice
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 09:51:04 pm »

Ive just booked my first (of many I hope) motorracing event of the year, Oulton Park on the 24th March for the British GT and F3 Championship, cant wait
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: