| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TIMING BELT KIT OR NO KIT ???  (Read 7129 times)
ESPACED

« on: June 15, 2008, 10:29:16 pm »

Hi Guys,
its been a while since i last posted.. have stripe my engine completely..
have a desent block now ( also changed piston rings), mine was in a mess, 3rd piston was knacker and so was the bore..
working on the head now which i have had has skimmed and presure tested and needed the glow plugs drilled out..
cleaned all the values up and put new gromits..
its cost me a small fortune and thats doing it myself.
question is timing belt. do i realy need the kit?Huh or not
please advise, as i don't realy want to buy it if its not needed as it cost quite alot.
many thanks
Tony
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:48:04 am »

You've gone so far Tony, why risk undoing all the hard work by putting the old belt back on, having it break on you, stuffing a piston or two up into the valves and having to take the engine back out again?

When mine was changed about a year ago the kit was £119.00. I know that it's adding yet more money to an already expensive job but changing the cam belt is far from easy with the engine in the car in any case.... it's so much easier whilst you have the engine out and then at least you have the peace of mind that it shouldn't need changing again for another 72,000 miles Wink

Also, there is a reason why they sell a timing belt kit complete with idler and tensioner pulleys..... and that's because they are also ready for changing at the same time as the belt because if they fail you still risk doing damage to the engine if the belt isn't tensioned due to a pulley bearing collapse, starts skipping teeth and throws out the valve timing.

So Tony, as you will have gathered, my advice for what it's worth, would be to swallow hard, give the plastic card another hit and give yourself complete peace of mind and the satisfaction that you shouldn't need to spend any more time or money on the engine for quite some time.

Martin
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:05:38 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
ESPACED

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:52 pm »

Hi Martin,
thanks for your reply.
I was always going to put a new belt on, just wasn't sure if I should bother with the kit.
I think swallowing hard is very good advise and thank you for it, I've read carfully what you have said and taken it on boards and your right.
Thats 1 more thing on the shopping list.

I have never owned an espace before or even driven one, I hope its all worth it..

again thanks for the advise Grin

best regards
Tony
roa

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:58:35 am »

I would love to see some pictures from this job! Also it would be interesting to see a partslist/pricelist .

Good luck - I believe it will all be worth it when you're done!
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:13:21 pm »

If you haven't yet ordered the timing belt kit Tony you may be able to save a little as I spotted one that is listed as being for a 2.2dCi on e-Bay.

It's a Genuine Renault kit and brand new with a Buy It Now price of £99.95 plus £5.95 postage

The item number is 360061584117

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
ESPACED

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:40:19 am »

Hi Martin
thanks for that but have already ordered kit. fortunately the motor parts shop have been giving me trade prices, but it  still mounts up.

Roa will put pictures up ASAP but I'm a little short of spare time at the mo.

again thanks for all the help and advise give

will let you know the outcome of this project soon

Tony
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: