| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What plastic material is the tank made of?  (Read 11456 times)
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« on: May 07, 2008, 11:29:43 am »

Hi,

I need to know which plastic material the fuel tank is made from?
Believe it's HDPE or PVC...

I recall it being mentioned in the workshop manual, but I don't have it at the garage where I am at the moment!

Anyone remembers or got the workshop manual at hand?

Thanks,
Valdemar
Oskar

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:02 pm »

I think its HDPE.  you can try to burn the plastic (I know its not a great idea to set the tank on fire  Roll Eyes )  but polyeten should burn with a clear yellow light

are you thinking of running your murena on ethanol?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:18 am »

quote]are you thinking of running your murena on ethanol?[/quote]
Might be the only option we have in a few years time  Sad.... assuming we wont be fitting electric motors instead Smiley
Waldo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:46:54 am »

Hmm... not ethanol I will be using diesel, and I need to do a little welding to modify the tank.
Don't go tell the car inspection though Wink
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:05:01 am »

are you thinking of running your murena on ethanol?
Might be the only option we have in a few years time  Sad

That's very unlikely considuering the current food crisis which is - at least to some extent - caused by the growing demand for biofuels!

Hmm... not ethanol I will be using diesel, and I need to do a little welding to modify the tank.
Don't go tell the car inspection though Wink

Lips Sealed

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:03:14 pm »

ANDERS!!... if he wants to make a diesel Murena he is in his good right to do so... stop making faces of him!!  Tongue Grin Cheesy

IMHO biofuels are an emergancy "stop gap" solution at best... as soon as people see the light we are headed for electric cars.. mark my words..!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:16 pm »

ANDERS!!... if he wants to make a diesel Murena he is in his good right to do so... stop making faces of him!!  Tongue Grin Cheesy

Oups, I think I might have used the smiley incorrectly..... sorry! I jsut meant I was going to keep my mouth shut.
I'm full of respect for anyone who takes on a big project and completes it! Cheesy

IMHO biofuels are an emergancy "stop gap" solution at best... as soon as people see the light we are headed for electric cars.. mark my words..!

These will effectively be wind powered vehicles! - at least here in Denmark Wink The idea is to make an intelligent charging network that effectively stores otherwise unused wind energy in the cars during nighttime. According to some reports I've read, there's already being produced enough wind electricity in this country to power our entire fleet of cars - if they were electric.

But the only electric sportts caar I have seen so far is the Tesla, which is built on the Elise platform. However, instead of having an 800 kg agile car, the Tesla is a 1200 kg dog! So batteries really must improve by a lot before we can have "electric fun", IMHO.

Meanwhile, Waldo will probably get a lot of fun once he goes on the road - and black smoke frfom the tyres! Cheesy

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Waldo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »

Hi Krede and Anders,

I don't want to get into this bio - electric power discussion, just read the big thread regarding all your different views on this!

I'm simply installing the a HDI engine because I like diesel engine (have allways been driving diesel cars, even before the commonrail days).
They offer very good reliability, economy, power and last but not least TORQUE  Grin

I have a bet going with quite a few people by now... Maybe some of you would like to join?
I claim that I will have a Murena HDI doing the below listed on 1 tank of diesel:
>20km/l
0-100 km/h < 9 sec.
80-120 km/h in 5th < 10 sec. (faster than the 177hk petrol Peugeot 206)!

I'm offering a crate of beer if I haven't succeded within 18 months from now...

Any takers?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:05 pm »

I don't want to get into this bio - electric power discussion, just read the big thread regarding all your different views on this!

... I guess I'll have to visit Anders and have a chat with him about electric cars when I get home then.... but as I see it, Its the most sensible long term solution for day to day transportation... well just have to save the fuel for the weekends in our Murenas Smiley

< 9sek in a Murena with a standard 1.9 hdi seems fast to me.
and 20km/l is more then TWICE of what I get with EFI... but hats off... and a cold beer on me if you pull it off  Grin
Waldo

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:48:51 pm »

Who said anything about standard...  Wink

I expect to have it chipped and an intercooler installed before those performance figures can be reached.
I admit I might even need to change the ECU program during the test, but I'm confident I will get there...

My parents Peugeot 406 Estate does 17-19 km/l without problems. It's 1450kg, the front area a lot bigger and I believe the CW value is very similar to the Murena (if not higher when the headlights are down).

If I'm struggeling to make it, I will run 175/55-15 front, 195/55-16 rear...
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »

Hi
The German magasine Auto Motor und Sport has just tested BMW 120 diesel (2.0L turbo and 204 HP) against the Golf GTI petrol (2.0 l turbo and 200 HP).
And the magaisn found the BMW the most sporting drive!

Hans
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: